jvc air cushion burn in time.
Dec 20, 2009 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gdog

New Head-Fier
I bought some jvc air cushions to replace my broken fx34's and while the fit is nice, the sound is not that great. The low mids are too high, the rest of the mids are too low and the highs are sharp at times. I have read some reviews that said after burn in the sound greatly improved. I wondered how long I should burn them in before I make a final decision. I know there have been threads on burn in, but I wondered if anyone had some direct experience on the fx66's.

Thanks,
geoff

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 8
Sorry, can't give you a number but I will say that my old FX66 sound much better than my old kramered FX34's. Both are very well-burned in - well over 300 hours. Sharp highs are definitely a non-issue on my FX66, so just put some hours on them and see if you start hearing improvement.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 8
I like the 33/34s better than the 66s. Both new and used. YMMV. TEHO (to each his own). I think the 66s are bloated and shrill just as you described them. Plus, mine eventually started to lose one channel. I had relegated them to podcast duty. The 33s are back on the case, much more durable. But mine is one opinion.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies. I will just burn them in overnight for the next week and if they dont improve I will send them back. Not sure what I will get though, I really like the comfort and fit of the 66's. Dont want another set of 34's because the tips crack. Also I can get a decent sound using my creative zen eq. On the other hand my ipod touch eq is a joke.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 8
I bought the Air Cushions a few months ago and have been loving them. The wonky bass/lower mids response won't go away, though. It's a part of the AC's sound sig. Out of curiosity I picked up a set of Skullcandy Titans. Yes, I know. I actually bought Skullcandy. You know what, though? They sound better than the JVCs. Their engineering sucks (skullcandy logos embedded in the canal sleeves? What? Also, in winter they're like heat sinks for your ears.) but the sound is much more balanced than the JVCs.

Seriously consider these if you're looking for decent around around the same price and feel like replacing your ACs.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 8
I had the Air Cushions, and I would have to agree the 33/34's are much better once you have done the Kramer mod.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 8
I bought a pair of the FX66s a few months back. I was greatly disappointed in their sound. Mine are very muffled. I burned them in several days and didn't hear any appreciable improvement.

Now I'm new to high quality IEMs. At the same time I bought the FX66s, I bought the Maximo iMetal 590s, and the HiFiMan RE0s. But I'm not holding them to that standard. I have a 5 year old pair of Koss KEB24s well beaten from yard work duty. Although the KEB24s were purchased at Wal-Mart for <$20 they are much better sounding in all facets than the FX66s that I have.

Maybe I just have a bad pair of FX66s but they sound muddy to me.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Unfortunately, the 66's I have sound the same way, for affordable headphones the 33/34's are much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back