Justifying high end cans to non audiophiles
Mar 18, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokpie
I'm not really concerned with what she thinks etc. She isn't actually much of a nag when it comes to my gadgets. But I'm looking for a way to help her understand/appreciate, I just can't describe to her what to listen for for her to notice differences.

OIC
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, it does take some ear training... maybe have her switch back and forth a few times between some really cheap earbuds and better cans? In particular, choose some well recorded music that really shows off the differences.

Sometimes just A/B'ing isn't enough too, so maybe pick a song she really likes and will listen to carefully, instead of just for a few seconds...

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #17 of 26
I don't have that problem.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #18 of 26
Mokpie, it may be the case that your GF can hear the difference clearly, but just isn't interested in phones because of a perceived geekiness with the situation, and filtered the whole thing out.
IME this disinterest never occurs with a good speaker setup - normal people (ie not Audio freaks in any way) tend to comment very positively and wow to the new experience - but don't necessarily convert and go out and buy a good rig themselves...different priorities.
Anyway, you don't have to justify to anyone except yourself
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 26
If you want to piss them off just tell them you have so much disposable income that you blow money off on meaningless worthless things like headphones and call girls like his sister/girlfriend/daughter (fill in blank)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #20 of 26
It's been long proven in tests by magazines and Dr Floyd Toole's extensive NRC research that everybody can tell the difference between good sound and bad sound. However, how much one can notice depends on whether they are paying attention or not. Most people just use music as a background music, or in hostile environments like commuting, so they are not likely to notice if they don't sit down and LISTEN.

The most one can do is to educate to them there IS a difference, and to make it clear that you don't need a golden ear to discern the differences. Usually, going speaker shopping and A/B switching two different speakers is enough to convince people that not all speakers sound alike, and that the same principle occurs with headphones.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 26
Some headphones sound better than others and it's perceptible by humans. They also tend to cost more money and so does the accompanying equipment. High end headphones are a luxury item and with all other such items it's a matter of choosing how best to use your money. What brings the most enjoyment at the least price to a head-fi member is not necessarily as beneficial to someone else.

I don't see why someone needs to justify high-end cans any more than one needs to justify an unusually expensive TV, a home theater system, an expensive car, artwork, purchasing large quantities of CDs, eating expensive food, and so on. They are all pursuits that bring enjoyment to those who pursue them, cost more money than is strictly necessary, generally pass the points of decreasing returns, and are not to everyone's tastes or benefit.

Certainly there have been worse purchases made in the past.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
You paid how much for that bag/shoes/make up ... they all hold stuff/protect your feet/ look the same?

On a more serious note we all have our own hobbies and priorities... some people spend on wine, cigars, food, clothes, baseball cards, you name it...

My sentiments exactly. If they dig it, great, if not well, then the above applies more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back