Just which is the most expensive headphone amp??
Jan 5, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #31 of 95
Disposable income. If it was "indispensable income", I would hope that someone who make their purchasing decision with more concern over value.

You just don't get it. It's not about the "bling". It's about getting exactly what you want and having the freedom to do so. Many times that has nothing to do with functionality.

I know many millionaires and a few billionaires. Most of these people work extremely hard and spend enormous sums of money on things that nobody else would care about because they have put themselves in a position to be able to do so and make plenty of more consequential financial decisions elsewhere. Undoubtedly there are times that people buy things to impress their friends or neighbors, but for the most part, they see something they want, and worry about the price tag after they have already made the decision to purchase.

Toys, whether they be cars, amps or watches, don't have to be judged solely on functionality. There is much to be said for aesthetic appeal. Most people have the good fortune of living in a world where aesthetics are a part of their daily lives and some people place more value on it than others. It has nothing to with making a "smart" decision. Furthermore, what may seem like a big difference in cost to you, is trivial to others.

Would you rather be the guy who is forced to make the "smartest" value oriented decision at every point in his life or the guy who has made enough smart decisions to be at a point where he can make a few "dumb" ones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isn't aimed at you, but rather, the statement in general about "being able to afford it".

Because you don't become rich by blowing your money on very trivial things. now I could understand buying it if it actually WERE better, and you had the money...but lets face it here....it can't possibly be.

I know people who have indispensible income. I mean INDISPENSIBLE. They bought a $40K motorcycle, an MV Agusta Tamburini. When the F4CC came out, it was the new "king of exotics" at $120K and many of them scoughed at it. You have to get an invitation to buy this bike, much like Ferrari did with the Enzo. They could buy 3 with 1 months salary, yet, they chose not to, as well, it really wasn't THAT MUCH of a better bike.

Also, you don't buy the bling things for the ego, for people that don't know about it...you buy it to feed the ego for people who DO know about it. Do you really think people buy Breitling watches because it's a superior watch? No. Half the people on this planet don't know jack about watches, and if they saw that, the first thing they would think of is "Why didn't you get a Rolex?". Because, you buy it for the ego feeding of the people who KNOW about it.

It's not a matter of being able to afford it, it's a matter if it's a smart decision. And buying a $20,000 24K gold amp, if it sonically is no better than a $1K amp is a stupid decision whether you have the money or not.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #33 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagosaku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL
Not sure if this makes sense, but anyway.
Considering there are a bunch of folks not having enough money for food, can't you argue that a Cmoy is very expensive?

Yes. It's all relative and personal preferences come into play. Nevertheless, some people seem to view their own choices as setting the benchmark for what is and is not reasonable.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #34 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disposable income. If it was "indispensable income", I would hope that someone who make their purchasing decision with more concern over value.

You just don't get it. It's not about the "bling". It's about getting exactly what you want and having the freedom to do so. Many times that has nothing to do with functionality.

I know many millionaires and a few billionaires. Most of these people work extremely hard and spend enormous sums of money on things that nobody else would care about because they have put themselves in a position to be able to do so and make plenty of more consequential financial decisions elsewhere. Undoubtedly there are times that people buy things to impress their friends or neighbors, but for the most part, they see something they want, and worry about the price tag after they have already made the decision to purchase.

Toys, whether they be cars, amps or watches, don't have to be judged solely on functionality. There is much to be said for aesthetic appeal. Most people have the good fortune of living in a world where aesthetics are a part of their daily lives and some people place more value on it than others. It has nothing to with making a "smart" decision. Furthermore, what may seem like a big difference in cost to you, is trivial to others.

Would you rather be the guy who is forced to make the "smartest" value oriented decision at every point in his life or the guy who has made enough smart decisions to be at a point where he can make a few "dumb" ones?

Whoops...that's what I meant...disposeable. What was I thinking??? lol.

Aesthetics is definitly a major factor in thier purchases. The MV agusta is nowhere near being the epitome of performance in the sportbiking world, but it can DEFINITLY hold it's own. And as far as value goes, you don't get much value out of it other build quality and reliability. Otherwise, it is infact all aesthetics. I should know...I bought one, lol. Not the $40K one, but it's an MV none the less...

I just think alot of people, especially in a small niche group like this, buy it for ego of "look at what I got" even if nobody else sees it. Or simply for the fact, knowing you got the most expensive out there. And the actual performance, like you said 2nd. But deep down, there's really no reason why ANYBODY, boatloads of money or not, would buy something like that, for any other purpose other than feeding the ego. Even if nobody sees it, he can tell himself he "has the best" and feed it himself. As we all know, some people are full of themselves...

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #35 of 95
Quote:

It's not a matter of being able to afford it, it's a matter if it's a smart decision. And buying a $20,000 24K gold amp, if it sonically is no better than a $1K amp is a stupid decision whether you have the money or not.

Absolutely love it -- I mean really love it -- when people are able to pronounce with absolute authority what's right or wrong for someone else -- a person that they know nothing about.
rolleyes.gif
And how do you know the $20,000 am is sonically no better than the $1K amp? Who says the entire price difference is the case?

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #36 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if someone is buying a headphone only amp at $15k then its mostly for "ego" or "I got to have the biggest case" thing...

of course anyone who wants to defunk my statement then post a pic whats inside the table sized amp and we shall see if the size was really used/needed..

I am not saying there is anything wrong with needing/wanting something like that..I guess we all have to make up for size at times..lol

That is ha-lare-ri-ous considering your inventory. lol

You've sorta accused yourself of having a medium-small penis.
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #37 of 95
Quote:

As we all know, some people are full of themselves...

Yeah, you got that part right.
600smile.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #39 of 95
My attitude is, if one can afford it, why the hell not? I mean, I ordered an RSA B-52, which, to most people, would be laughably idiotic. Before I made my decision, I spoke to a number of people who either owned or heard REALLY high-ticket amps like the SDS-XLR and discontinued Orpheus, and most agreed that, if you choose carefully, you can often get equivalent performance for less. But that holds true for a lot of things. Still, the perceived "best" often costs money, and companies like Singlepower and RSA make the best amps out there. People who care about audio reproduction will always seek those types of companies out.

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #40 of 95
Mitch, I don't think I would be able to say it better! I agree with everything you said 100%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The biggest difference between an expensive headphone amp and items that boost your ego- clothes, watches or expensive car is: No one sees the headphone amp and those that do don’t know what it is so what ego boost? Face it if I showed someone my PS-1’s they’d think my grandfather owned them in WW2. As for expensive cables- no one can see them and no one knows unless I tell them.

So no it’s not ego- it’s personal satisfaction. There’s something personally satisfying owning and using a finely made piece of equipment whether it is a handgun, stereo component, knife, frying pan or what ever. I personally marvel at fine engineering, quality components and thoughtful execution. There’s something-wonderful about tube audio- it’s functional art. It’s as beautiful to look at as it is enjoyable to listen to.

Take any hobby or past time and take it to the limit. You’ll find the “$15,000 headphone amp” there. Whether it is cooking, biking, skiing, playing pool or photography.

Heck go look at bathroom fixtures at home depot if you want to see excess.

Mitch

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #41 of 95
But when money is such a limited measurement for 'value', isn't such benchmark totally meaningless?
Or does it have actual benefit like making the tube lost longer or even better, wife happier ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. It's all relative and personal preferences come into play. Nevertheless, some people seem to view their own choices as setting the benchmark for what is and is not reasonable.

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #42 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely love it -- I mean really love it -- when people are able to pronounce with absolute authority what's right or wrong for someone else -- a person that they know nothing about.
rolleyes.gif
And how do you know the $20,000 am is sonically no better than the $1K amp? Who says the entire price difference is the case?

This is the type of stuff that usually (but not always) comes from college students -- a few courses, and they think are already qualified to judge the world. Seen it over and over. And yes, I DID go to college myself.

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #43 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on the equipment sold around here there must be lots of millionaires in this country.
biggrin.gif

I don't remember the exact number I last read, but it is truly a shockingly number! Heck, you wouldn't believe the number of billionares, either.

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #44 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember the exact number I last read, but it is truly a shockingly number! Heck, you wouldn't believe the number of billionares, either.

Yes, with housing prices (and the equity build up) being what they are, being a millionaire doesn't mean so much anymore. My vague recollection is that something like 5% of adults in the U.S. are now in a position where their total net worth is $1 million or more. That might be a little high, but I seem to recall it's somewhere in that range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back