Just what is it about the Hifiman Arya? (Existential crisis from a happy Focal Clear OG owner)
Mar 10, 2022 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, could use some advice here. I'm going through a bit of a crisis!

Last year, I got Focal Clears (OG) as my end game and I love them dearly. I enjoy listening to them all the time, hell sometimes I miss them when I'm not using them! Coming from the already great HD6XX and Sundara, they truly impressed me with their inner detail, slightly warm tuning, dynamism. They're so wonderfully crispy and crunchy and very balanced. I was between the Clear (just reduced to $990), Hifiman Arya (Stealth version not a thing yet) and LCD-X (no 2021 edition out yet) and picked the Clear based on their sound profile seeming to be closest to my preference, good reviews, easiest to drive with anything, good build and they just look stunning as well. They were also the cheapest, so figuring I was getting be best value, I chose them.

And I was in love on first listen..BUT...constantly, I'm seeing way more praise thrown towards the Arya and LCD-X I feel like. Like, when it's those three compared, I feel like the Clear always winds up at the the bottom. I feel like no one ever says anything bad about the Arya or LCD-X, Arya especially though (like, this has got to be one of the most universally regarded headphones I've seen below summit-fi) but the Clear gets way more criticism. Hell, I’ve even seen some people say they weren’t any better than the DT1990! I know all three are fantastic but it constantly leaves me wondering if I made the wrong choice, or, what am I missing with the Arya? I think tuning wise, I would prefer the Clear anyway (I just like warmer sounding headphones. As soon as I see a midrange described as thin I get a little shied away) and I don’t use EQ. But the Arya just seems like it might have been the better all rounder after all, and the better performer, and it does have the soundstage thing going for it, and apparently the new Stealth version has better dynamics as well so that's become less of an issue. I guess what I'm saying is, if these are all on the same playing field, then why is the Arya universally praised while the Clear is more polarizing? I also have a dynamic closed back (EMU Ebony) so I sometimes wonder if having a dynamic open back makes things redundant...

I know that people have their own preferences, including me, but I've never heard the Arya or LCD-X so I guess I just wonder what makes them so much more beloved, and what it is about it that I'm missing? Does anyone actually prefer the Clear? It’s almost as if the Clear has fallen out of fashion. I know I should just try to avoid confirmation bias, but I can't help it lol. I'm just trying to understand, considering I have no ability to try without seeing what it's all about. And I'm scared to try them and find that I like them more too...maybe I should just stop overthinking this and enjoy my Clear...

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 19
My experience is that I can't follow anybody's opinion on sound of headphones. Only my ears can decide. I made some impulse purchases of highly praised models and I was so disappointed, man..😞
So, my advise is to cool down and enjoy Clears. If you have a chance to visit the shop or friend to listen and compare another headphones, only then you will know.

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 19
My experience is that I can't follow anybody's opinion on sound of headphones. Only my ears can decide. I made some impulse purchases of highly praised models and I was so disappointed, man..😞
So, my advise is to cool down and enjoy Clears. If you have a chance to visit the shop or friend to listen and compare another headphones, only then you will know.
Wise words! Unfortunately there aren’t many places around me where I can do that but maybe I’ll look harder, or take a trip somewhere. I just need to stay off the Internet honestly! There really isn’t much I would change about them and I’m happy with them, I’m just curious about where the other half lives (or sounds, I guess)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 19
Wise words! Unfortunately there aren’t many places around me where I can do that but maybe I’ll look harder, or take a trip somewhere. I just need to stay off the Internet honestly! There really isn’t much I would change about them and I’m happy with them, I’m just curious about where the other half lives (or sounds, I guess)
You might be able to find a seller with a 30-day return policy. Then you could satisfy your curiosity for the price of shipping. Of course, sorry about your wallet if you fall in love.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 19
@bcaulf17
I was in a similar situation as you.
I bought the Clears in October 2020 based on the price, and afterwards went back to a local dealer for more comparsions, including the Arya, Meze Empyrean, HD800S and Utopia. The Arya and HD800s both impressed me, but also had their weaknesses and I found the Clears to be very good, more balanced, and very close to the Utopia. So I was happy.

But I felt that maybe I would like the Arya or HD800s even better, their big soundstage and detail, so I kept thinking about them.
And in December I found a good deal on the Arya V2 and could not resist.
I burned them in, I listened to them, but even after 3 months I simply keep coming back to the Clears.

Yes, the Arya has a bigger stage, it has better separation and maybe more detail. But it sounds a little thin, emotionally cold and lifeless.
Great for analyzing music, but when I put on the Clears I simply enjoy the music much more. It feels more balanced, more engaging, more alive!
So thanks for briging this topic up again, it reminds me that I need to sell the Arya. I really tried, but they are not for me.

A couple of additional details.
I am using the Chord Hugo 2 as a source, and some people suggested that I need to find a more powerful amp with better synergy.
I changed the pads on the Clears to the Dekoni Stellia Limited, which changes the frequency response somewhat and improve soundstage and imaging.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/post-16794037
I did try the Arya cable on the Clears and it actually improved the sound, increasing clarity and separation.

My conclusion:
I will sell the Arya and maybe invest in a better cable for the Clears.
I hope that helps you fight the urge to buy an Arya! :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 19
@bcaulf17
I was in a similar situation as you.
I bought the Clears in October 2020 based on the price, and afterwards went back to a local dealer for more comparsions, including the Arya, Meze Empyrean, HD800S and Utopia. The Arya and HD800s both impressed me, but also had their weaknesses and I found the Clears to be very good, more balanced, and very close to the Utopia. So I was happy.

But I felt that maybe I would like the Arya or HD800s even better, their big soundstage and detail, so I kept thinking about them.
And in December I found a good deal on the Arya V2 and could not resist.
I burned them in, I listened to them, but even after 3 months I simply keep coming back to the Clears.

Yes, the Arya has a bigger stage, it has better separation and maybe more detail. But it sounds a little thin, emotionally cold and lifeless.
Great for analyzing music, but when I put on the Clears I simply enjoy the music much more. It feels more balanced, more engaging, more alive!
So thanks for briging this topic up again, it reminds me that I need to sell the Arya. I really tried, but they are not for me.

A couple of additional details.
I am using the Chord Hugo 2 as a source, and some people suggested that I need to find a more powerful amp with better synergy.
I changed the pads on the Clears to the Dekoni Stellia Limited, which changes the frequency response somewhat and improve soundstage and imaging.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/post-16794037
I did try the Arya cable on the Clears and it actually improved the sound, increasing clarity and separation.

My conclusion:
I will sell the Arya and maybe invest in a better cable for the Clears.
I hope that helps you fight the urge to buy an Arya! :wink:
Thanks! I love the Clears for those very reasons. They’re a very easy headphone to just enjoy with little to no kinks.

Curious though, which version of the Arya did you try? I think the new Stealth version is supposed to have a bit more of a full sound and more punch but with less staging.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks! I love the Clears for those very reasons. They’re a very easy headphone to just enjoy with little to no kinks.

Curious though, which version of the Arya did you try? I think the new Stealth version is supposed to have a bit more of a full sound and more punch but with less staging.
I have the V2, but from all I read following the Arya thread I think the apparently subtle differences between V2 and Stealth would not change my decision to stick to the Clears.

Mar 13, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 19

Last year, I got Focal Clears (OG) as my end game and I love them dearly. I enjoy listening to them all the time, hell sometimes I miss them when I'm not using them! Coming from the already great HD6XX and Sundara, they truly impressed me with their inner detail, slightly warm tuning, dynamism. They're so wonderfully crispy and crunchy and very balanced. I was between the Clear (just reduced to $990), Hifiman Arya (Stealth version not a thing yet) and LCD-X (no 2021 edition out yet) and picked the Clear based on their sound profile seeming to be closest to my preference, good reviews, easiest to drive with anything, good build and they just look stunning as well. They were also the cheapest, so figuring I was getting be best value, I chose them.

And I was in love on first listen..BUT...constantly, I'm seeing way more praise thrown towards the Arya and LCD-X I feel like. Like, when it's those three compared, I feel like the Clear always winds up at the the bottom. I feel like no one ever says anything bad about the Arya or LCD-X, Arya especially though (like, this has got to be one of the most universally regarded headphones I've seen below summit-fi) but the Clear gets way more criticism. Hell, I’ve even seen some people say they weren’t any better than the DT1990! I know all three are fantastic but it constantly leaves me wondering if I made the wrong choice, or, what am I missing with the Arya? I think tuning wise, I would prefer the Clear anyway (I just like warmer sounding headphones. As soon as I see a midrange described as thin I get a little shied away) and I don’t use EQ. But the Arya just seems like it might have been the better all rounder after all, and the better performer, and it does have the soundstage thing going for it, and apparently the new Stealth version has better dynamics as well so that's become less of an issue. I guess what I'm saying is, if these are all on the same playing field, then why is the Arya universally praised while the Clear is more polarizing? I also have a dynamic closed back (EMU Ebony) so I sometimes wonder if having a dynamic open back makes things redundant...

I know that people have their own preferences, including me, but I've never heard the Arya or LCD-X so I guess I just wonder what makes them so much more beloved, and what it is about it that I'm missing? Does anyone actually prefer the Clear? It’s almost as if the Clear has fallen out of fashion. I know I should just try to avoid confirmation bias, but I can't help it lol. I'm just trying to understand, considering I have no ability to try without seeing what it's all about. And I'm scared to try them and find that I like them more too...maybe I should just stop overthinking this and enjoy my Clear...
Listen with your ears not with your eyes…🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 19
The Arya Stealth is a lovely headphone that has it's own redeeming qualities but The Clear (and this applies to both versions) are engaging and just a joy to listen to. Essentially they are two completely different presentations of music.. The Arya Stealth reveals a lot of details which can be fun in it's own right. If you are hell bent on parting with $1300 - $1600 it's not a bad purchase but don't believe the hype until you try them both side by side. Otherwise, keep enjoying your Clear to the fullest extent; they are a fantastic pair of Headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 19

Do you have any specific concerns or areas you are trying to address or improve? If not, then you are just chasing FOTM and getting affected by shills/marketing.

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #12 of 19
Do you have any specific concerns or areas you are trying to address or improve? If not, then you are just chasing FOTM and getting affected by shills/marketing.
Yep that’s exactly it! The Clear is pretty much perfect for me, but all the talk about the Arya just makes me wanna hear it and see what the hype is about. Though I don’t really have a desire to own one.

I’ve been taking much of this advice to heart and been focusing on enjoying my Clear.

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 19
If I am going to spend over $1000 on a headphone you better believe it's going to be a planar.... Maybe one day when just spending money for no reason is more important than $1000 then I will buy a $1000+ dynamic driver, but at that price point you want the best I think a lot of people agree that in Planar vs Dynamic that Planars are superior overall.

Also the Elegia is very close in terms of technical performance for $380.... I will keep my Elegia and feel no need to pay so much more for a slight improvement.
I’ve never heard anyone say, at a given price point, one driver type is superior to another. R&D can be paid for and bring out a great product whether it’s planar or dynamic.

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 19
Well you are hearing it now, Planar > dynamics IMO. I am not saying all people share this opinion but a lot do, I know a lot do R&D only goes so far, I cannot get the sub-bass performance outside of planars, unless it's from a dynamic driver subwoofer and last time I checked almost every multiple driver headphone is kinda crap. You cannot just "overcome" an inherent deficiency without some concessions, even if that concession is price.... I am not paying $4,000 for a Utopia that marketing by the companies who sell the Clear itself says is 95% of it for $1,000, or when (and I have argued this as well, it's in the Elegia thread) he $380 Elegia is fairly close to the Clear's performance.

Btw, I am simply stating an argument I know for a fact many others agree with, whether or not the thread accepts it has no bearing on it's validity, or the amount of people who believe in it, and others follow this but with Electrostats or ribbon or whatever else, but I know plenty of people specifically for planars.
Looks like you are not well informed and have been the subject of typical FOTM, shill, marketing, group thinking. I hope you will get a chance to experience more gear and have a more holistic view in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back