Just want a good pair of headphones is all...
Nov 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #16 of 23
Is it really that loud? I wouldnt mind if its not too bad. I think I like them because they seem like the best option for my taste, and It seems like they can be heavily modified to sound even better than they already might. The only reason i wanted isolation was for other peoples expense (i will be listening to them on campus).

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
Im reallyconsidering the Grado sr125i and with the money Im saving i can buy the adapter and Beyer head strap thing. Im just curious how much do these leak, and how much will other people hear when i listen to them in public? Not only that but how much will outside noises effect what im listening to ? They seem like they have the best noise for rock.. I will try to check them out and the shures. Looking around, Ive seen things like the Ultrasone hfi 780 and Audio Technica m50. Any word on how those will do for my tastes?

Hey LJ,

I have the SR80i's, M50's and have auditioned the 780's extensively since I live not far from an Ultrasone distributor.

As already mentioned for sonic rock quality ~ The SR/60i80i/125i are way out in front, the open sound and unique
 mid range coloration from Grado just makes the sound seem more natural and authentic. Of the three ~ the M50
 is the most bland, it lacks attack and tends to sound a little recessed and diluted in the mid range. The 780 does
 very well for a closed headphone but it's strength lies in bass heavy beats and closed club sound versus open
 rock. It does ok but it's not sensational ~ the 780 and M50 are of course more passively isolating for leakage
 and you can throw them around a bit more than the smaller Grados but in terms of pure sound quality

It's the Grado out in front again.

Here's Ben from (Headroom) summarizing things up very nicely in 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pb-GLrN5f4

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 23
Grados sound like the the winning contender, shure I could go with closed, but I think that takes away from what really gives me the sound i need.  I am still concerned about it being open back though. How audible will my music be to other people? Is it really that bad or could i still use them in public and not get too many glares?

Also is the 125i really a step up? I could save money and the the 80i with the beyer pad and then i also will not have to worry about the 1/8 adapter. Or is it worth it to get the 125i right off the bat.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
Grados sound like the the winning contender, shure I could go with closed, but I think that takes away from what really gives me the sound i need.  I am still concerned about it being open back though. How audible will my music be to other people? Is it really that bad or could i still use them in public and not get too many glares?

Also is the 125i really a step up? I could save money and the the 80i with the beyer pad and then i also will not have to worry about the 1/8 adapter. Or is it worth it to get the 125i right off the bat.

I'd choose the SR80i with the beyer dt770 pad myself ~ jump up the range later on if you really end
up being a Gradophile.

I use mine in public, on the train and within closed spaces like shopping malls. It's fine, just don't
blare the volume when you're in close vicinity of others ~ if there is ambient noise all around you
then you can turn it up a bit more ~ just remember that this outside noise will also leak into
your ear as well.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
I think that sounds like a the best bet, good way to jump in and find out what i like.  Whats the best way to "burn them in"? 

Just letting them play is the best way. SR80i's should sound pretty nice out of the box, they burn in over about
30-40 hrs of play. If you're a little impatient then setup a mix play list of various genres and set the volume
to just above average and let them play away in a room.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 23
Well great deal guys. Thank you for all your help , and sorry for cluttering up the feed with my generic and frequently asked question.  Gotta start somewhere, ill probably order them tomorrow.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #23 of 23
Well I have had them (Grado sr80i) for a few days now, and so far its really putting a hindrance on my school work and other priorities. Usually right when I get home they go right on my head. They arent too uncomfortable at all.  since I got them done that quarter thing to them, and tried putting the pads on backwards (reverse quarter) mod whatever and I find that opens up everything a whole lot better . Is this more like the sound the bowls will give me?    what will an amp do, or one of those DAC things. I know the amp will drive it better so im assuming increase the SQ. Is one necessary? I love them so far so if they can sound even better, well I dunno.... Ill probably explode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back