Just wanna verify something before i get my phones. About running through a reciever.
Apr 19, 2004 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mtbaird5687

100+ Head-Fier
i have posted similar things to this but i just wanna have a for sure answer.

I have a cable that i bought from radioshack that has a small headphone jack on one end and red and white RCA imputs on the other.

if i run the cable from the main plug (the green one) on my Soundblaster Audigy Gamer, to imputs on the back of my 450watt reciever, THEN connect my headphones im getting (HD570s) to the front of the reciever i will get clear and decent sound. right?

will my cable that i have do the job and has everythign ive said work?

thanks guys

Apr 19, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbaird5687

I have a cable that i bought from radioshack that has a small headphone jack on one end and red and white RCA imputs on the other.

if i run the cable from the main plug (the green one) on my Soundblaster Audigy Gamer, to imputs on the back of my 450watt reciever, THEN connect my headphones im getting (HD570s) to the front of the reciever i will get clear and decent sound. right?

will my cable that i have do the job and has everythign ive said work?

thanks guys

1) It will work i.e it will send out a signal that the receiver can amplify
2) My understanding (I may be wrong) is that Line out (fixed level) is better if
your card has it otherwise you are dealing with two amplifiers not one and
you will tend to get more distortion as the signal gain goes up - but I may
be wrong.
3) As for the quality I really couldnt say - I take the output from my laptop
soundcard through my receiver and it sounds okay.

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 6
It should sound decent (plenty of bass and nice highs), but whether it is optimal will depend on the headphone jack output.

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbaird5687
i thought green was line out?

if its not, what cord do i need to use to connect to my reciever

Some manufacturers describe variable level outputs as line out, line out used to refer exclusively to fixed level unamplified output typically between 1 and 2v but the term has been annexed.

The cord will not be a problem and it should sound okay.

Remember this is a forum where some members are ( and lets be honest here) OBSESSED with sound quality and one issue is getting the very best sound possible out of a setup i.e, by replacing headphone cables with cables costing more than the headphones, investing $100s in interconnects, replacing power supplies, swapping tubes and opamps and so forth.

So the kind of answer you are likely to get from some of us here is "well it will be alright but if you could just stretch your budget another $1000 it will sound a lot better if......"

Whether it really sounds good to you is purely a matter for you ears and brain.

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 6
haha yah thats a good call.

i wish i wasnt 16 and had a job to get money to buy really pricey stuff like that
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back