Just turned my son on to good headphones
Jan 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 27
I have my dad to thank for my speaker addiction as well. He was doing IASCA SQ competition with his car when I was little and ended up keeping a lot of the stuff that he used. Well when I got old enough he gave it to me to put in my car, and now look what happened! I've got 3 trophies to my name, and my wallet is getting lighter and lighter.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by berzzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find out that my son was looking at skull candy nonsense. I immediately stepped in and bought him a pair of grado 60's to try out.

After about two days he comes up and says, dad, I can not believe that I can now hear folks not just playing the guitar but I can hear them slide their fingers on the strings.

I really did him a dis service....He is hooked for life on good headphones. It can only get more expensive as he starts footing the bill.
smile.gif

Can you be my "daddy" ?
frown.gif

Haha, that is the best move you could do. First you saved money by taking away the Skullcandy steal they are. Then with the money he was gonna waste you inverted it on your son, giving him a hobby that will make his wallet (and yours) turn dry... However his ears will thank you.

I bet you now know what his next Christmas/Birthday present will be, don't you?

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #18 of 27
Nice gesture, saving your son from the Skullcandy's!
Probably not as smart when it comes to your wallet though, as he may be hooked on to something and soon want more.
wink_face.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 27
How soon can he start working to pay for his own gear?
smily_headphones1.gif

When I asked for headphones from my dad, I got behind the head sport Sony headphones. They were fine I suppose for that age. Although at that age, I thought they were cool.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 27
I wanted to buy a boombox with my hard earned cash, but my father said 'lets buy some proper hi-fi' and he matched my cash! 30 years have gone by, and he still uses the tuner we bought! Although it seemed like alot of money, per year its really quite reasonable! Thanks Dad! Sorry about our wallets!

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 27
Well, that's good to hear. I remember a few years ago, my older brother and his friend introduced me to hi-fi via the Grado SR-60 he recently bought. My mom is into hi-fi also, but doesn't have any gear of her own. She just helped my dad pick out some of his rig. So my house is full of hi-fiers, haha. But anyway its good to hear here that there are some other kids into hi-fi as well.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #24 of 27
Wrong move my friend, one day there will be $1000 charged to your credit card~because your son demands a GS1000 to hear something he never heard before~lol~kidding ^ ^

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by berzzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find out that my son was looking at skull candy nonsense. I immediately stepped in and bought him a pair of grado 60's to try out.

Way to go... back in the day, my dad got me into hi-fi (back when Koss Pro-4AA/4AAA were the big thing). Fortunately, he also steered me towards bang-for-the-buck... and the SR60s have that big time.

My Azden DM90s were a Christmas present from him - they were a sleeper in their era. Too bad I rattled a driver with a too-strong signal by accident! Now, Azden doesn't even acknowledge that they ever sold headphones (maybe the brand name got sold off to somebody else).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back