Just turned 21...Good drinks to order at a bar?
Apr 23, 2007 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

pentagonwizard

100+ Head-Fier
What are some of your favorite drinks to order at a bar and what's in them? Why do you like it?

I liked an Irish Car Bomb I had. It's Guiness with whisky and Bailey's and it is smooth and yummy like a root beer float.

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 72
predrink before the bar, then at the bar split pitchers of beer with friends
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 72
There are a ton of good drinks to order. It just depends what exactly you're trying to accomplish. A good idea would probably be to try all of the different "mainstream" mixed drinks (Martini, Margarita, Long Island Iced Tea, Mojito, White Russian, Bloody Mary, Scotch) to figure out what alcohols you like. Then you can move on to trying the different brands and styles of each alcohol when you find the ones you like.

You could spend many years drinking just the different varieties of Scotch that exist...

I stick to beer mostly now a days... Been trying to drink the best beers out there. My current favorite beer I can find at a store is DogFish Head 90 Minute IPA. Very delicious and very potent.

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 72
Question here

Do you guys drink to get drunk or drink for the taste?

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question here

The goal is to drink for the taste before you get drunk.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I.e., are you out of college yet?

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 72
I'm still in college and I drink for taste
smily_headphones1.gif
Nothing wrong with that
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 72
A good pint of beer is always nice. Something more user friendly is a vodka collins. Another refreshing drink is a gin and tonic.

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 72
Sidecar. Whiskey sour. Mojito.

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 72
Never underestimate buying calls or premiums, since they may save you a bad hangover. You'll get a feel for which brands and varieties make you feel like you've been run over by a trolley the next morning. Personally I love a good mid-grade vodka like Svedka or Finlandia. They've got the perfect clean taste without the prestige and marketing of Goose or Chopin. Never order anything involving whiskey unless you name your brand. The well stuff at most bars will make you sick faster than a carnival ride involving the words "whirl", "rip-roarin", or "death" in their titles. Y'know for that matter just stay away from wells. Get to know the budget brands that are respected.

You can never go wrong with a martini (not talking about the modern vodka and fruit/chocolate abominations), and most all Gins are tasty and unique. Drink a vodka martini if you must but please for the love of all that is holy leave out the flavors, unless they're IN the vodka. It's not entirely sophisticated but the Three Olives stuff actually comes in some pretty tasty varieties, just use your judgement. The grape tastes like cool-aid for example, amusing at first but a little disturbing to be drinking something that tastes like what you enjoyed when you were five.

Beware the scotch, lol. College bars aren't known for a great whisky selection anyway and if they do have a bottle they'll likely pour it on the rocks, which is stupid. Buy some bottles at home and drink slowly, neat but with as much water as you need at first to enjoy the flavor. You'll develop the taste and from there on you'll be proud to order a strong whisky (neat) on a date, and look like a big man
biggrin.gif

Don't forget to try a particular bar's specialty drink or even one that the bartender enjoys. If you're not in the mood for anything particular you'll find some interesting creations out there. Just make sure they aren't pouring super-premiums and trying to charge you fifteen bucks for it.

Oh and my favorite ****tail for when I'm already half trashed, just because it's impressive and tastes good when your 'buds are already dead. http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink13.html

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by pentagonwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked an Irish Car Bomb I had. It's Guiness with whisky and Bailey's and it is smooth and yummy like a root beer float.

Beware ordering that at a real Irish bar. Some old Micks WILL kick you out
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 72
A glass of water. As a veteran of too much money wasted at bars, you're better off drinking at home with friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back