Just tried new canals with and without SR71s --- very different sound surprised me...
Dec 17, 2007 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

silence57

100+ Head-Fier
Q-Jays (39 ohms) were first tried with an IPOD Classic (no SR-71) for rock downloaded at 320bits from Itunes. Excellent first impression at 80% IPOD volume --- no expert am I, but good soundstage, good bass, and punchy. I put the SR-71 in (w/out a line-out) and the volume was fairly similar at about 75% of the SR-71's volume. The sound was also different --- softer and less punchy (at least to me). Is this normal --- Emmeline sound signature or something? (Previous use of the SR-71 Emmeline with a 5th generation Video IPOD was terrific --- albeit I used a sound dock for use as a line-out ---and different phones such as a prior generation Shure or Ety 4p --- unfortunately, my dog got to these :).

Was the surprising w/SR-71 and w/out SR-71 "difference" possibly due to the different phones, no line-out, or perhaps less than full strength batteries in the Emmeline? Or even the 5th generation IPOD vs. the Classic IPOD? Thanks for any answers to this convoluted question!

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Probably because you are not using a Line-Out. RSA line is punchy regardless of which amp we are talking about.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

RSA line is punchy regardless of which amp we are talking about.

that's a blanket statement.
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi, thanks for the replies. It seems that it was the line-out. I just tried a line-out and the volume was 2x - 3x higher (mechanical reason and/or getting around IPOD's volume max.). With the line-out the Emmerline is far superior. Without the line-out, it doesn't help much --- at least on the new IPOD.

Using everything, including the Q-Jays (which seem better than the cheaper Shures), the sound is pretty incredible considering it's "only" from an IPOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back