Just tried my Senn. 598 with my receiver... I think I might need an amp. everywhere else now.
Jan 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gohanssjn

100+ Head-Fier
So, I just got my 598s yesterday and have been messing around with them and difference source components.  The receiver in my living room is so much more detailed than my computer or iPod, so I am thinking that a portable amp or desk amp might eb in order.

Would a E7/E9 combo be good for this?  Or maybe just an E7 as that would keep the cost much lower?  Or maybe just an E9 since these phones would leave the office often anyway?

I have no clue what I am doing with amps, lol.  Oh, and the living room reciever is an Onkyo 5300 box system (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQRG).  Looks like it uses an Onkyo [size=small]HT-R580 if that helps at all.[/size]

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 5
That's not even out yet!  :wink:

I guess I am just worried about not actually seeing a difference or just adding background noise or something.  I've always tried to keep as few components involved as possible....

Or getting more or less than I need.  I mean maybe just an E11 would work?  but I do want it on my computer.  But I also am going to hate switching my output device on my PC all the time... since some games don't like that once started...

Ugh....

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 5
It would be interesting to know the output impedance of this receiver. The HD598 has a large variation in impedance with frequency, and if the receiver has a high output impedance, it could be colouring the sound, and the sound you get with a high quality low impedance headphone amp may not be the same with these headphones. (you may PREFER the sound from the receiver, and that's fine)  The output impedance is not given in the specs unfortunately.

My own hi-fi amp (a NAD 320BEE integrated amp) has a whopping 220 ohm output impedace, for example. This would definitely produce a different sound with these particular headphones than a low impedance amp would.

Greg.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 5
220 Ohms?!  Yikes!
eek.gif
  Well, you won't have to worry about bass being in short supply.
wink.gif
  To the OP, I think the E17 alone should be a good match for your HD598.  Check out this review for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back