Just took the plunge. Need Help! (0404)
Oct 3, 2004 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jefemeister

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked up a E-mu 0404 yesterday. My major priority was getting a nice digital out but also wanted a better than average audio out as well. I had a SB Live before. I'm not using the input capabilities of the card, but it might be nice at a later date for doing frequency sweeps and distortion tests on some DIY stuff.

I'm having some problems with the setup. I'm not a big fan of this PatchMix thing. I've seen the word "effect" come up in too many places. I'm paranoid that the signal is somehow being modified eventhough I don't want it to. I also have to keep the master volume at -3dB to avoid hitting the clipping indicators.

The major problems seem to be with Foobar though. When I make a sample rate change, my DAC doesn't show it and the lock indicator in PatchMix always stays at 44.1. I know I can change it inside PatchMix but what other of my Foobar settings are being ignored?

I am using Kernel streaming. Whenever I press pause and then play again the audio either doesn't come up or I just get loud static on my stereo. This also sometimes happens when I cue up a new song. If I pause/play enough times I'll eventually get audio back. I'm sure there's some kind of ASIO setting that isn't right. Again, I'm paranoid that the sound quality is somehow effected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I really like the sound of this card when it's working.

Oct 3, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 3
Well a few things. If you're using kernel streaming then ASIO settings are a totally different thing. You have to change the sample rate of PatchMix manually. Changing the sample rate in foobar won't change Patchmix and thus you still see 44.1 there and on your DAC.

>>>I also have to keep the master volume at -3dB to avoid hitting the clipping indicators.

I wouldn't really be worried about that if everything is at 0db unless you're using lossy files which may reclip do to the lossy process encode/decode. If so then reduce the volume in foobar.

To bypass all of the mixer, in the relevant strip, insert a send to SPDIF out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back