Just survived my first heart attack - anyone else here had one?
Sep 12, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #17 of 38
Wow. Very weird indeed. I'm leading a life unforteuntly that could lead me to a heart attack, but it seems like you weren't, so pretty weird case if you ask me. Did the doctors say anything whatsoever as to why this might have happend?

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #18 of 38
Great news to hear that your OK. Having your artery opened up quickly combined with modern medications should see you return quickly to a normal lifestyle. If you look after yourself you should not have any more problems.

The lesson for everyone is that coronary artery disease can affect anyone. If you have any chest pain attend a hospital as quickly as possible - dont wait!

Sep 12, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 38
Ehh... That sounds... unpleasant. According from what I remember from my introductory anatomy course, you just had a blocking in one of the main arteries supplying the heart with blood. That could get really bad, as it would affect a very large portion of the heart.

Which means that you must have been beyond unlucky, assuming you are not obese, eating a lot of fat , smoking etc.

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 38
Thanks for all the kind wishes, it is very much appreciated.

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 38
sorry to hear but glad to see you are well.

Often these things cause a drastic re-evaluation and change in one's life, even becoming a very positive influence.

may your recovery be fast, smooth and full.

Sep 12, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 38
Even though you weren't fat, were you healthy? I'm just curious because I obviously want to avoid somthing like this
smily_headphones1.gif
Some people are just naturally thin but a bad diet and little or no excersize can still clog up the pipes...

I'm looking at about 60-64 BPM right now after a little caffiene, my 'true' resting heart rate is in the 50's. I hardly ever get cold feet/fingers which would indicate good circulation. Hopefully I'll be OK for a long time to come.

--Illah

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #25 of 38
Pretty healthy. I was not always as healthy, there was about a 4 year period I carried around extra weight and had a poor diet. But that stopped about 2 years ago, and I've always been active/athletic (except during that 4 year period).

To be more specific about what probably caused a lot of the problems I have is my lowish level of HDL's - 33. Since that's the stuff that cleans up the fatty deposits from your arteries, I had it build up over time & eventually result in the 100% plaque block.

Sep 12, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #27 of 38
Glad you are OK. Hopefully this thread can increase awareness and help a few others of us out. For example, I had no idea that having high HDL was that important. Obviously low LDL is good. Man, it makes me want to go home and drink a bottle of olive oil!!!

Sep 12, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
To be more specific about what probably caused a lot of the problems I have is my lowish level of HDL's - 33. Since that's the stuff that cleans up the fatty deposits from your arteries, I had it build up over time & eventually result in the 100% plaque block.

Tyson, current theories/knowledge suggest that HDL can be more important than LDL or Trigs. Low HDL levels are usually due to hereditary factors - bad genes. There are medications that have been shown to elevate HDL levels.

Given your age, the blockage is unlikely to be due 100% plaque. What probably happened is a 30-60% plaque became unstable and ruptured. The lipid core was exposed to the circulating blood and a thrombus/clot formed which occluded the vessel. The mechanism of plaque rupture is still debated but stress/anxiety/infection etc. are thought to contribute. Sometimes the plaques are just unstable and spontaneously rupture. The medications you are currently taking help stabilise plaques, and immediately reduce the risk of further events.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and look forward to reading your future posts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back