just survey, what studios use
Oct 29, 2006 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tola555

100+ Head-Fier
I own hd600 and since I bought them I managed to live year not looking at other phones
cool.gif

Now I want to know what are these "professional" phones people talk about. These phones that make instruments as they are in real life but are not audiophile phones. What do you think?

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 12
You already have a better pair of headphones than you'd find in any studio. Headphones are only used for tracking, with mixing done on monitors (speakers). The headphones you'd find in a studio are usually a cheap closed-back Sony or AKG. Nothing suitable for critical listening.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 12
Well I use in my studio akg:s K271S and use monitors for live tracking
smily_headphones1.gif
but then again my partner in crime uses HD580:s for live tracking and Genelec monitors for mixing.. Go figure..

There are differend animals in studios too! But mostly yeah, studio headphones are some cheap Fostex:s or Sony:s

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Among them MDR-7506, MDR-7509, MDR-V700's, some AKG models, and lately some Ultrasone Prolines, many many studios had adopted the Ultrasones lately FYI....see the Ultrasone website for reviews and pictures of them wearing Ultrasones....

BTW some studio headphones do are suited for crtitical listening, the MDR-7506 is a very nice heapdhone, and the Ultrasones are also very very good, but what they look for while mixing, is not what we look for, they are two completelly different uses...

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 12
our school studio has a bunch of phones. i think those hd-250 II linear are used mostly.

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 12
The top notch studios tend to have decent phones. I know a few engineers that do their initial mixing on headphones, but never finalize until listening to it on either 2 pairs of monitors or a pair of near fields and then the house reinforcement speakers. Sennheiser HD600s appear to be the standard in the high end studio setting from what I've seen. The reason I've gotten from most people is that you can listen to a pair for 8 hours with no fatigue. Studio monitors in contrast (Adam, Genelec, etc.) tend to be very fatiguing. I've also seen AKGs, Sonys and Ultrasone cans in studio. Never the ultra high end though.

Nov 1, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 12
Well, one of my favorite bands, Porcupine Tree, has 2 DVD-A in 5.1 that won for both 2002 and 2005 albums, for best 5.1 mastering and production by Elliot Schiner.

So in this day and age, a lot of people are doing the multichannel audio thing, and they master their tracks with a 5.1 setup.

What do you think they would use headphone wise in a studio like that, since none of the Dolby Surround headphones are actual true surround as they only have 2 speakers [except maybe for this new gaming one which claims to have 8 speakers in it]?

The albums are originaly recorded in stereo, and then mastered to 5.1 later, moving different sounds around. Actually, that's not true. They did them at the same time I believe, for their newer one Deadwing.

I wonder how a 5.1 mastering studio session goes? Anyone?

Nov 1, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 12
Well it’s from musicians to musicians.
I know that the drummer in the US death metal-band Nile, George Kollias, uses "Extreme Headphones" which I think are pretty expensive.
http://www.extremeheadphones.com/

PS.
If you like extreme drummers, check some videos on Kollias own home site:
http://www.georgekollias.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back