Just Spoke with Joe Grado
Dec 27, 2006 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jbunniii

100+ Head-Fier
I have a set of HP-1 headphones that are in need of a new cable. A few weeks ago I contacted Grado Labs, who eventually got back to me and gave me Joe Grado's number.

So today I gave the man a call. He was quite helpful - he told me to ship the headphones to him, and he'll check them out thoroughly and get back to me. Interestingly he lives in South Carolina now, not in Brooklyn.

He asked if I had the 1's or the 2's, I replied 1's, he asked "with switches?", I said yes.

Also he asked about the condition of my pads. He says "not that I'm trying to sell you any - I don't want to sell any". I told him I have several pristine sets via Todd the Vinyl Junkie. He was unaware of TTVJ and seemed highly doubtful that I actually have new sets of flat pads... I guess he'll get to see them firsthand in a few days.

Anyway I didn't want to waste the man's time, so that was about the extent of the conversation. Pretty cool to talk to the man who designed my favorite headphones though - I can't imagine doing that with any other headphone company!

Dec 27, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 8
where in S.C. is he living now?

I talked to him by email a couple of times. I had sent the emails late at night only to discover he was up replying to them.

once there was a misunderstanding about getting me SR80's repaired so he just took care of it for me. very good of him to do and for something as little as me SR80's. I'm fixing to make another purchase of one of his products today. Grado is a company I will stand by for his excellent customer support in itself!

HeadRoom is another company I praise for their customer support.

Dec 27, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 8
It's really quite cool that Joe, presumably retired, is the one Grado Labs refers you to for HP series repairs. I guess it's a rare thing for him to have to deal with, but still amazing to know that, once a JOE Grado, always a JOE Grado.

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Joe is the man! But I think he'd fume a bit over my Darth Grados - "What did you do to my HP-2s!" hehe!

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 8
That's good to know that he can repair these because I want to have these for life.

Next time you talk to him, tell him he came about as close to perfection as he could have with the HP
eggosmile.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to know that he can repair these because I want to have these for life.

Next time you talk to him, tell him he came about as close to perfection as he could have with the HP
eggosmile.gif

In the short letter that I enclosed in the package I shipped to him, I said that the HP-1 is fantastic and remains my favorite set of headphones. I also mentioned that in case he wasn't aware, these things routinely sell for well over $1000 online, so I'm far from the only one who values them very highly!

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 8
That is so cool! I'm envious!
rs1smile.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 8
Wow, that is very cool. Hopefully I'll get myself a pair of high end Grados soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back