Just snagged a Sony MDR-10 off of eBay for $6 !!!!!
Apr 28, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
So, when will you post a comparison?
confused.gif

LOL! Are both "R10"s meant to be discontinued?

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Not that I know of. Unless you are counting the W2002.

I don't think he was talking about the MDR-R10.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Not that I know of. Unless you are counting the W2002.
-Ed

I meant the "mini" ones!

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #19 of 29
Oh, man I can just see someone post these on Audiogon for $3,000 without pictures...and some poor guy buying it thinking it's the "R10".

Otherwise great score, they look cool in a very Jetson's type way.

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 29
Orange pads > yellow pads

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 29
Initial impressions.

There have been great advances in headphone audio since the 80's. These things sound pretty bad. They make stock iBuds sound OK.

LOL, at the Twins movie reference. Because it's pretty much true. Except I think the MDR-10 is almost 10 years older than the MDR-R10.

I wonder how powerful the headphone outputs were of the early Sony Walkmans. Because this thing is very inefficient. It actually needs an amp.

I can't believe the foam is in such pristine condition. I bought it purely for the model number. I actually like the color. The little plastic nubby ends of the metal headband part are color coded red for right, blue for left.

-Ed

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Wow congrats, now to put in some burn in and post your impressions on the MDR-10.
biggrin.gif

Yea, You better give about 50~80hrs on head burn in before the impressions
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

I wonder how powerful the headphone outputs were of the early Sony Walkmans. Because this thing is very inefficient. It actually needs an amp.

When I owned a Sony D-5A [as some know the first portable CD player before they started calling them discman] it could drive my HD650s pretty well and I dare not set the volume dial past two or three because it was so damn loud. I could only imagine that the old-school walkmans had some serious power too and could have driven those cream and orange cans.

Quote:

I can't believe the foam is in such pristine condition. I bought it purely for the model number. I actually like the color. The little plastic nubby ends of the metal headband part are color coded red for right, blue for left.

Sony use to make products using ultra high quality parts, based on near perfect designs, and if it was properly taken care of would figuratively last forever. Sometime around 1995 Sony started cutting corners and I noticed that a lot of their products started to suffer as a result.

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #28 of 29
I guess you really have a headphone disease when you buy cans knowing they are not good but you must have them anyway. I didn't realize the joke would be realized and somebody would've really bought these
biggrin.gif
I'm glad you got them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back