Just scored a pair of HD580's! Now the anticipation...
Sep 30, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrick
Highwaystar,

How does the cosmic amp sound in your bedside rig along with the D25s and your 580's? For me, that would be the ideal amp to get but it's price is beyond my reach
frown.gif
... however, I would be willing to save up for a considerable time to buy it if it sounds phenomenal. Your rig seems to be what I aspire to getting sometime!
biggrin.gif

The Cosmic is great but so was my meta42. And if you don't require it to be portable, you can get a very nice full blown configuration a lot cheaper than a Supreme or Cosmic. It's a great match for the 580's and drives them well. I was very happy with it. I didn't seek out the Cosmic, it found me
very_evil_smiley.gif

And don't aspire to anyone's rig, build your system for your ears, find what sounds good to you. When you get it right, it'll be sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #17 of 27
HI: I plug my 580s into a mid built meta last week an was very surprised at the great sound. It drove the 580s with no problem and was clear and strong. It belonged to a head-fie member and I thank him for the experience. Also it cost no where near the price of that other amp.

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 27
First impressions:

Immediately taking them out of my box, I was surprised by how long the cord was. Honestly I was initially disappointed on the thickness of it, compared to my Grado SR60's, since the HD580's seemed flimsy in comparison. Anyway, plugged them into the D-25s' headphone out and listened away. Nice! I'm now burning them in with some bass heavy house CD... but I can't help leaving them on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a interesting point - using the line-out of the D-25s with my SR60's was very quiet, volume wise. Listenable, of course, but only if the surroundings were extremely quiet. Compared to the line-out of my D777 pcdp (which is reasonably loud), it is nearly three times softer. Using the line-out of the D-25s with the sennheisers, however, the D-25s is definitely as loud as the D777's line-out, even though the impendance of the HD580's is much much higher than the grados.

Very interesting.

Note: I don't own an headphone amp so all the listening above was used w/o one.

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #19 of 27
Ptrick,
Senn HD-580 is a great can. You can't really go wrong with it. Many members agree that it has 90-95% of the Senn HD-600 has to offer. Good luck, and for sure...get yourself a Meta42. For portable route, AD-845 won't disappoint you.

Purk

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 27
Why are you using the line-out if you don't have an amp ? The line-out circuitry is designed to mate with an amp, not your cans. Use the headphone out (the D25-S) has a fine one. And if you've got a couple of extra bucks, you can grab a used Clou Blue cable that will make a big difference for not so many bucks. But you'll need the Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter if you don't have an amp by then with a 1/4" jack.

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 27
highwaystar,

I have often used the line-out of the D-25s with my SR60's when late at night doing homework and there's no outside noise. It gives me enough volume for easy listening and i find it's had better level of detail, albeit softer volume-wise.

Someone has told me before somewhere that using the line-out directly with cans will give you better air and clarity, but lack dynamics that the headphone out may provide.

Cheers.

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrick
highwaystar,

I have often used the line-out of the D-25s with my SR60's when late at night doing homework and there's no outside noise. It gives me enough volume for easy listening and i find it's had better level of detail, albeit softer volume-wise.

Someone has told me before somewhere that using the line-out directly with cans will give you better air and clarity, but lack dynamics that the headphone out may provide.

Cheers.

Hi Ptrick,

I'm not sure it that's a good idea. I'm no electronics wiz (or I'd be building my own amps
biggrin.gif
) but the line-out is looking for a real high impedence (1000 ohm ?) load and not designed to drive the load of speakers or headphones. I think that's why the volume is much lower. It might be not be good for the unit either. Might be overdriving it or something. I'm sure one of the DIY'ers could chime in and explain it much better than me. Well most anyone could, I'm guessing
tongue.gif
Throw a post in DIY for info. I'd stick to the headphone out, at least till I got the facts. Wouldn't want to smoke it...

Oct 15, 2002 at 8:43 AM Post #23 of 27
Thanks for the info Highwaystar, I would never have known
confused.gif

Does anyone who knows more about this have facts about this?

Oct 15, 2002 at 9:17 AM Post #25 of 27
Jarthel,

Is this the same type of amp that Antness is building? IF so, how much did it cost you to build this thing? What about separating the power supply as Antness did?

Oct 15, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #26 of 27
wow! That's an amazing looking amp there bifcake!
smily_headphones1.gif

Where did you get the chassis?

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
Jarthel,

Is this the same type of amp that Antness is building? IF so, how much did it cost you to build this thing? What about separating the power supply as Antness did?

Well I made this amp months before antness made his I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

this amp cost me around $800 to $1000 AUD, maybe less. I didn't keep receipts. I splurge on it as it's a personal amp. If I'm selling it, I won't be spending $500 AUD on it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I might splurge again if I get some tax refund.
smily_headphones1.gif
Tax office charged me too much money for the past 2 years. so I'll be upgrading to stepped attenuator, Nichicon KG caps (BG is so expensive), silver wire, Cardas RCA jacks and others. Parts were bought all around. Some are sourced locally (RS or Farnell) and others from US.

I didn't seperate the PSU as I have enough space on the chassis, not enough space on the desk and 2 chassis means double the cost.
smily_headphones1.gif

jayel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back