Just saw Keiko Matsui
Mar 29, 2004 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LarryS

100+ Head-Fier
Keiko Matsui arrived yesterday in Washington DC & played at the Kennedy center.

This morning....early (& she elaborated the early) they flew here to Austin for 2 performances at the One World Theatre. It's a small intimate venue with seating for 300. I was just 7 rows back right between the electronic keyboard & the Steinway. (for those of you interested in such matters the keyboard was a Yamaha KX88 SST with a Motif 6 mounted above it).

She is an absolute doll with a totally infectious smile.

She was accompanied by two guitarists, drummer and e-saxaphonist. Only one of the guitarists was from Japan...the other 3 fellows were from the US (US touring group?). Her husband also came out with his shakuhachi for the last 2 numbers. He spoke for a little bit & was rather amusing.

What can I say...it was so great to see her and hear her play in person.

The Yamaha was right in the middle of the stage, and she sat on a small stool facing the audience bent over the keyboard, her ponytail falling down in front of her face hanging next to her smile.

It was so incongruous to see such a tiny diminutive figure putting forth such powerful music.

She would really get into the music at times rocking back & forth, smiling, and during one piece where they *really* jammed she was turning alternatively between the saxaphonist & the drummer, grinning. They had a couple of very hot numbers that the audience went wild over.

For one piece, she pulled out this tiny little keyboard that hung from a strap around her shoulders and rested at mid-thigh level. It was only the size of a couple of octaves (Yamaha KX5 ?). She was jamming on it across from the sax-ist.

I was very happy...she played some of my favorites from the Whispers from the Mirror album...I think they played something like 8-10 pieces over the course of 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

Afterwards, she went out to the lobby to sign CD's. Needless to say I had to pick up her latest CD, Wildflower (#14 !!!) for an autograph. During the concert she played "Facing Up" from the new CD & I really enjoyed it.

Overall, it was not to disappoint...especially for a Keiko Matsui fan. For the first time in over a year since I moved here, I was happy to be in Austin.

Mar 29, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 9
Yeah, she IS great. But how was the sound system??

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 9
i know i'll sound naive here but what kind of music does she play? i've seen many threads about her but never got the feeling for the type of music it is... anyone... discuss.

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Yeah, she IS great. But how was the sound system??

Sound system??? SOUND SYSTEM???? We don't need no stinkin' sound system!!!

<LOL>

Are you serious or facetious?

Seriously, it was more than adequate. These ol' ears had no complaint. It was *at least* as good as my 600's & earmax pro
600smile.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
i know i'll sound naive here but what kind of music does she play? i've seen many threads about her but never got the feeling for the type of music it is... anyone... discuss.

It's hard to say... you could call it a combination of smooth jazz & fusion, with a definite asian influence. Keiko plays piano/keyboards, & quite well!

Just go to amazon & check out some of the samples...I think that "Whispers from the Mirror" may be one of her best albums...but that's my opinion. It's certainly a good place to start.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Keiko is a classically trained, exceptional pianist. I have seen her several times. Her earlier music was contemporary jazz/new age type music but the last few releases are loaded with pre-programmed drumloops and is somewhat boring new age/smooth type stuff. Nevertheless, she is a great pianist. By far, her best release is the "Live" release from Y2001. Very upbeat with a full band lineup.

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
Sound system??? SOUND SYSTEM???? We don't need no stinkin' sound system!!!

<LOL>

Are you serious or facetious?

Seriously, it was more than adequate. These ol' ears had no complaint. It was *at least* as good as my 600's & earmax pro
600smile.gif

I WAS serious. I agree that in a good venue "we don't need no sound system". Nevertheless, even acoustic music is often miserably amplified in concert. This easily results in worse sound than HD600s

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I WAS serious. I agree that in a good venue "we don't need no sound system". Nevertheless, even acoustic music is often miserably amplified in concert. This easily results in worse sound than HD600s

OK...I was very pleased & satisfied with the acoustics & sound system. Remember, it was a very small venue & did not require much in the way of amplification (300 seats). It was a very close & intimate presentation. I think I had a smile on my face the entire time...

If I were to be demandingly critical, I might have desired a touch more amplification for the keyboards...but that may have been because I just wanted to hear more of Keiko.

I would have no problems giving my recommendations for the theatre to anyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 9
You lucky guy.
smily_headphones1.gif
One of my lifelong goals would be to hear her play live just once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back