Just save up for some STAX
Oct 16, 2007 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

audiomagnate

1000+ Head-Fier
Even vintage Stax are so much better than anything else out there. They make you forget about your source/amp/anything. Just go get you some Stax.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even vintage Stax are so much better than anything else out there. They make you forget about your source/amp/anything. Just go get you some Stax.

Wise words
lambda.gif

Be careful though, even low-end STAXen may cure you of upgraditis for years to come. I know what I am talking about
cool.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pass, thanks.

Sound was "meant" to be reproduced by magnets moving cones.

Even when it was recorded by an electrostatic ("condenser") mic?

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 72
If it's thundering bass you want, why don't you upgrade to a servo-drive system?

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 72
I don't want thundering bass. I -play- bass. Bass cabs have cones. Big 'uns.

To be fair, the only electrostatics I've heard have been floorstanders; but I was unimpressed.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 72
Wise words!
biggrin.gif

Sell it all for Stax...

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 72
600smile.gif
Quote:

To be fair, the only electrostatics I've heard have been floorstanders; but I was unimpressed.

Yeah but you can GET servo-drive bass amps, and they blow voice-coil cones out of the water completely.

A friend of mine runs an A/V business in Ohio and does a lot of PA work. When his servo-drive woofers aren't rented out he leaves them hooked up to the alarm system on his store.

The cops say you can hear his alarm from a half mile away. And that it's physically painful to go within about 50 feet of his store when it's set off.

Anyway, at an inch from your ear, an electrostatic or other planar transducer that isn't overtensioned delivers more than enough bass. It sounds different, because the diaphragm is better controlled than a big paper cone that may ripple.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

I play bass and use grado sr80's for practice but I use my stax sr-lambdas for music and am more than satisfied. My stax do not lack any bass impact. The only reason I don't use them for my bass is that I am too lazy to set up an extra amp for them.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
600smile.gif

Yeah but you can GET servo-drive bass amps, and they blow cones out of the water completely.

A friend of mine runs an A/V business in Ohio and does a lot of PA work. When his servo-drive woofers aren't rented out he leaves them hooked up to the alarm system on his store.

The cops say you can hear his alarm from a half mile away. And that it's physically painful to go within about 50 feet of his store when it's set off.

Heh. I'd guess you'd still need cones (or horn tweeters) for the mid-to-high frequencies. Depending on the bassist they have upper harmonic content as high as 10khz. A quick googling lends me to think they'd be best for large venue reinforcement, not for the main or source bass cab.

Anywho - the OP was sort of a quick "stax are better than anything"

I merely replied with a knee-jerk "nuh-uh!" So there!

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Heh. I'd guess you'd still need cones (or horn tweeters) for the mid-to-high frequencies. Depending on the bassist they have upper harmonic content as high as 10khz. A quick googling lends me to think they'd be best for large venue reinforcement, not for the main or source bass cab.

Yeah - they're Just For Big Bass. Don says the first time he heard them, he was in the back of the store and someone hooked them up already turned on and got a split second of noise that sounded and felt like a truck had hit the building.

Quote:

Anywho - the OP was sort of a quick "stax are better than anything"

I merely replied with a knee-jerk "nuh-uh!" So there!

I actually agree. Not everything sounds best on stax. We also need look no further than The Stax Thread for proof of their failure to cure upgradeitis.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually agree. Not everything sounds best on stax. We also need look no further than The Stax Thread for proof of their failure to cure upgradeitis.

Ouch, I definitely wouldn't want to deal with -that- case of upgrade-itis.

And hey, I'll admit part of the reason I haven't heard a set of electrostatics is I'm afraid I might like 'em! (I was relieved when the floorstanders I heard didn't impress me).

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 72
whats the cheapest setup of a STAX system that will surpass my setup?

EMU 0404 USB --> Melos SHA-1 ---> Hd600/SR125 Woody

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 72
the cheapest stax system that would be better (in my opinion) would be a pair of stax sr-303s (~$325 new) and a used stax srm-1 (~$325). the next step up would be around $1200 -- new srs-4040 system (sr-404/srm-006tii) or a new sr-404 with used srm-717 or used srm-007t.

there's a bunch of other combinations of new and used stuff, but i think these are pretty representative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back