Just returned M4U 1 headphones - looking for alternatives (closed, full size, less than $300)
Jan 7, 2016 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Miklos

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have recently bought PSB M4U - 1 cans. I love(d) the sound (clarity, soundstage etc.) - but the pressure on my head was unbearable (very very strong clamping force - on my larger than average head).

After 20 minutes or so, every time I tried I got a massive headache...

So the PSB goes back to Amazon today.

What alternatives would you suggest (my source is Fiio X1, Xduuo X3; I like all kinds of music from latino, celtic, electronic, rock to classical)

I am considering for example the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. What do you think? What else should I consider? (My secondary and currently used cans are Sony MDRZX700 - I like the sound but expect better. The Sony cans, as well as several lower end Sennheisers I have are all very comfortable to wear) 

Thank you for your suggestions

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 6
I quite like the PSB's as well, but as an alternative, I really like the Blue Lola's. They do not have the sizzly treble of the PSB's but have better sound stage and sound more "real" than the PSB's to me..even though I like the PSB  a lot.

I've had no comfort issues with the Lola's. For closed full size the Lola's (and Mofi's) are my choice..and I do own DT770's as well.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you. I have not considered the Blue Lola - will research it.

I have discovered however the ATH-900x - which one would be more recommended - Blue Lola or ATH?

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 6
Im also looking at selling my pair - they're a good headphone, just not exactly for me.

Anyway, I would definitely look into the a900x - from what ive heard they are excellent (just not portable). I own the ad900x, and I love it. The closed back is likely just as good with better bass emphasis.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 6
If it helps, I run a hat size 7 3/4 to 8 depending on the brand, and the Mo-fi wasn't bad at all as far as comfort is concerned, but it's been quite a while since I tried one out.  It's been too long since I've heard it to remember my impressions, so I'd have to look those up.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 6
Audio Technica MSR7
Sony MDR 1A
Senneiser Momentum 2.0 (a bit more than $300.00)
Beyer T5i
NAD HP50 (I  realize it's the same designer as those
you're returning, but I did not find these to have overly
strong clamping.)

Very good sounding closed headphones, all.
IMO.  The AT's are vented, but have very little
leakage.  I think they're exceptional.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back