Just recieved my ATH-AD700's
Jun 17, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #16 of 27
Totally agree, AD700 is a great value even at $90. Burn in really improves the upper mids and treble noticeably, I liked female voices a lot better after about 100 hours. Great to hear that you are enjoying these!

I actually also tried them with the E5, bass impact improves, but that was all I really noticed in the way of frequency response. Otherwise, everything just feels "louder," which was good in some cases (meatier sound), but other times I felt it sounded a bit "shouty," if you get what I mean.

I dunno about the spray paint ... you might hurt the headphones! Plus, I'm sure resale value is better if your don't paint it. I had no problem with the color because it was on my head for hours each day so I never really had to look at them lol!

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree, AD700 is a great value even at $90. Burn in really improves the upper mids and treble noticeably, I liked female voices a lot better after about 100 hours. Great to hear that you are enjoying these!

I actually also tried them with the E5, bass impact improves, but that was all I really noticed in the way of frequency response. Otherwise, everything just feels "louder," which was good in some cases (meatier sound), but other times I felt it sounded a bit "shouty," if you get what I mean.

I dunno about the spray paint ... you might hurt the headphones! Plus, I'm sure resale value is better if your don't paint it. I had no problem with the color because it was on my head for hours each day so I never really had to look at them lol!

There excellent so far! Can't wait to hear the improvement after there fully burned in. The main reason why I am getting the E5 is to just give the bass a little bit more oomph. I listen to rap on occasion and right now there lackin a bit.

Ya I just changed my mind on painting them. Since I wear them insides I do not think I need to paint em.

Thanks for the advice!

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 27
Hey man this is Silver_Strings over at the Harmony-central forums you wanted to buy my ad700s but i already sold them, Congrats on your purchase, I just bought some HD555 and I bought another set of ad700s to compare lol.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey man this is Silver_Strings over at the Harmony-central forums you wanted to buy my ad700s but i already sold them, Congrats on your purchase, I just bought some HD555 and I bought another set of ad700s to compare lol.

Oh hey dude! Let me know how they compare. I was thinking about buying the HD555/595 but ended up with the AD700.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #20 of 27
Congrats on your purchase! They are truly great phones in every respect.
The bass seemed a little light to me at first, but it no longer does. I think that is something you get used to.

FWIW I love the purple and the overall design. In fact, I find them better looking than my AD900s. (Of course, the 900s are even better sounding and have even better build quality, so a slight reduction in looks is a pretty trivial sacrifice.)

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #21 of 27
Update:

After about 12-14 hours of burn in using pink noise last night, I can totally tell that the highs are much better! More clear and have that extra "snap" if you know what I mean.

BTW, Jazz REALLY shines on these cans! I'm in love!!

I can't wait to burn them in even more!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try the freeware EQ electric-q. Just play around with it. After a while of adjusting the curves i got a nice bass increase. But for some reason i dont really like EQing(I really dont know why). Maybe you do like it?

Doesn't look like electric-q is freeware anymore. Do you have another recommendation for free EQ software?

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, Jazz REALLY shines on these cans! I'm in love!!

I totally agree. In fact, I have to remind myself to listen to something other than jazz now and then!
I know of no other phones that even come close to capturing the subtle tones and dynamics of acoustic instruments so well.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #24 of 27
Its the crispness of the edges of transients combined with the soundstage that make these cans great IMO especially when speaking of Jazz. There is no other set of cans Ive heard that have those attributes combined except for the ad900. Well, not among the ones Ive had anyway. Well the w1000s have these attributes too but those are ATs again. hmm I guess I have to admit I'm a fan of those attributes of the AT cans.

Oh actually my stax had some of those attributes but was a little too rolled off on top for me

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

I totally agree. In fact, I have to remind myself to listen to something other than jazz now and then!
I know of no other phones that even come close to capturing the subtle tones and dynamics of acoustic instruments so well.

I do the same thing! Jazz and Acoustics REALLY and I mean REALLY shine on these things. For instance, anything from Jack Johnson sounds sooo good that I can't even describe it! Just the way the guitar is so "life like" it really blows my mind.
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

Its the crispness of the edges of transients combined with the sound stage that make these cans great IMO especially when speaking of Jazz.

Completely agree. These cans are very detailed and like you said, are very crisp on the edges. I've had them on for a total of 48 hours so far and from what I can tell, there definitely getting even better! Sound stage and crispness is AMAZING!
L3000.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #26 of 27
There are occasions when the lack of isolation can be annoying (such as when the lawn crew is working.) It would be nice to have some closed phones with good isolation at such times, but I want to stay as close as possible to the sound of my AD900s.
Are there any closed cans that sound at all similar? How different are A700s, and how is their isolation?

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #27 of 27
I had a900s and they are too bassy and sucked out at the lower mids. Not in the ad900 league at all. I'm looking at getting closed cans meeself and am probably going with the latest shure top closed can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back