Just recieved iAudio 5
Mar 21, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 27
i am not sure if the static is normal (or even exists), because i can hear that because of my crappy headphones. it doesnt bother me. try swapping phones and see if it persists. the little staticy sound is very VERY faint for me... u can only hear it if you are in bed with absolutely no other sound distracting you. anyways, it shouldnt be a problem.

enjoy the player!!

Mar 21, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #17 of 27
When my I5 shuts down, there is a beep. Surrounding the beep is about 1/4 second of hiss. The hiss is smooth and of low volume. The beep is quite loud.

Mar 22, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan
When my I5 shuts down, there is a beep. Surrounding the beep is about 1/4 second of hiss. The hiss is smooth and of low volume. The beep is quite loud.

i believe the beep is suppose to be there... not sure about the rest

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #20 of 27
You can call customer support from http://www.jetaudio.com

888-453-8283 (888-4JETAUD)

I hear they have the best customer support via phone, not email.

I just got the I5 for my gf and I really enjoy it, although it wasn't for me
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm glad she's understanding
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #23 of 27
Okay, here is a micro review of iAudio 5, based on about a month of daily use.

On the negative side:

-The first thing I noticed is that the jogbuttons push-in function doesn't work that well. You have to press exactly straight down, and that's sometimes kind of hard when the thing is lying in your pocket. It would have been nice if you could press down even if you tilt the jog. But this is something you will get accustomed to.
And another thing about the jogs, they not analog. I don't know if that's a surprise to you guys, it certainly was to me. I would almost have preferred normal digital buttons instead, although maybe digital jogs are a bit easier to hit and "map to your mind".

-Battery life. iAudio claims 20 hours, but the most I seem to be able to get out of it is somewhere about 6-7 hours with all effects but BBE off and the volume at 60%. So if battery life means a lot to you then look elsewhere.
But battery chargers are inexpensive, so for me it’s just a matter of changing it every other day.

-The earpuds that come with player is not very good (although iAudio claim them to be high quality). They have a muffled sound, with an uneven frequency range. The wire inside the cable is so thin that it affects radio reception (reception got much better after I switched to my MS-1s).

-The volume scale seems to go up almost exponentially (firmware fix possible?).

-To get the whole manual you need to download a PDF from the JetAudio site. The supplied manual only gives you the basics. A bit cheap iAudio, and thanks for not telling me!
confused.gif

On the positive side:

-Sound quality is the best I heard from any flash or HD player.
In the default setting bass sounds a bit separated from the rest of the sound image and highs seem a bit too high, but a bit of tinkering with the equalizer helps even that out.

-Supplied software is pretty good but not exceptionally so.
You get JetShell (transfer/manage program) and JetAudio (media player and ripper) JetAudio is my default play on my computer now (better than RealPlayer and WMP).

-The design is nice, and you get extras like a protective holster, wire-strap, male to male jack-plug cable, USB cable and USB "dongle" (really short USB cable).

-A small surprise feature is the ability to but "bookmarks" in you files so you can listen to something else and then come back later. Very nice for audiobooks.

Overall a very good player with a few faults, some which might prove reason enough not to buy for a few.

My rating out of a hundred is 90.

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frisenette
-The first thing I noticed is that the jogbuttons push-in function doesn't work that well. You have to press exactly straight down, and that's sometimes kind of hard when the thing is lying in your pocket. It would have been nice if you could press down even if you tilt the jog. But this is something you will get accustomed to.

i noticed that when i first turned on the player... pretty weird.

Mar 24, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 27
Frisenette, what are you backlight settings?

A guy tested the power consumption of the i5 on the iaudiophile.net boards and he found that going from setting 9 to 5 or lower lowers the battery use dramatically. I have all the default colours, but just the intensity lower to about 3 or 4, still bright enough to see, just doesn't sap the battery like crazy.

EDIT: Yeah, I get the "friction" with the jog wheels too. I like them, but it's just irritating when I can't press down exactly how it needs to be.

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #26 of 27
There is a side effect plus to the "tight" jogwheels. It is much harder to accidentally turn on your player or to go into menu mode and change a setting. The CW200 jogwheels were more susceptible to that problem.

The full Iaudio 5 PDF manual is on the includedJet software CD.

The jogwheels on my Sony MD players, Iriver IHP-120 remote, Iaudio CW200, Compaq Aero PPC, Muvo N200, Aiwa CR-LD120 radio, and Iaudio 5 are all digital (on/off).

The bookmark feature on the Iaudio's is very well designed. You see the actual track title name instead of an anonymous number (like Rio's).

I am using 1000 mah NiMH batteries and getting way over 12 hours of use per charge. I use Sharp MD33s with a volume setting of 15 or so. My color settings are level 6 or lower. I set the song change color to red level 1. I occasionally use an EQ setting (VOC for audiobooks is great) and disable all of the other sound enhancements. I have been running endurance tests of my Iaudio 5 looking for any instability and it takes all night to use up a battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back