Just recieved Entech Number Cruncher 203.2
Aug 22, 2006 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
I finally hooked up the Number Cruncher 203.2 I bought off eBay for $50 shipped. This DAC sounds amazing and not just for its price. From the hour I've spend listening to it through my AV710 I'd have to say its SQ exceeds that of the stock 0404 that I've listened to and definately stomps over my old AV710s Wolfson DAC and my Alien USB DAC. I think I'll write a more detailed review later this week, but in the mean time I'd like to hear any impressions from other Number Cruncher owners (203.2 or 205.2) on SQ and how the DAC stacks up against other units.

Only regret with this unit is that it's making an amp upgrade look more desireable...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 6
I picked up one of these as well. I figured for the price, why not? Plus I needed an interim source while I save up for something great.

I was digging through the search trying to find any info on it and found a pic of the guts here. It uses Nichicon MUSE caps and the Burr-Brown OPA2134. There doesn't appear to be much room for modding, though admittedly I know nothing about that stuff.

It resembles my old CIAudio VDA1 in styling with a similar brushed aluminum faceplate with a single indicator showing "locked" status.

It's been burning in for almost 48 hours now. Thus far, it has a crisp and detailed sound. Perhaps a little too forward in the highs for me, but nothing too offensive. Here is the Bob Katz review of the unit from a few years back.

I'm interested in hearing how you think this betters your Alien USB DAC, E-Mu 0404 and AV710. I look forward to reading your review. It seems no one really owns these units anymore as they are fairly old.

Am I still allowed to be on Head-Fi with two Monster branded components in my rig (Entech NC and HTS1000 Surge Protector)?
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 6
I've had mine for over a year now and have enjoyed every minute. I like it better than my modded 0404 also. I also think it is slightly forward in the highs, and it definitely has nice detail and punch. I think it just automatically gets a bad reputation around here for having an affiliation with Monster. Glad to see someone else enjoying the Number Cruncher.
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
I finally hooked up the Number Cruncher 203.2 I bought off eBay for $50 shipped. This DAC sounds amazing and not just for its price. From the hour I've spend listening to it through my AV710 I'd have to say its SQ exceeds that of the stock 0404 that I've listened to and definately stomps over my old AV710s Wolfson DAC and my Alien USB DAC. I think I'll write a more detailed review later this week, but in the mean time I'd like to hear any impressions from other Number Cruncher owners (203.2 or 205.2) on SQ and how the DAC stacks up against other units.

Only regret with this unit is that it's making an amp upgrade look more desireable...
rolleyes.gif

I've been interested in quite awhile, but all the auctions I watched went too high for my taste (lot more than $50). I believe they're sigma-delta DACs, which I haven't liked in the past (nice warm but FAKE sound to my ears, and jitter is usually a severe problem). Anyone have one of these, listen to some live/unamped classical and tell me if it really sounds realistic to your ears.

My current CDP uses a Burr-Brown hybrid sigma-delta/multibit OS DAC, which so far I've found the most pleasing to listen to of anything that's ever hit my ears.

May 26, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Posted in wrong thread since my google search lead me to this one in another tab, so sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back