Just Recieved a Vintage System from Family
Aug 21, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LordofDoom

100+ Head-Fier
I set up a new home theatre system for my grand parents (low end, they're not audiophiles, and I'm not really a huge audiophile) and they gave me their old system. It includes the following (besides the TV):

2x Jensen Concert Series Model 1030
JVC R-X330V Digital Synthesizer Stereo Reciever
JVC XL-F254 Compact Disc Automatic Changer

I can only find pictures of the CD player online, and will get pictures of the other things later.

500764f73467a3fc3e5c322a35567a1f.jpg

So is this stuff any good?

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 10
The speakers look to be of the late 70s - 80s vintage, and according to:
1ee2_1.JPG

they're of American origin, which is usually a pretty good indicator

I don't think Jensen has/was ever been much of a speaker manufacturer, but all that really matters is if you like them.

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think Jensen has/was ever been much of a speaker manufacturer, but all that really matters is if you like them.

Jensen not being much of a speaker manufacturer
confused.gif
???

In the '70's and '80's they dominated the car speaker market with their fantastic coaxials and triaxials.

jensen_stereo.jpg

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 10
I feel that comparing car speakers to home audio speakers is like comparing apples to oranges, but I see your point.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 10
I can't seem to get a good picture of the receiver, I guess I'll look again later, but I did get a good high-res picture of the speaker in full, they look really nice and sound pretty good to me. They're a huge upgrade from the Polk Audio wall speakers I had sitting on my floor, hah.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 10
What kind of output does the CDP have? I'm guesing just RCA line outs? I've had JVC players in the past, and they were decent, but I've never liked any of the carousel transports...too noisy.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of output does the CDP have? I'm guesing just RCA line outs? I've had JVC players in the past, and they were decent, but I've never liked any of the carousel transports...too noisy.

The CD player has just an RCA output. I've got some old gold plated cables that look like this that I'm using to connect the CD player to the receiver (shown below):

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 10
I meant, does it have a digital line out (either coax or optical), or just analog? If you have only analog, it would have left and right RCA jacks, but digital will be labelled "coax" or "optical", and allow you to use it with an external DAC.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant, does it have a digital line out (either coax or optical), or just analog? If you have only analog, it would have left and right RCA jacks, but digital will be labelled "coax" or "optical", and allow you to use it with an external DAC.

The CDA has a left and right RCA and a set of plugs labled "Compulink 3 - Synchro" and they appear to be mini jacks
confused_face_2.gif

The receiver has no digital outs or ins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back