Just received Qualia 010
Oct 7, 2004 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

globalbee

New Head-Fier
The Qualia 010 headphones just arrived. I have been listening to them for only a few hours, so these are just initial impressions. Also, note that the 010's have had limited time to break-in. First, while in Mikhail's hands and now a few in mine.

To get this out of the way, the 010's weigh nothing and are very comfortable. They are entirely open. Everyone listens to what is being played. You can hear their conversations.

My first reaction was that of being taken back. The sound is quite different than other headphones. They are highly resolved. Brutally neutral. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon the source material, source and amp feeding into them. More on that in a bit.

My understanding is that Sony designed these headphones to highlight the qualities and capabilities of SACD. Okay, that was accomplished. Right now I am listening to Alison Krauss - Forget About It SACD. Great recording and the 010's reveal everything. (Marantz SA8260 & Maestro ZR) Detail, clarity and layered. Electrostatic transients. Wide and natural headstage. Take the volume down, very little disappears. That's says something. Definitely one of the great headphones.

Not being a proponent of short term A/B testing, it will take time to define perceived differences between the 010 and other headphones. For comparison I have the Orpheus HE90/HEV90, Stax Omega II with 007t, 650's and PS-1 plus several dynamic amps. Unfortunately, R10's have not yet arrived. Probably the Orpheus and R10's would be most comparable.

One other consideration is that no amp has yet been tuned to maximize the 010's. By that I mean a year of fidgeting. That places them somewhat at disadvantage, but that is the way it is right now. Various tubes are on the way from Mikhail for tube rolling the Maestro ZR. (Note: Maestro ZR is truly an amazing reference amp/preamp.) Also, these headphones need a hundred hours of burn-in. That is apparent.

The Qualia 010 are so very resolved that some CD's can sound like a bunch of 0's and 1's. Too digital for my tastes. Not all CD's, but some. That's the yang of highly resolve's ying. Some source material may prefer a bit of coloration. But, play something well recorded and it's magic. A stack of music is waiting its turn. (One question . . . Should headphones be designed to fix a flawed source?)

The more that I listen, the more that I think, "get the front end right, get the best tube match, use good recordings and this will be unbelievable." So, I will wait for the tubes, then move the Maestro over to my reference source and then try again.

The more that I listen, the more I am impressed.

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 30
Congratulations!

You're in the Ultra Mile High Club.
eek.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by globalbee
For comparison I have the Orpheus HE90/HEV90, Stax Omega II with 007t, 650's and PS-1 plus several dynamic amps.

I hate you.
frown.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 30
Pics? These sound simply amazing...

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 30
Just a compulsive audiophile. I have been messing with headphones seriously just for a year or so. 2CH has been my obsession for many years. A couple of partners and myself started a consulting firm 10 years ago. That causes me to travel internationally about 60% of the time. The need for quality portable sound pushed me towards better headphone systems. I now use DAT, a portable DAC, XP-7 and probably 010 for a travel system. Okay, and the required iPod with UE-10.

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
globalbee:

If you don't mind me asking you, then what do you do for a living? How did get to be able to afford such top tier HI-FI equipment?
confused.gif

LOL! I was wondering the same thing, but I dare not ask.
redface.gif
Even Tuberoller would be a little envious of this cats gear.
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 30
If you ask, then you shall receive.

Seriously, it amazes me how much some people fail to ask a key question and stunt making progress in their lives. How the heck do you think I got to build my reference system? I asked a lot of dumb questions from almost everybody who was willing to put up with me. Now, it's my responsibility to pass on the knowledge with patience and humility with a helpful heart.

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 30
My best available comparison will be the Orpheus. That will take a few days and I will post what my ears tell me. Initially, the 010's do surpass the Omega II's. Again, first impressions only.

Just been listening to Rickie Lee Jones and this is the kind of detail that I catch on SoundLab M-2's. Also, tight bass and distinctive timbre. Different tubes may add a bit of sheen that I want. I will also try different filters on dCS source to hear what changes occur.

Oddly enough, the 010's sound very good on 16/48 recorded DAT. A bit more analog.

Oct 7, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 30
global is going to use the qualias as his portable cans. *looks at his KSC-35s padless* (insert single tear here)

Oct 7, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 30
cool, cannot wait to hear more impressions on the Qualia 010 / SinglePower amp combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back