Just received my MG-Head OTL...
Oct 31, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 32
What stock tubes did your MG Head OTL come with? They seem to vary, but mine came with Sovtek EL84/6BQ5s and a Ei (Yugo) ECC83 (the same as a 12AX7).

I'm using JJ EL84s (don't bother with the Sovteks) and have tried a variety of 5751 tubes for the driver, and the Ei ECC83 has crisp highs, to the point where the vintage tubes seem rolled off by comparison. But the Ei wasn't as sweet in the midrange. My current favorite is a Raytheon black plate 5751. I wonder how it compares to the 12AU7 you're using--I might have to grab one to try out.

KJP

Oct 31, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 32
Mine came with two Sovtek EL84/6BQ5 power tubes and one JJ ECC 83 S for the harmonics.

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #19 of 32
Andrew
With the right tubes, the NF switch is basically crappy vs not crappy. I think the amp should have been built with no feedback and a good tube supplied in lieu of the switch, but that's just me. You'll probably notice it sounding more open with no feedback.

Good to see Nick's still helping out. I hope ASL appreciates his contributions as much as we do. If you get ready to tweak beyond the tubes, you may want to talk to tanfenton as well.

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 32
No problemo. The Head is the tube amp I believe the masses will gravitate towards most quickly... and thus spread the word about:

1) Them magical tubes
2) Head-Fi
3) Headroom

P.S. Andrew, I hated the stock JJ ECC83. Hate hate hate! I have NO idea why this amp ships with it as the default. Don't use it. Never use it. Hang it on your Christmas tree.

Nov 1, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
. Hang it on your Christmas tree.

Funny you should say that I thought tubes would make awesome ornaments. If there was a way to wire up a small battery to get them to glow......

p.s. third Head is on the way

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Funny you should say that I thought tubes would make awesome ornaments. If there was a way to wire up a small battery to get them to glow......

Actually, you could wire up a string of them in series, say 10 tubes with 12-volt filaments or 20 tubes with 6-volt filaments and run them off the AC. This is how the miniature Christmas lights work anyway, just replace the mini-sockets with tube sockets and you're on your way!
smily_headphones1.gif
Just be careful that they don't set your tree on fire!
eek.gif

I'm going on vacation for a week and I admit, I'm gonna miss my MG Head while I'm on a plane, forced to listen to cheapo headphones off a MD player.
frown.gif
That tube sound is addictive.

Nov 1, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek

p.s. third Head is on the way

You need help man. Are there any MG Head support groups in your area?

Nov 8, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #28 of 32
Just got my new MG Head from Upscale Audio (thanks Kevin). I've owned two before as everybody probably knows by now. I am listening to Norah Jones. I don't think many amps can beat or match the Head when it comes to the female voice.
cool.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Just got my new MG Head from Upscale Audio (thanks Kevin). I've owned two before as everybody probably knows by now. I am listening to Norah Jones. I don't think many amps can beat or match the Head when it comes to the female voice.
cool.gif

Nick, jerikyl and I ABed several tracks off the Norah Jones album between the MG Head and RKV.

*whistles innocently*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back