Just received my Grover UR7 (U7)!!
Apr 17, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #31 of 50
DA,

Thanks for the impressions--very exciting to read. I've got a couple pairs of UR7s of my own which are burning in now on an extra dvd player. I should be ready to give them a listen by tomorrow (hopefully as my cd player arrives back from repairs in germany).

I'll chime in with my own opinions once I get things underway.

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
DA,

Thanks for the impressions--very exciting to read. I've got a couple pairs of UR7s of my own which are burning in now on an extra dvd player. I should be ready to give them a listen by tomorrow (hopefully as my cd player arrives back from repairs in germany).

I am trying to not sound like a complete Grover fanboy and hype the cable too much......but the UR7 has really moved Grover into the big leagues, these are really great truely musical sounding cables.

Sorry to hear about your CDP needing repair.........I have a nice collection of 3 dacs and two transport/players so I just swap one out if any technical problems would ever arise.
k1000smile.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
DA,

Great to hear you're back in the Berendsen camp, hope the (considerable) wait is proving worth your while.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA
So compared to UR6 the UR7 adds:
-finer detail resolution
-expanded 3D soundstage especially depth
-faster more effortless projection of music, subjectively more live sound.

I also think Grover upped the ante considerably on this one. I am having much fun with my U7 too. As I said I specifically asked Grover for a warmer cable to compliment my W5000/PPX3 SLAM, hence my Furutech plugs. It sure is working for me.
icon10.gif
I placed the somewhat brighter/thinner U6 between phono stage and integrated amp, where it is a good fit.

Here is a link to my modded U7: http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...=9396&size=big

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #34 of 50
How can I get ahold of Grover? I'd like to order a set from him.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #36 of 50
I recieved my cd yesterday morning as planned and listened for a bit with the grovers on. I'll hold off until the player burns in, but I can say now that first impressions are positive. I'll keep you guys posted!

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #37 of 50
Its going to be hard for me to comment on the UR7s given I had been without a functioning stereo for 2 months, but going from my memory which may be flawed, I have to agree with whats being said about these cables soundstaging. I'm listening to a so-so fidelity mastering as I type this and it is a very 3D, enveloping expereince.

I'll probably back away from this thread with these words and allow someone with a more complete recent history in listening to comment. I do like them a lot though!

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
In first 30 seconds I could tell more music detail was being played, liberated from some previous prison of distortion or hash that kept it hidden previously. Deep into the soundstage I could hear new sounds that were never heard before, like another layer of subtle sounds and note decay, even completely new instrument sounds were unearthed. The soundstage was slightly expanded in depth, everything was wonderfully coherent and seemed faster more effortlessly presenting the music, a more lively feel to it.

No offence, but were you using the UR6. in your system before switching to the UR7? If so, "prison of distortion or hash that kept it hidden previously" sounds too harsh a criticism for the UR6. considering all the praise you had for it not so long ago. Btw I am considering an upgrade after reading your impressions, but just thought I should clarify this. Thanks.

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolute0
No offence, but were you using the UR6. in your system before switching to the UR7? If so, "prison of distortion or hash that kept it hidden previously" sounds too harsh a criticism for the UR6. considering all the praise you had for it not so long ago. Btw I am considering an upgrade after reading your impressions, but just thought I should clarify this. Thanks.

This is just figure of speech trying to be a little colorful "liberated - prison" etc, UR7 is slightly better at uncovering fine detail vs UR6. Nothing wrong with UR6, it deserves all the praise it previously received and I still keep some UR6 around.

In all the Grover upgrades over the years there is no super dramatic difference from model to model, they all have a family sound but newer models perfrom better overall as Grover makes constant improvements to a winning formula.

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 50
I still can't comment on the UR7 versus the UR6's, but I did have the opporunity to compare them with some Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference II and its no suprise that the UR7s came out on top for me. I'm pressed for time with law school finals begining tomorrow (monday) so I won't do a lengthy write up, but some of my impressions are as followed.

Tonally the UR7s definitely come out on top for me. The Matrix References are the warmer of the two cables, but sound somewhat artificial in comparision and, though it can be pleasant if your in the right mood, it can get a bit syrupy and annoying.

Resolution wise the AZ's sounded better then I recalled (used to own them, now I'm just borrowing) but the UR7s still bested them. Both cables were great at revealing small details of a performance, but the UR7s just seemed to really pick up on some of the really small nuances of a piece which added to the realism of the playback.

Imaging wise I would say that both cables were very accurate. On the soundstages they reproduced both did a great job of laying everything out to the point that you could really close your eyes and hone in on where each instrument/peformer was located before you.

Soundstage wise, the UR7 definitely got the nod in my opinion. The both had similar width and height, but it was no contest when it came to sound stage depth. As a result the UR7 presented imo a much more layered and exciting sound. (even my non-audiophile girlfriend was able to pick up on this).

Overall for me, the UR7 is just the superior cable. Its hard to break any piece of equipment down into its performance in various categories and still convey the essence of what it is. Many pieces of equipment do a lot of things right, yet just don't do it for me--in the case of the UR7s, there is a certain rightness to it that is hard to describe but very pleasant to expereince.

I can confidently say that any fan of the grover sound will like his latest revisions and will also add that those unfamiliar with the sound and in the market for a new inteconect, should check these out no matter how big their budget is.

May 1, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #42 of 50
I have to say these IC's are brilliant! Mids are so incredibly accurate and life like.
At fist I have to admit I wasn’t too enthusiastic with they’re bass response, but with burnin, bass does rise significantly. But even before this, I came to realize how life like the bass was even though it seemed rolled at the time. Never did I have to remove my cans so many times due to me thinking there was activity going on in my environment.
Now the highs... defiantly with-in the same caliber as both bass and mids. They’re smooth neutral and blend perfectly with the mids.
With these IC's there’s absolutely no segregation of bass, mids, or highs. It’s really just one flat neutral natural response.
But regardless of the great response the most striking and respected trait would have to be there incredible balance and imaging. NEVER IN MY LIFE!
These IC’s are a must for even the highest of the high-end. They totally brought life to my setup. I’d contribute a good 15% of my entire setup’s sweetness to these IC’s alone.

May 14, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #44 of 50
I've had mine for a little over a week now, and am amazed!

I'm now fully 'Groverized,' with UR7's, UR coaxials, & SR & UR (bi-wired)speaker cables.

I was not unhappy with the UR6's, but the UR7's definitely bring things up a couple of notches. Overall, the sound is magnificent: detailed and life-like. In particular, the bass is fuller, deeper, and more resonant, without being bloated. . . and I love the percussion. Drums and cymbals are the best!

May 14, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #45 of 50
I have been following this thread with great interest and have a Grover-related question. I don't mean to highjack this thread but the question is related to Grovers ICs so figured it would be acceptable . . . if not, a thousand pardons
icon10.gif

I currently own a pair of UR3s, which means I have waited a long time for an upgrade and it seems like it may be the right time to do so - even though I know the UR8s will probably be out next month at the latest! In any event, here is my problem.

I run UR3s from my cd player to the GS-1 then a pair of 'other' ICs from the GS-1 to my integrated amp. My objective is to make the connection fully Grover and replacing the other ICs with the new UR7s. Since the new ICs will be placed second in line (between the GS-1 and amp), will I lose the sonic characteristics of the UR7s since they will not be coming straight out of the cd player? I guess the heart of my question is: Will the sound be tainted by the 'lowly' UR3s to the extent that the quality of the UR7s is considerably diminished and thus just wasting my money by upgrading one link in the chain?
confused.gif

I know that I could just upgrade the first link without compromise but I want to hear the UR7s through my speakers. I would appreciate any help in my quest to purchase the newest version of Grover's ICs . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back