Just received my DT-770/80 Pro's - not completely satisfied
Oct 7, 2009 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Cal

Head-Fier
These are my first "high-end" set of headphones. Up until now I've been using the supplied Apple earphones.

I eagerly plugged these into my computer expecting to hear a world of a difference and I am left unsatisfied and wanting more, to say the least. I can honestly say that I prefer the Apple earphones with my computer at the moment. However, I plugged the DT-770/80 Pro's into my iPhone 3G and noticed an immediate improvement over my Apple earphones. Now I can't take them off.

I'm no audio expert, so it's hard for me to describe what's "missing" when I plug these cans into my computer, but I can tell you that they're not living up to my expectations - which weren't all that high to begin with as I didn't know what to expect, these being my first "nice" headphones. The headphones themselves are fine because they sound great with my iPhone 3G.

I am running Realtek High Definition Audio (per the Device Manager) and using iTunes 9.0 to play my music (bit rates range from 256-320kbps if that makes a difference). I've been playing with the equalizer for the past 30 minutes and currently have it set on Live (from what I can see, I cannot customize the equalizer, only use the preset ones - pop, rock, live, jazz, treble, bass, etc.).

Suggestions?

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 14
The DT770/80 are very demanding headphones. They pretty much *need* an amp to unleash their full potential.

One reviewer did a test on his iPod with multiple headphones, including HD650 and PX100. This reviewer stated the PX100 sounded leaps-and-bounds better than the HD650, due to the HD650 not having an amp.

I think regardless how you use your headphones, they will *highly* benefit from an amp. You won't believe how much they transform!
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770/80 are very demanding headphones. They pretty much *need* an amp to unleash their full potential.

One reviewer did a test on his iPod with multiple headphones, including HD650 and PX100. This reviewer stated the PX100 sounded leaps-and-bounds better than the HD650, due to the HD650 not having an amp.

I think regardless how you use your headphones, they will *highly* benefit from an amp. You won't believe how much they transform!
biggrin.gif

That is what I figured. But I've done a fair amount of searching on this forum and have read mixed reviews.

I'm guessing I've just dug myself into a never ending money pit (much like my other hobbies - photography and cars. between the 3, i don't have enough money to eat 3 meals a day, ha!).

Any suggestions for a decent amp setup then? I'm not looking for anything top of the line - I don't need it. With that said, my budget isn't really an issue...but I'm not looking to spend more than I have to on a top of the line setup. Just something decent enough for the casual listener.

If it makes any difference, I listen to all sort of music. From reggae to oldies, hip-hop to rock, classical to pop, and everything in between still.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing I've just dug myself into a never ending money pit (much like my other hobbies - photography and cars. between the 3, i don't have enough money to eat 3 meals a day, ha!).

I hear you there! I'm taking the plunge into audiophile-world after just barely escaping photography-world. (I almost spent WAY to much on a better camera and gear!)
icon10.gif

This should help you significantly: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...mpared-214588/

I can't judge what you prefer, so have a look at that link and see if you can find anything you like. If not, I'll give you some suggestions I was looking into.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 14
You might also want to buy a dedicated sound card for the PC, integrated are bad.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 14
All this talk about headphones *absolutely needing* a dedicated amp in order to sound decent is ludicrous. There are only a handful of headphones that absolutely need one in order to sound decent. One of these extreme example is the K1000. If you don't like how a headphone sounds without an amp, then it's likely that you won't like how it sounds even with a DAC and amp.

About your preference for stock Apple iBuds over the DT770/80, what do you feel that the DT770 doesn't do well? What was your initial expectation?

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this talk about headphones *absolutely needing* a dedicated amp in order to sound decent is ludicrous. There are only a handful of headphones that absolutely need one in order to sound decent. One of these extreme example is the K1000. If you don't like how a headphone sounds without an amp, then it's likely that you won't like how it sounds even with a DAC and amp.

About your preference for stock Apple iBuds over the DT770/80, what do you feel that the DT770 doesn't do well? What was your initial expectation?

Really? So let me get this straight. An amp serves one purpose, right? Enable the headphone to successfully have sufficient enough power to be able to initiate its default factory determined sound, correct? So, why is it so many people say "It's not worth getting if you don't amp it?"

One example: If I buy a HD650 and use it with an iPod, the volume may be quiet, but it will still sound good?

(No, I'm not angry)
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

This is the best comment so far.
In my time with the DT770 Pro/80 I have found that they can work more than adequately unamped, although they do improve with extra power. I personally don't think that the problem you're experiencing is because you don't have an amp, but more likely it is because of the sound card you are using. You may want to look into a new DAC to help with this problem, but first you should try to give us a few more details about the problems you're having with the sound out of the computer vs out of the ipod.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the best comment so far.

Hope that isn't sarcasm.
beyersmile.png

That is what I thought. If it sounds better on your Ipod, then it is certainly your PC's sound card. You probably shouldn't get an upgrade unless you plan on lots of headphone usage on your PC.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal
Realtek High Definition Audio

This is your reason :p

I have the DT770/80 Pros and my sound card sound like bollocks (i have a laptop).

Edit2:
Highs sound harsh, mids sound a bit mucky and same goes with the bass. Overall it just sounds less musical and less pleasing.

My iPod sounds decent, my iPod with a line-out adaptor and portable amp sounds better again and.. i'm assuming the built in DAC in my amp sounds slightly better but i haven't really listened to much music through the DAC/amp. You need a decent balance of your audio source and amplification. Personally, i'd either get a semi-decent USB sound card (Eg. Asus Xonar U1 -- okay i have no idea how that is but its a start
tongue.gif
) or a portable amplifier with a built in USB DAC. (see: iBasso D2+ Boa or try the trade forum, amps generally don't wear and tear very fast).

Theres a huge as post somewhere in the portable amplifier section reviewing 37 different Portable Amplifiers with USB DACs, could be a start
smily_headphones1.gif
. Built-in soundcards = *puke*
frown.gif

edit:
ps. DAC = Digital to Analog Converter (ie. sound card) if you didn't know already
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Really? So let me get this straight. An amp serves one purpose, right? Enable the headphone to successfully have sufficient enough power to be able to initiate its default factory determined sound, correct? So, why is it so many people say "It's not worth getting if you don't amp it?"

One example: If I buy a HD650 and use it with an iPod, the volume may be quiet, but it will still sound good?

(No, I'm not angry)
wink.gif

I'm not saying that an amp will not improve SQ. I can guarantee you that most headphones will sound decent out of pretty much anything you throw at it.

As for "It's not worth getting if you don't amp it?", I really don't know where that statement came from. If I have to take a guess, I would think that the statement came from people who strive for the best SQ at any given moment. Does this mean that a headphone cannot sound decent without an amp? No.
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

As for "It's not worth getting if you don't amp it?", I really don't know where that statement came from. If I have to take a guess, I would think that the statement came from people who strive for the best SQ at any given moment. Does this mean that a headphone cannot sound decent without an amp? No.
wink.gif

Most people buy a $300 headphone to get $300 SQ. This usually isn't going to happen though without bringing it up just a bit with an amp. I've recognized way to many "....to bring out it's full potential..." amp statements. My question is: what is the gap between "amped-full potential" and "unamped-partial?" Personally, I feel restricted in purchasing headphones because of this whole amp thing. "Can't spend the extra for a headphone, because I also need an amp." If someone can clarify "how big the gap is" then I bet a lot of trouble can be prevented for future buyers, such as myself.
rolleyes.gif

Wow, what a mouthful.
popcorn.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Hope that isn't sarcasm.
beyersmile.png

That is what I thought. If it sounds better on your Ipod, then it is certainly your PC's sound card. You probably shouldn't get an upgrade unless you plan on lots of headphone usage on your PC.

No sarcasm, I thought that it was the most accurate based on my experience with the DT770.
As far as amps and power-hungry headphones go, I think that while some of the hungrier phones may not sound as good as you would hope for their price without an amp, many others (including the DT770 pro IMO) are more than adequate sans amp. This is not to say that they do not improve with an amp though as the 770 definately do in my experience.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Most people buy a $300 headphone to get $300 SQ. This usually isn't going to happen though without bringing it up just a bit with an amp. I've recognized way to many "....to bring out it's full potential..." amp statements. My question is: what is the gap between "amped-full potential" and "unamped-partial?" Personally, I feel restricted in purchasing headphones because of this whole amp thing. "Can't spend the extra for a headphone, because I also need an amp." If someone can clarify "how big the gap is" then I bet a lot of trouble can be prevented for future buyers, such as myself.
rolleyes.gif

Wow, what a mouthful.
popcorn.gif

It's a highly subjective question that doesn't have a solid answer. One might label the difference as "day and night" while another might call it subtle at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back