Just received my Denon DA300USB desktop DAC/amp
Aug 20, 2014 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Prophet293

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, nice to meet you all.

I just received my Denon DA300USB desktop DAC/amp from Amazon and I'm loving it so far. I have my PC hooked up to it via optical toslink cable atm the and have a couple of questions:

* I thought the whole idea of have an external DAC/sound card is so that all the audio processing is done on the external unit, yet I can still change the volume in Windows, doesn't that mean the onboard realtek sound card is still doing amplification? Is that a way to change the setting so that Windows passes ALL sound processing/control to the external Denon unit?

* In the realtek control panel, it gives me the option to change the audio quality all the way up to 24bit/192kHz and my Denon DAC picks it up too (showing 24bit/192 on its display), but my understanding is that the quality is dependent on the source material, like what's the point of playing low quality mp3 tracks with an output of 24bit/192kHz?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 11
  Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, nice to meet you all.

I just received my Denon DA300USB desktop DAC/amp from Amazon and I'm loving it so far. I have my PC hooked up to it via optical toslink cable atm the and have a couple of questions:

* I thought the whole idea of have an external DAC/sound card is so that all the audio processing is done on the external unit, yet I can still change the volume in Windows, doesn't that mean the on-board realtek sound card is still doing amplification? Is that a way to change the setting so that Windows passes ALL sound processing/control to the external Denon unit?

* In the Realtek control panel, it gives me the option to change the audio quality all the way up to 24bit/192kHz and my Denon DAC picks it up too (showing 24bit/192 on its display), but my understanding is that the quality is dependent on the source material, like what's the point of playing low quality mp3 tracks with an output of 24bit/192kHz?
Thanks in advance, guys.

The Realtek sound card is not doing any real amplification, the digital signal is just passing thru the sound card, usually it's best to set the Windows volume as high as possible and just use the Denon's volume knob to control volume

In the Playback tab (Control Panel> Sound > Playback), it give you the option of bypassing (S/PDIF) the sound card features, but the windows main volume control will still be able to effect volume.
The USB connection bypasses the sound card, but the Windows main volume control will still effect sound.

I usually leave my sample rate at 24/96, but 16-bit/44.1k should be fine for CD audio.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 11

The Realtek sound card is not doing any real amplification, the digital signal is just passing thru the sound card, usually it's best to set the Windows volume as high as possible and just use the Denon's volume knob to control volume

In the Playback tab (Control Panel> Sound > Playback), it give you the option of bypassing (S/PDIF) the sound card features, but the windows main volume control will still be able to effect volume.
The USB connection bypasses the sound card, but the Windows main volume control will still effect sound.

I usually leave my sample rate at 24/96, but 16-bit/44.1k should be fine for CD audio.

Thanks, PurpleAngel. That's some great info. I'm just, how does Windows change volume "digitally" without going through the sound card? I just automatically assumed that if the volume is being manipulated, it's being amplified.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 11

Thanks, PurpleAngel. That's some great info. I'm just, how does Windows change volume "digitally" without going through the sound card? I just automatically assumed that if the volume is being manipulated, it's being amplified.

That question is above my pay grade, might need to ask Bill Gates.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 11

t has something to do with the bit depth, and ergo dynamic range. See, just because it's in digital form it doesn't mean you can only control volume in analog - for example when you rip music you can set the gain lower or higher. With OS volume control, at 100% it will play at full bit depth resolution, so if you're playing a 16bit track with no upsampling involved in Windows, reducing the OS volume control means at some point you will be below 14bits (the lowest of any actual CD Player that ever existed; 1-bit DACs don't count, as Panasonic's MASH works differently). This is why you need to keep Windows at 100% - below that and you're not listening to the native resolution of the recording. Persoally for me though if it's a 24bit track or if there is any true upsampling being applied, then it's alright to drop the signal getting to the DAC as long as it stays at 16bits or more.

Some newer equipment now actually depend more on digital-level volume control (not the same as a digital volume control) and upsampling. The Wadia PowerDAC 151 for example removes the output circuit after the DAC chip and the input stage and potentiometer (volume control, etc) before the (speaker) power amp output stage which makes for a minimalist design for the analog signal path - in some cases when you have for example two DACs that use the same DAC circuit the difference in sound if any is because of the analog output stage (ne being less transparent than the other), and so minimizes coloration of the signal. It then upsamples incoming signals to 32bits, and its volume control works pretty much like Windows (except it happens after its own upsampling chip), which ensures that for virtually any speaker used even a native 16bit signal will not drop below its native resolution.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 11
great info guys, learned a lot today. 

Update: I hooked the DAC to my PC via USB now and Windows now passes all control over to the DAC, you can change the volume in windows but nothing happens.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 11
I wanted to bump this thread instead of creating a new one as it's somewhat relevant.

I have just purchased a Denon da-300usb DAC and connected via USB to my Windows PC.

It's currently plugged into my M-Audio BX5A studio monitors.

The issue I've been having is I'm unable to pass all volume control over to the DAC.

I'm unable control the speakers via the volume knob on the DAC. The only volume the DAC changes is when headphones are plugged in.

Windows volume is disabled, however, applications such as my Chrome, games, Spotify, VLC,  are taking it's own control over the volume.

In the windows sound properties under my Denon device, I'm able to uncheck 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'  - however, this still doesn't do anything.

So volume adjustments I'm able to toggle is behind the speakers, or through the specific application I'm using, for example the toggle on Spotify.

I'm in constant fear of opening a new YouTube or similar window as the default high volume will cause my ears to explode. Any help would be much appreciated!

-Don

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 11
  I wanted to bump this thread instead of creating a new one as it's somewhat relevant.

I have just purchased a Denon da-300usb DAC and connected via USB to my Windows PC.

It's currently plugged into my M-Audio BX5A studio monitors.

The issue I've been having is I'm unable to pass all volume control over to the DAC.

I'm unable control the speakers via the volume knob on the DAC. The only volume the DAC changes is when headphones are plugged in.

Windows volume is disabled, however, applications such as my Chrome, games, Spotify, VLC,  are taking it's own control over the volume.

In the windows sound properties under my Denon device, I'm able to uncheck 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'  - however, this still doesn't do anything.

So volume adjustments I'm able to toggle is behind the speakers, or through the specific application I'm using, for example the toggle on Spotify.

I'm in constant fear of opening a new YouTube or similar window as the default high volume will cause my ears to explode. Any help would be much appreciated!

-Don

hello, have you fix the issue ?

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #10 of 11
me and my sister we need a dac good enough for the 400euro-dollar price range which wont get a buz noise from the krk rokit 5's with good capabilities and with potesiometre or volume knob to control the monitor speakers .. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 11
  me and my sister we need a dac good enough for the 400euro-dollar price range which wont get a buz noise from the krk rokit 5's with good capabilities and with potesiometre or volume knob to control the monitor speakers .. 

If you don't really need to drive headphones with it as well as a dedicated headphone amp, get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back