Just received my Cowon S9
Jan 2, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #46 of 72
Go into settings, clock then timer and change auto off to whatever you fancy.

Similar for the display, again settings/display auto screen off.

Someone didn't read the instructions.
biggrin.gif

But as for the battery damn that is disappointing.

They do run at a lower brightness to get the longer run times, same for mp3's you can shut the screen off flicking the on/off switch, i also put the hold switch to touchscreen only so i can still work the buttons.

Try updating the firmware, see if that cures anything.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huxley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go into settings, clock then timer and change auto off to whatever you fancy.

Similar for the display, again settings/display auto screen off.

Someone didn't read the instructions.
biggrin.gif

But as for the battery damn that is disappointing.

They do run at a lower brightness to get the longer run times, same for mp3's you can shut the screen off flicking the on/off switch, i also put the hold switch to touchscreen only so i can still work the buttons.

Try updating the firmware, see if that cures anything.

Knew about the settings (my 6th cowon lol), my screen is set for 30 sec. and my power off 3 min. Probably defective, just not really an upgrade from my touch, only the bbe and eq settings and oled screen. So refund time.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #49 of 72
Does sound duff to me shame your put off by it, not willing to give another unit a try then?

Im surprised you say it's not an upgrade from the touch, the s9 smashes my nano, ive had to recode quite a bit of my mp3 collection thanks to it, infact it even shows up my super fi 5's to the point where im looking at sleek customs.

Good luck though.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Does sound duff to me shame your put off by it, not willing to give another unit a try then?

Im surprised you say it's not an upgrade from the touch, the s9 smashes my nano, ive had to recode quite a bit of my mp3 collection thanks to it, infact it even shows up my super fi 5's to the point where im looking at sleek customs.

Good luck though.

Well cowons not the easiest to deal with as far as exchanges, and the touch gen 2 is very close at "base" sound quality. In fact in some respects it's better (less hiss) more bass and bigger soundstage than the s9. At least with shure e530
biggrin.gif
Where is shines is that beautiful oled screen and the bbe+ effects. I might just see what sony has in store as far as new touch screen daps, if any.

In fact, does anybody know a phone # for cowon america, so I don't have to go through the stupid ticket process? Funny, jet mall has no problem with communicating with aol when you order. But when you want support, aol doesn't work LOL.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well A bit of an update, folks the s9 is going back to cowon for a refund. Besides the many bugs that have popped up (which I could live with), the battery life is abysmal. I have been through about 5 complete (5 hour) charges and I get about an average of eight hours music and 2 of video
frown.gif
This is with mostly 192, 224 vbr lame and low bit rate avi's, under 1000 kps, no jet effects or eq. My touch is getting better battery life. I like the sound and video, but it's not that superior to my touch to suffer throw the horrible battery life. Maybe I got a bum unit, but I don't feel like playing mail tag with jet audio. I'll stick with my touch for videos and maybe check out the sony touchscreen if it materializes. Can't recommend the s9 from my experience, I mean it has to be defective if it's getting less than my touch?

Are you charging though USB or AC? Because the USB charge Absolutely does not work at all.

I have a Cowon S9 titanium Black 16gb and I use my Old ipod AC Charger to charge my ipod, but you can use any AC -> USB charger that outputs AC 5 Volts 1 Amper. or above.

I've been able to get ~14 hours so far only because i've never let it die out, but the battery indicator never goes down to half. I play some Audio (mp3/ogg/Flac) and some movies all @ 480x272 Xvid ~600kbs, Mp3 128kbs CBR.

These are images while the S9 were charging though AC.
img2030rn5.jpg

img2033kp1.jpg

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Well cowons not the easiest to deal with as far as exchanges, and the touch gen 2 is very close at "base" sound quality. In fact in some respects it's better (less hiss) more bass and bigger soundstage than the s9. At least with shure e530
biggrin.gif
Where is shines is that beautiful oled screen and the bbe+ effects. I might just see what sony has in store as far as new touch screen daps, if any.

In fact, does anybody know a phone # for cowon america, so I don't have to go through the stupid ticket process? Funny, jet mall has no problem with communicating with aol when you order. But when you want support, aol doesn't work LOL.

Just how noticeable is the "hiss" effect on the S9, using the SE530's? I mean, is it only noticeable at HIGH volumes, or is it present at even low-mid volumes (60-75db's) as well?

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjpjimmy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you charging though USB or AC? Because the USB charge Absolutely does not work at all.

I have a Cowon S9 titanium Black 16gb and I use my Old ipod AC Charger to charge my ipod, but you can use any AC -> USB charger that outputs AC 5 Volts 1 Amper. or above.

I've been able to get ~14 hours so far only because i've never let it die out, but the battery indicator never goes down to half. I play some Audio (mp3/ogg/Flac) and some movies all @ 480x272 Xvid ~600kbs, Mp3 128kbs CBR.

These are images while the S9 were charging though AC.
img2030rn5.jpg

img2033kp1.jpg

I charged it on my powered usb, with my computer off and always waited till I got the battery full icon.

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron5604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just how noticeable is the "hiss" effect on the S9, using the SE530's? I mean, is it only noticeable at HIGH volumes, or is it present at even low-mid volumes (60-75db's) as well?

nano 2g, 3g lvl (not bad) at medium volume, but if the eq is used, big hiss. I'ts not that bad it's just the touch 2g is so quiet.

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

I charged it on my powered usb, with my computer off and always waited till I got the battery full icon.

Do you still have the S9 to try charging though AC? (wall jack)

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Good ideal, didn't think the usb might not be providing sufficient voltage to charge correctly, many pc's have cheap psu's fitted.

All my other daps charge fine with that port so.... ?

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Surely it's worth a try though?

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Try charging on a different computer just to rule it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back