Just read this on Lifehacker: Backblaze. Is it the ultimate backup solution?
Dec 4, 2008 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mofonyx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

It's like paying for insurance, $50 a year to have all your lossless files in a secure location.

Sounds good to me, but I can't afford it. I'd like to see people with terabytes of data abusing their unlimited storage claims.

Would any of you be interested in using this?

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 17
Well I add insurance cover for my physical media, so it makes sense to do something with the digital side of things I guess... possibly not this particular solution with my upload speeds though...

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 17
Why dont u back it up yourself?

just get an external HDD and back it up

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 17
+1 on that. though the external hdd might fail as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 17
I don't think the main problem for me would be the price they are asking (which is really cheap) but more the transport of everything. How on earth will I get it there with my mere 100 kbps upload?

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 17
I also think the external HDD solution is better. Actually, I would do it this way:

1- Buy two external drives. One is local, one remote (i.e. workplace, parents house, GF's house etc.)
2- Backup local, then carry it off site and take the remote drive back, Repeat as often as needed.

This way, you always have a local drive to do your backups, and still have a remote drive offsite with (hopefully) recent data. I just don't trust these online storage companies with my data. Also, I would encrypt the entire external drive, just to play it safe. I use Truecrypt, for that purpose.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 17
Those online back-up companies seem like a good idea at first but as mentioned you are limited by generally extremely slow upload speeds.

Plus what happens if this new tech start-up flops, what happens to your data? Could be a giant waste of time.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1- Buy two external drives. One is local, one remote (i.e. workplace, parents house, GF's house etc.)
2- Backup local, then carry it off site and take the remote drive back, Repeat as often as needed.

This is pretty much what I am doing right now. However I don't carry hard drives back and forth because on average - depending on your upload and the amount of data you are trying to backup per day obviously - there is no need to do so. Once you've made the first 'complete' backup you can make the others incremental or differential or you could just copy the changed/new files. I am making backups continuously from a NAS. (using QoS to make this work) A friend of mine has a NAS as well and is doing to the same thing but in the other direction. This has been working very well for the both of us and also works very well for keeping data on several laptops/desktops synchronized.(we've got quite a few computers between the two of us)

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 17
I do both external hard disk and Internet backup. My $5/month Mozy.com subscription is more than worth it for me to have the added insurance, especially at work when my files are worth many times more than $5 (I pay for it separately at home and work). It's not flawless, and the restore of an entire hard disk can be a real pain, but it's well worth the $5/month.

I would not use Blu-Ray, DVD, or CD as my only backup medium, as DVD and CD are notoriously unreliable over time and Blu-Ray has not been proven to be archival quality yet. A hard disk drive, even one that's put in storage, is much more reliable than DVD or CD.

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 17
I have my music backed up at 3 WD ext discs. (thats 3 discs with the same on). and use one internal to play my music on so i have 4x the same music
deadhorse.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think the external HDD solution is better. Actually, I would do it this way:

Terrible idea.
redface.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terrible idea.
redface.gif

hahahaha you're right. I didn't think this all the way through (I've been married for many years, but I mentioned GF for some of the younger Head-Fi'ers out there).

The GF location is especially bad if there's other stuff on your drive that shall not be mentioned, and it's not encrypted.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 17
Two HDDs can still fail /paranoid.

I just thought this was a good idea cos I'm on uni broadband now and it maxes out the 100mbit ethernet port.

Getting 250GB of data back would be hell though. I guess DVD/Blu Ray is the way to go.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 17
Always a risk of fail for any method, best to look for a nice Ex HDD like all the other guys who posted. In the long run the cost adds up anyways. 500GB for only $89 that's a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back