Just put on my new pair of Sennheiser HD-595's, I'm disappointed!?
Dec 26, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #16 of 21
HD595s never gave distorsion or seriously lacked in bass for me. I ran them via soundcard and later external amp and was very satisfied. There *is* bass but if you're used to have abnormal amounts of brain cell humpers, there are alternatives described above.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elotemuygrande /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 595s had NO bass...NO BASS. They had fantastic clarity, but with no bass they were only fantastic for listening to some styles of jazz and classical. Don't even think about trying industrial, metal, electronic, organ etc. The 595s also began distorting(pop) at only moderately high volume levels.

?

this is not my experience, & i listen to electronic (techno, trance...)... i feel they have sufficient bass but some people prefer a more bass up-front sound. mind you, i listen to electronic FOR the other stuff going on, like ambient soundscapes you might find in trance, or smaller beats or glitches etc..

they are indeed capable of giving awesome bass, try 'em from a synth when mucking about with lower filters 'n' stuff... very pleasing.

but overall bass is definitely not their first point, it all comes down to what your driving them with. i hate to say it, but even from an ipod i now prefer them to HD25-1 despite them being a tad underpowered - the SQ is much better.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmapes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now for the next logical question, what am I powering these cans with? I am running these cans off of my computer, through an amplified headphone jack attached to my $300~ logitech pc speaker set.

My hd580 has NO bass when attached straight to a computer. That logitech set doesn't amplify at all, it just passes the signal.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #19 of 21
EQ them. + 5dB on 30-80dB, +4dB to 100 Hz, +3dB to 200 Hz, +2dB to 300 Hz and +1dB to 400 Hz should do the trick.
L3000.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #20 of 21
HD595 should have bass allright. Its just not that rumbling subbass that closed headphones are capable off nor boomy mid and upperbass a'la many cheap headphones, but all the bass frequencies are there and audible clearly.

If you want strong and boosted bass, DT770 is your option.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elotemuygrande /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Denon D2000s. They are what I've moved to from the 595s.

The 595s had NO bass...NO BASS. They had fantastic clarity, but with no bass they were only fantastic for listening to some styles of jazz and classical. Don't even think about trying industrial, metal, electronic, organ etc. The 595s also began distorting(pop) at only moderately high volume levels.

The d2000s have great clarity and such pervasive bass that I'm still getting acclimated to it. They can also be listened to at ear-destroying levels with zero distortion. They aren't perfect by any means, but they are far better than the Senns unless you're only into Mozart.

The Grados are also good if you like somewhat less bass, and more mids. They seem to have only slightly less clarity than the Denons and Senns.

I experienced the pop noise that comes from the 595's as well last night when I gave them a go with boosted bass levels. I made sure to boost it, but NOT let the signal clip, and at first I finally had some semi-satisfying bass output. Then as I cranked up the volume level I was greeted by some very loud pops, which is an indicator of the drivers physically bottoming out.

This isn't to say that the 595's don't have any merits, they do. The clairity is very nice, and with some genres of music they sound fantastic. Classical, jazz (non bass heavy), and even some old school rap sounds very nice. They just don't suit my tastes because I like a hearty serving of accurate bass with my gourmet mids and highs.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from the enjoyment of reading Head-Fi threads, this is a great resource.

Its a shame you didn't read other posts before getting your HD595, as you would have known that an Open Air such as the HD595 normally wouldn't have the bass you loved from a Closed headphone.

Well now with this thread, I hope you find the phones you desire.

It is a shame, because I thought that the 150+ reviews on amazon.com were enough to make an informed buying decision. I am pretty good about looking up specialized experience such as the experiences of those on these forums. Because after all, an opinion about certain headphones does not matter much if the persons reference is only a $5 pair of no-name headphones.

I consider it a learning experience, I should be able to correct everything without spending much money except for return shipping. You live you learn.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back