Just purchased VD power cord... what has Head-Fi done to me?
Dec 20, 2002 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

grancasa

100+ Head-Fier
I never would have thought I would be the type of person to put a $100 power cable in my audio system. After talking on the phone with Ric from Virtual Dynamics (nice guy, but he was talking about "messages from the Lord" giving him ideas about his cables ??? ) I decided to take the plunge and purchased a Power 3.

Right now I'm going to hook it up to my MG Head OTL, but I'd like to get my Sony SACD player an IEC jack so I can use it on the source. Any idea of places I can get this done, or how I can do it myself? Also, any reccomentdations on what to do with the new power cord (direct into wall or not, ProGold on ends, burn in time, etc)?

Dec 20, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Rub it with a Shakti stone while chanting
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 9
So let me get this straight. You want to run a $100 power cable to a $200 DVD player?

I hear EEGs can be measured even in lemmings. Might wanna contact a neurologist and see if anything registers.

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
So let me get this straight. You want to run a $700 power cable to a $200 DVD player?

$75 cable into $200 DVD player Kelly!!

Rick recos plugging the cords right into the wall, but almost no one does that. They usually plug them into a surge protector or power conditioner. It all depends on whether or not you want to run the risk of losing a piece of equipment from a surge or spike. If you want, you can get the Cyber Power AVR900 or higher and plug into that, they are cheap and have battery back-up, it is a UPS ya know, and does a great job of correcting voltage problems. It will take from 87-140+ volts and change it back into 115v. These units run about $100, and the other option is Monster Power HTS1100 for about $200.

Let it burn-in for at least a week before you decide what to think. PCs seem to take time to settle in more than ICs. As to the ProGold or other coatings, I wouldn't mess with what works!!! These cables are quite good and work well the way they come.

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 9
I knew I could count on kelly for a smart ass remark.

Seems a bit hypocritical, what with running your ~$75 Boulder mini-rca cable out of a ~$70 Panasonic portable
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by grancasa
I knew I could count on kelly for a smart ass remark.

Seems a bit hypocritical, what with running your ~$75 Boulder mini-rca cable out of a ~$70 Panasonic portable
very_evil_smiley.gif

The mini to RCA was used to connect a soundcard, portable or any other mini out jack to the Corda HA-1 which originally had such a high bandwidth that it received radio station signals in my downtown high rise office. The expense was to fix an explicit problem. While you could argue that the better solution was adjusting the bandwidth in the HA-1 (which was also done later), I don't think it is comparable to trying to connect an upgraded power cable to a source that is so cheap that it doesn't even have an IEC jack for the purpose of expecting a higher sound quality. Obviously the bottleneck is NOT the power cable.

(And for anyone else reading: the Bolder is a good cable if you need it for whatever other reason. I've used it to do things you'd never expect.)

Dec 20, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Was editing as you were replying.

I know, sorry!! After I hit the reply button and posted I saw your edit. My bad!!! I was too quick on the draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back