Just purchased the SA5000. Whats a good amp/s (portable and home) for it?
Aug 17, 2005 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

sirnice

100+ Head-Fier
Just purchase the SA5000 from another headfier. I need to purchase a amp that can bring the best out of the SA5000. Prefereable under $300 if possible or around that price.

I'm considering these two amps.
Portaphile v2^2 and the Gilmore Lite v2.

Any input and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 50
People often mention the M^3 for the SA5K.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
Venio

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
People often mention the M^3 for the SA5K.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
Venio

2nded

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 50
I just got the SA5k, but unfortunately, this was after I could've listened to them through the m3 and the porta V2. Dang it.

I've not heard the SA5k with the better portaphile, but I can say that the portaphile is not bad at all and is much better than it's size would indicate. It will drive Grados nicely. Based on the fact that the m3 does an even better job with Grados, I'd say it is worth a serious evaluation with the SA5k.

As far as saving money goes - check out RockHopper, or post a request in the DIY area for one. I'm sure someone will respond through pm that can give you something real nice within your budget. You could even post a WTB in the official for sale area. Probably pick up a nice used one that way.

Hth!
Dan

Aug 17, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 50
No one mentioned anything about the Gilmore lite v2. Is it bad or just unpopular?

Aug 17, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirnice
No one mentioned anything about the Gilmore lite v2. Is it bad or just unpopular?

It's not bad by any respects. To most people it doesn't fit well with the SA5K. It's great for other headphones. The GLite will make the SA5K extremely bright since the SA5K is bright and the GLite also rather cold.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I might sell you a Ming Da MC66AE tube headphone amp - made in China on 6/10/05 - class A output. $250 total shipped. Used a few days in evaluating.
Feature good sound but an audible hum in quiet passages. I live in Gainesville, Florida. If you happen to be nearby you couldtry it out

Um.. what the hell?
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132541

To the OT : Maybe try a Singlepower PPX3/SLAM.. would pair nicely with your VDA-1 + VAC-1, =). (You've got the green!)

Aug 17, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Yep, if you have the money, get those tubes.
biggrin.gif

But damn, I wish I had the money too.
biggrin.gif
It's just $200 out of reach! Eeeeeks....

To reiterate, by those I think he means the Singlepower.

Aug 17, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I might sell you a Ming Da MC66AE tube headphone amp - made in China on 6/10/05 - class A output. $250 total shipped. Used a few days in evaluating.
Feature good sound but an audible hum in quiet passages. I live in Gainesville, Florida. If you happen to be nearby you couldtry it out

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll stay with the known and proven quality amps around here. I'm afraid to venture into unknow territory @ $250.

k1000smile.gif

I'm going to visit China next year. Maybe I'll try some chinese amps while I'm there and do some comparison.

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 50
I think the SDS-XLR + a recabling might be good sirnice.. it's not too expensive..

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Wait, what? I meant the PPX3.
biggrin.gif
At ~ 600, it's ~ 200 above my budget.
tongue.gif

So Veniogenesis, I see you're in the same situation as me.
What amp did you get or leaning toward?

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirnice
So Veniogenesis, I see you're in the same situation as me.
What amp did you get or leaning toward?

Yep, I'm in the exact position you are in. 1. I bought a SA5K from a fellow member and it's coming in soon. 2. I'm looking for an amp around $250 to $400.
tongue.gif

Truthfully, my thoughts have varied wildly. They've gone from G-Lite ($300) to AE-1 ($350) to M^3 ($285 - $400) to MicroAMP ($300) to the Hornet ($350).

Now I'm utterly confused and just going to wait for more impressions of the AE-1 and Hornet (which are pretty new). The AE-1 just came out and the Hornet won't be out for another 2 months.

The only reason I'm still considering, though, is because I want to have a portable setup. HOWEVER! If you want to stay under $300 and you don't care about portability, the M^3 is the obvious choice.

But otherwise, if you're considering portability, eeeks! We're in the same position.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back