Just purchased the Klipsch Image s4i
Oct 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

archercat

100+ Head-Fier
Got them last night, listening to them now... Coming from some Triples and IE6's prior to that.

Firstly... Holy cats the cable is thin... Thinner than any other I have used. Hopefully I won't break it, I looked at it cross-eyed and it tangled by itself! Very tangle prone for me...

Compared to the IE6's (from what I recall) - Slightly more treble, less sound leakage. (imo)

Compared to my old e2c's - It does everything but isolate better. (imo)

Compared to the Triples - more bass quantity, less treble extension, more midrange, less separation, less isolation, better comfort (I didn't have any major issue with the Triples, but these are decidedly more comfy). (imo)

Even paying retail at 99 bucks I think it was a good deal.

I have 14 days to return if needed, but right now it looks like I have a winner... The only other one that interested me was the Super.fi 5vi... I haven't seen much on comparing these exact two however, juts a mention that the s4i might be better...

FYI, the pod thingy works perfectly.... makes voice commands easy too! A little weird with the mic in the yoke, but seemed to do that job.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 8
Glad you like the S4i. I love my S4's and listen to them frequently nowadays. Klipsch has had issues with cables on their iems. The Custom 3 has a horrible cable. It tangles much easier than the S4 and is horribly microphonic. Just with a slight movement, I hear alot of cable noise. Nowhere near as bad with the S4. I thought klipsch would have fixed the issue by now with a new cable design.

In terms of soundstage, how does the IE6 and S4 compare?

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 8
I've been enjoying mine for a few days now too. I'm mightily impressed. I just tried out the mic with my iPhone on the drive home from work today. Made me glad I went for this version, as driving a 6spd manual is not conducive to holding conversations.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 8
My S4 should be coming in tomorrow, hope it serves as a good backup for my IE7.
smily_headphones1.gif

How does it compare with your IE8, cn11?

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Cn11, LOL... I too drive a 6speed.... The voice commands are a lifesaver, trying to search for a contact while shifting into 2nd with a close ratio is not fun...

Warranty is 1 year, and as posted in another thread, it may not cover cables, just drivers...

I wish these had Sennheiser IE6 cables...

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My S4 should be coming in tomorrow, hope it serves as a good backup for my IE7.
smily_headphones1.gif

How does it compare with your IE8, cn11?

They're a very nice complement. I haven't sat down to listen back to back directly, but overall my impressions are that they present the treble slightly more prominently. Their mids are noticeably better than the IE8's, and this is where the S4's really shine IMO. They have less bass quantity than the IE8's, but what they have is nice and taut. It can be EQ'd nicely though (as I like me bass). Soundstage is more closed in than with the IE8's of course, but that's to be expected.

So to summarize:
1) Bass- decent quantity, nice and taut
2) Mids- the phones' strong point, very smooth and detailed, nicely filled in after listening with the IE8's
3) Treble- Very nice detail while maintaining a smooth signature (some report treble harshness out of the box but I didn't hear it that way, and I'm pretty averse to harsh highs)

Edit- Sorry I missed your post before you got them, I suppose you're evaluating them yourself now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back