Just purchased some studio monitors for computer no idea what lead to get, please help?
Jul 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PureJaz

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

After using just my headphones for the last year or so i have decided to purchase a cheap pair of studio monitors.

The intention is, if i start using them more than the headphones i might upgrade to a decent pair of speakers.

For now though i have no idea what cable i need.

The back of the speakers look like:

I have an Asus Essence STX sounds card.

I think its an RCA cable to 1/4 jack but i am not sure.

Help + links would greatly be appreciated.

Sorry, i know its a very simple question.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 11
  After using just my headphones for the last year or so I have decided to purchase a cheap pair of studio monitors.
The intention is, if I start using them more than the headphones I might upgrade to a decent pair of speakers.
For now though I have no idea what cable I need.
The back of the speakers look like:
I have an Asus Essence STX sounds card.
I think its an RCA cable to 1/4 jack but i am not sure.
Help + links would greatly be appreciated.
Sorry, i know its a very simple question.

Technically you have un-powered passive speakers, not (self-powered) active studio monitors.

You will need a speaker amplifier, to go between the Essence STX and the (un-powered) speakers.
Might find something low cost at Parts-Express.
Or find a used speaker amplifier or receiver on Craigslist.

You can connect speaker wires directly to the posts on the back of the speakers or use Banana plugs.
Banana clips will not improve audio quality, they just make it easier to quickly unplug are replug in the speakers.
Leave the metal clips in place, unless you have plans for a bi-wire or bi-amplifier setup (which I'm sure you do not).
I would think 16 or 18 gauge speaker wire would be a good choice.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Yup those are passive monitors, just hit up a thrift store and you can usually find one for like $30 bucks or so.

That's how I got one of my older stereo receivers Onkyo TX-8555

Then you just need to connect your speakers with a 3.5mm to RCA (if it's an older receiver which it likely will be)

If it's slightly newer then you can feed it Digital Coax or Optical (I prefer optical, RFI won't go through)

Or you can get a brand spanking new receiver. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=919437&gclid=CLv_nMnfxb8CFRWVfgodBAoA3g&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Then you can also set up surround sound if you cared for it later or just have the ability to connect HDMI audio which has pretty much as much bandwidth as one could dream for.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Thank you for the replies.

I was going to pick up a cheap amplifier for now.

But thought for a not to much amount i could get a fairly decent one.

Looking for one under £200 and happy to buy second hand from Ebay.

I was thinking something like a Yamaha A-S500?

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 11
  Thank you for the replies.
I was going to pick up a cheap amplifier for now.
But thought for a not to much amount I could get a fairly decent one.
Looking for one under £200 and happy to buy second hand from Ebay.
I was thinking something like a Yamaha A-S500?

Here in the USA, the best price I could find on the A-S500 is $325 (190 GBP).
Check out the website forum AVforum (UK), they might know of something that is a better deal (brand or price wise).
I like Yamaha, but you might as well check out for the best deal.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Hey thank you for the advice:

From Ebay i can get it for £180 + £12 postage = £192.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-AS500-Integrated-Amplifier-A-S500-Black-/141338974192?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item20e87597f0

For for a similar price i can get a Marantz PM6004:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-PM6004-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-PM-6004-/141322130127?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item20e77492cf

I'm leaning towards the Marantz. Any views?

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 11
  Hey thank you for the advice:
From Ebay i can get it for £180 + £12 postage = £192.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-AS500-Integrated-Amplifier-A-S500-Black-/141338974192?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item20e87597f0
For for a similar price i can get a Marantz PM6004:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-PM6004-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-PM-6004-/141322130127?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item20e77492cf
I'm leaning towards the Marantz. Any views?

The Yamaha outputs twice the watts of the Marantz, but watts does not tell the whole story.
Here in the USA the 6004 ($450) sells for about $50 more then the A-S500 ($400)
I think the PM6004 is being closed out for the PM6005 ($700).
So the PM6004 might be selling for less then it's real value.

They both PM6004 & A-S500 weight 22.7 pounds (weird).
As the A-S500 outputs twice the watts (bigger amps?), you would think it would weight more then the PM6004.

Yea, I think the Marantz PM6004 might be the better choice 

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 11
I've gone for the Marantz.

Also ordered:

Twin RCA phono to Twin RCA Phono Leads x2 to connect both speakers to the AMP.

And a RCA Phono to 1/4 (6.35m) Jack to connect the AMP to the Asus Essence Sounds Card is that correct?

Thank you for all the help :D

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 11
  I've gone for the Marantz.
Also ordered:
Twin RCA phono to Twin RCA Phono Leads x2 to connect both speakers to the AMP.
And a RCA Phono to 1/4 (6.35m) Jack to connect the AMP to the Asus Essence Sounds Card is that correct?
Thank you for all the help :D

Amplifier outputs do not use RCA jacks (normally) for connection to the speakers.
The RCA jacks on the back of the PM6004 are for line-in or line-output connections (Analog audio signal)
For the speakers connections either you use the bare ends of the speaker wires or use Banana clips (connected to the ends of the speaker wire).

When connection the Essence STX to the PM6004, you would use an RCA to RCA cable, one for each of the two channels (stereo audio).

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Ha ha i am so silly.

So i've changed my order too:

One Twin RCA phono to Twin RCA Phono Leads to connect the Amp to the Sounds card.

Then i am going to buy Standard high quality speaker wire (like a role of 30metres or what not).

With that i am going to purchase 8 banana plugs 4 for each speaker.

Hopefully i am finally there haha.

Thanks again for the help.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 11
  Ha ha i am so silly.
So i've changed my order too:
One Twin RCA phono to Twin RCA Phono Leads to connect the Amp to the Sounds card.
Then i am going to buy Standard high quality speaker wire (like a role of 30 meters or what not).
With that i am going to purchase 8 banana plugs 4 for each speaker.
Hopefully i am finally there haha.
Thanks again for the help.

Really only need to use two banana plugs for each speaker, as the metal clips already connect two terminals to each other.
Unless your bi-wiring the amp to the speakers, which I doubt would make a noticeable difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back