Just plugged a 120V PSU on a 240V plug, is inevitable my PSU has been damaged??
Aug 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bolardito

500+ Head-Fier
Currently I'm traveling in Argentina where there is 240V plugs. I didn't know this so I plugged my Elpac 120V PSU onto my amp and it didn't power it. So I tried again and nothing. I realized the input voltage issue so I took out the PSU form the plug. There wasn't any burnt smell or any broken circuit, just didn't work. When I grabbed the adaptor it was a a little hot but not at all burnt nor burnt smell.

Do you think the PSU has been damaged?? I haven't been able to check if ti works since only 240V plugs here and I just paid US$50 for the PSU online, I don't know if I have to order it again
confused.gif

Then I turned on the amp using the batteries and it was working OK, the amp wasn't damaged by the load just didn't work with the PSU.

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 7
From the looks of the pic in the link, I doubt you can fix whatever is damaged. The bright side is that you are in a place where you should be able to find a replacement with switchable 120/240 input for your needs. Just match up the output voltage (DC) and currect rating and you should be fine. I highly doubt the damage made it past the wall wart.

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 7
plug 120v PSU into 240v should effectively make it a paper weight
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 7
yup, agree with chesebert.... most likely.. you broke your psu

I seriously doubt they wound put fuse in that adapter..

Yes, I broke a game boy, three psu and some other electronic back in childhood.

since my dad had a company in the World Trade Center in Taiwan....

and they have 120v and 240v sockets next to each other =_=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back