Just picked up SR225's...
Apr 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

t1337Dude

100+ Head-Fier
...I'm not audiophile in the least - this is my first quality headphone - but I find the bass a bit lacking. Perhaps this is resolved with burn-in or something, but I also heard these headphones benefit from an amp. I've heard that it doesn't need much of an amp to get the boost they can get and I've overheard that the PA2v2 would do the job.

Is it worth the cash to pick one up? I'm using these headphones at home and on the go - but maybe instead I should save up for an X-Fi Prelude. I know it's a soundcard and doesn't benefit me on the go, but it certainly might be more than worth it at home.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 23
Some suggestions:

- Burn them in some if they are new. The sound will change somewhat with use.

- Try plugging them into an older reciever's headphone jack and see if they sound any better. Some of the older reciever's had half decent headphone jacks. If you find your bass with that, then you might need an amp. I liked my 225's with an amp better, but they were also serviceable without one.

- Be aware of your past "expectations". A lot of people starting out with better equipment have spent half a lifetime being corrupted by big, boomy and bloated bass on cheaper hardware. Sure, it might get the foot tapping at first...but it's not realistic. A good set of equipment will often produce a tighter more defined bass that might be less in quantity but provides better "impact"......but it takes some time to appreciate it.

If you burn in your 225's...use them for a week, and then go back to your old (lesser?) headphone, you'll be amazed how your brain will get retrained to the new sound.

- You can also try Senn 414 pads or flat pads on the 225's. These will add bass to the 225's presentation by putting the driver closer to your ear. You can simulate this sound somewhat by compressing the 225's against your head while using the bowl pads (but don't cover the metal mesh with your palms as the driver needs "to breathe" during use).

Good luck.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 23
I have the 225's and they did benefit from burn in of atleast 30+hrs. At first, I too was disappointed with the bass output but your ears will be accustomed to the Grado sound. Some people don't like it because it places the mids forward and the treble maybe a little much but the bass extends low and is punchy and keeps up with the speed of the music.

Lots of info. here pertaining to changing the stock bowl pads to flats or comfies and the Sennheiser yellow foam pads and tape mods to bring out the bass. I actually prefer bowls with them and give me more air and separation in the music. These have only been displaced by the RS1's but I can tell you that the 225's from a price value is excellent. They hold there own in comparison to the RS1.

They sound fine straight from an ipod but try to use a high bitrate as it can make lower bitrates sound meh. Get an amp in the future but as of now, enjoy them and burn em in. Wash your pads to soften them up if they are too rough for your ears. Good luck.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some suggestions:

- Burn them in some if they are new. The sound will change somewhat with use.

- Try plugging them into an older reciever's headphone jack and see if they sound any better. Some of the older reciever's had half decent headphone jacks. If you find your bass with that, then you might need an amp. I liked my 225's with an amp better, but they were also serviceable without one.

- Be aware of your past "expectations". A lot of people starting out with better equipment have spent half a lifetime being corrupted by big, boomy and bloated bass on cheaper hardware. Sure, it might get the foot tapping at first...but it's not realistic. A good set of equipment will often produce a tighter more defined bass that might be less in quantity but provides better "impact"......but it takes some time to appreciate it.

If you burn in your 225's...use them for a week, and then go back to your old (lesser?) headphone, you'll be amazed how your brain will get retrained to the new sound.

- You can also try Senn 414 pads or flat pads on the 225's. These will add bass to the 225's presentation by putting the driver closer to your ear. You can simulate this sound somewhat by compressing the 225's against your head while using the bowl pads (but don't cover the metal mesh with your palms as the driver needs "to breathe" during use).

Good luck.

I'm burning them in right now. Before I was using cheap $5 ear buds so the sound quality is obviously a HUGE improvement, and I really enjoy the headphones as is. Though there's just some parts where I wish the bass was a little deeper. As is the headphones sound a tad "thin". The clarity though is magnificent. I don't know what you mean by a receiver, I'm not sure if I have any of those.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 23
To me the 225's were real crummy before they where broken in. Once they were though....... They were AWESOME. Ugly duckling into a swan kinda thing.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the 225's were real crummy before they where broken in. Once they were though....... They were AWESOME. Ugly duckling into a swan kinda thing.

Very exciting to hear. I don't really know what to break them in with so I've just been pumping some Aphex Twin albums into them. I have to say though - broken in or not, these things plugged into my guitar amp sound amazing.

Are 320kbps MP3s a good enough source for these headphones? Or should I start heading for .wav files?

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very exciting to hear. I don't really know what to break them in with so I've just been pumping some Aphex Twin albums into them. I have to say though - broken in or not, these things plugged into my guitar amp sound amazing.

Are 320kbps MP3s a good enough source for these headphones? Or should I start heading for .wav files?

Well ripped 320 kbps mp3's are fine. By a receiver, I meant an older "vintage" two channel stereo with a headphone jack. I figured it was a cheap and easy way to see if your current source isn't putting out enough current to satisfy the Grados.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 23
I have the 225s and absolutely love them. As you can see in my sig I run mine through the Gilmore Lite, which adds some good punchy bass. I listen to mostly Metal though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- You can also try Senn 414 pads or flat pads on the 225's.

The only thing that bothers me a little are the pads. Any recommendation of where to purchase these pads? Also, are they easy to replace on the 225s?

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 23
I listen to metal mostly too. At this point, I can afford the X-Fi Forte 7.1 (which can amp at home) and the PA2v2 amp. Would I bet set for a long time if I get these? How expensive is the Gilmore Lite?

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 23
You can find the Gilmore Lite used typically for around $225-$250. New I believe they are going for $400 now though. What is your budget?

You could always skip the sound card and get something like the Compass. You can hook that up via USB and bypass the sound card while getting a DAC and Amp all in one! Then if you want to upgrade down the line to new cans you already have something that can drive them without a problem. Also if you wanted to upgrade your DAC, Soundcard, or Amp, you can use the Compass in "Super" mode, which allows you to use either the DAC or Amp. With Shipping you are looking around $350 for that baby.

EDIT: I guess the Compass isn't very portable, and neither is the Gilmore for that matter. If you need portable, have you looked into a Mini^3 or the HeadRoom amps? I have a BitHead for sale that worked great with my Grados. Check my sig.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 23
Actually, I realized portability probably isn't the most important thing. I took my SR225s to school today and I was too conscious about them - so I think I'll leave them home. I have fear a liquid or something else getting into the grills (I wear them around my neck) - and if I put them in my backpack someone will step on my backpack by accident. And it sounds more than decent coming out of the Zen. But as is at the moment, I still feel a little something is missing.

Or maybe I'm just anal about everything. Earlier today a particular bassline in a song was causing the SR225's left speaker to "rattle", but it's like a minuscule pebble fell into them or something because I listened to it again and it sounded fine. For half a second, I thought I wasted my money.

My budget at the moment is $200. I'm highly considering the X-Fi Forte 7.1 because I like listening to music through my speakers - and additionally they have a built in amp. I've used an X-Fi XtremeGamer and I've been very satisfied so I think the jump would be worth it.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Actually, I realized portability probably isn't the most important thing. I took my SR225s to school today and I was too conscious about them - so I think I'll leave them home. I have fear a liquid or something else getting into the grills (I wear them around my neck) - and if I put them in my backpack someone will step on my backpack by accident. And it sounds more than decent coming out of the Zen. But as is at the moment, I still feel a little something is missing.

Or maybe I'm just anal about everything. Earlier today a particular bassline in a song was causing the SR225's left speaker to "rattle", but it's like a minuscule pebble fell into them or something because I listened to it again and it sounded fine. For half a second, I thought I wasted my money.

Yes, I wouldn't consider my SR80 portable -- too big and too expensive (even moreso the SR225) to lug around for idots to pull off my head, etc.

About the rattle, you will notice that there is only a very thin sheath of fabric covering they driver holes. Many people get a hair stuck into or thru that fabric, rubbing against the driver, causing a rattle sound. Check to make sure you don't have hair stuck in the fabric, and that when you put the phones on, you sort of push your hair aside so that some doesn't poke thru the fabric while you have them on.

Also, many people would say the SR225 needs at least 100-150 hours burn-in before the drivers loosen up and the sound smooths out and they start sounding like $200 headphones. Just plug 'em in and leave them for a couple of days playing straight.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 23
You wore your 225's in public? I thought I was the only one brave enough to do that!

I had used my 225's to listen to classical/jazz/acoustic and they were fine but they really perform for rock, especially with high quality tunes (wav/flac/high bit mp3). I only listened with a high quality portable amp (HR micro or d10) so I don't know how they are to drive without them, with them they work great.

The rattle/buzz can be hair, it happens to me also. I've had rattles that made me take apart the two sides of the plastic housing to fix (there are a few thread/sites that talk about how to do this). I also had a cable problem once (my fault) that I didn't feel comfortable about fixing and Grado fixed them for cheap.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

...I'm not audiophile in the least - this is my first quality headphone - but I find the bass a bit lacking. Perhaps this is resolved with burn-in or something, but I also heard these headphones benefit from an amp. I've heard that it doesn't need much of an amp to get the boost they can get and I've overheard that the PA2v2 would do the job.

Is it worth the cash to pick one up? I'm using these headphones at home and on the go - but maybe instead I should save up for an X-Fi Prelude. I know it's a soundcard and doesn't benefit me on the go, but it certainly might be more than worth it at home.

I was in your exact position. I picked up the SR225i headphones and found the bass lacking. Tried them with my PA2V2 and it got a little better, but still not where I wanted them.

They are great sounding cans, but the fact is the bass is lacking. So lucky for me the store where I got them allowed me to upgrade them after 3 weeks. So I picked up the SR325is headphones and WOW... the bass is NOT lacking any more. And the mids and highs are even better.

So that's my story.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #15 of 23
If I return my SR225i headphones, there's a 15% restocking fee. Kind of lame. It's extremely temping to get the SR325is. But jesus, $100 more? I'd have to really think about it. But it's oh-so-tempting.

Oh, and the rattle was hair! Thanks about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back