Just picked up Beyerdynamics DT-770 Pro 250ohm, Where are the mids???
Feb 25, 2015 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

silverbluenote

New Head-Fier
Just got the cans today. I picked the 770 because I needed closed cans for work and I've read that they have the closest sound to open headphones.
They're connected to my computer via  Aune T1 MK2 Amp/DAC. 
The mids sound so poor. The Bass is okay and the highs are fine but I the vocals sound muffled and weak. very non-exciting listening experience. I don't think anything is wrong with them. I think this is how they sound.
Maybe my expectation of closed cans are too high? I have two other pairs of cans: Senn HD-600 (which are awesome) and V-Moda Crossfade M-100 which are too boomy and  I wanted to replace them with these 770.

Am I doing something wrong? maybe this amp can't drive them properly? (it does a fine job with the HD-600). maybe I should replace the Beyers with some other cans?

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 19
The DT770 have a U shaped sound (stronger bass/treble).
That is why I use to prefer my ATH-A900xs, over the DT770s.

Who do you have the Aune connected to the computer? (USB or RCA).

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 19
Are you running them on high gain? That dramatically improved the mids and smoothed out the treble on my pair, albeit the 32 ohm version. I will say though that yes they are definitely u-shaped and you won't get the lush mids you are used to from the HD600. I learned to appreciate the signature of the DT770 in it's own right and I still think it's a great headphone. I was getting ready to sell them but then tried running on high gain and they really came to life.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 19
Are you running them on high gain? That dramatically improved the mids and smoothed out the treble on my pair, albeit the 32 ohm version. I will say though that yes they are definitely u-shaped and you won't get the lush mids you are used to from the HD600. I learned to appreciate the signature of the DT770 in it's own right and I still think it's a great headphone. I was getting ready to sell them but then tried running on high gain and they really came to life.

I've never touched the gain settings at the bottom of the Aune and I don't quite understand them. What should I set the switches to?

EDIT: Okay, just figured this out. it was set to high gain (16db) already. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 19
  Just got the cans today. I picked the 770 because I needed closed cans for work and I've read that they have the closest sound to open headphones.
They're connected to my computer via  Aune T1 MK2 Amp/DAC. 
The mids sound so poor. The Bass is okay and the highs are fine but I the vocals sound muffled and weak. very non-exciting listening experience. I don't think anything is wrong with them. I think this is how they sound.
Maybe my expectation of closed cans are too high? I have two other pairs of cans: Senn HD-600 (which are awesome) and V-Moda Crossfade M-100 which are too boomy and  I wanted to replace them with these 770.

Am I doing something wrong? maybe this amp can't drive them properly? (it does a fine job with the HD-600). maybe I should replace the Beyers with some other cans?

Hey, you should consider:

-Shure SRH-940 (brighter than HD600)

-Mr Speakers Mad Dog (darker than HD600)

Best Luck!   

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 19
To the OP - I found exactly the same with the DT770 - mids are recessed to the point of making me wonder where if there's something wrong with the cans.  Only after quite some time did I get more used to the lack of projection, but in the end it is something I just can't live with, so am looking at other sets of closed-back cans.  Wanting to demo a set of T5P but obviously in a totally different price bracket to the 770.... 

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 19
The DT770 has always had a strongly pronounced U curve.  a lot of the midrange areas are severely recessed (3-6khz).  It makes a lot of instrumentation sound thin and lacking body/resonance IMHO.  I sold them within a month or so after getting an MS2, HD580, and HD600.

Compare the FR graphs below...
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 19
  To the OP - I found exactly the same with the DT770 - mids are recessed to the point of making me wonder where if there's something wrong with the cans.  Only after quite some time did I get more used to the lack of projection, but in the end it is something I just can't live with, so am looking at other sets of closed-back cans.  Wanting to demo a set of T5P but obviously in a totally different price bracket to the 770.... 

I'm willing to step out of that price bracket if I get something that gives my ears the same thrill I get from the HD-600. heard good things about Shure 1540 or Audeze EL-8 Closed back but I haven't listened to them yet.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 19

What about Shure 1540?

Big bass, slightly u-shaped. Here you can compare some measurements:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH940.pdf
www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1540.pdf

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 19
I'm willing to step out of that price bracket if I get something that gives my ears the same thrill I get from the HD-600. heard good things about Shure 1540 or Audeze EL-8 Closed back but I haven't listened to them yet.

I also really like the Soundmagic HP150. It's about the same price as the Beyer 770 but it's much more balanced. Mids are fully there- no u-shape.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 19

No they aren't. K550 (or K551) would have been a better choice if that was your goal.

As already mentioned, they are a v-shaped headphone with good bit of bass emphasis and some treble emphasis. So for something to be emphasized, something else has to be less. You just got the wrong sound signature for you :)

I think you might be a good candidate for the Soundmagic HP150 in the ~$200 range. Soundstage is not huge, but it has some bass and treble emphasis, but not nearly as much as DT770. The A900X that PurpleAngel recommended are good, too (I just prefer the HP150s). For biggest soundstage in that headphone range, K550/K551.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back