Just picked up a Schiit Modi + Vali + AKG Q701 + Senn HD598
Dec 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

atoff

Head-Fier
Okay, so I made a thread previously regarding which DAC to pick up.  I wanted something with optical in, so I could use it with my PS4 and U-Verse receiver. 
Only received 1 reply, but while shopping around and reading reading reading, I decided I'd remedy my indecision by throwing money at it, and just buying stuff!!
So, although the HD598's I ordered still haven't arrived, I decided to also order the Q701's to compare with.  And although I wanted optical in, I thought I'd order the Modi + Vali combo, and see if that worked with my PS4 and receiver.  

Question is, I'm still unsure if that was a good choice, considering that my main use will be for watching movies from my PC, watching TV, and playing games on the PS4.  From scouring the forums, I've seen posts mentioning that the modi is good for music, but that there would be better options out there for movies / tv / and games, since apparently it's 2 ch only, whereas with optical I'd be taking advantage of the sound card and yada yada.   I'm not well versed in the technical side of the audio world yet. 

So, without spending more money... would there be a better option than the Modi for Movies and Games while staying at the Modi's price point??

Please help, I don't have very many days until I can return the unit.  I think I'd like to keep the Vali however, since I've read so many good things.  

I did take a look at the Audioengine D1, however, the reviews just seemed to lack enthusiasm.  Seems like a stale dac / amp.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 15
  Okay, so I made a thread previously regarding which DAC to pick up.  I wanted something with optical in, so I could use it with my PS4 and U-Verse receiver. 
Only received 1 reply, but while shopping around and reading reading reading, I decided I'd remedy my indecision by throwing money at it, and just buying stuff!!
So, although the HD598's I ordered still haven't arrived, I decided to also order the Q701's to compare with.  And although I wanted optical in, I thought I'd order the Modi + Vali combo, and see if that worked with my PS4 and receiver.  

Question is, I'm still unsure if that was a good choice, considering that my main use will be for watching movies from my PC, watching TV, and playing games on the PS4.  From scouring the forums, I've seen posts mentioning that the modi is good for music, but that there would be better options out there for movies / tv / and games, since apparently it's 2 ch only, whereas with optical I'd be taking advantage of the sound card and yada yada.   I'm not well versed in the technical side of the audio world yet. 

So, without spending more money... would there be a better option than the Modi for Movies and Games while staying at the Modi's price point??

Please help, I don't have very many days until I can return the unit.  I think I'd like to keep the Vali however, since I've read so many good things.  

I did take a look at the Audioengine D1, however, the reviews just seemed to lack enthusiasm.  Seems like a stale dac / amp.

Can the USB Modi even be connected to the PS4, I would assume the PS4 uses optical out for audio, not USB.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 15
  Can the USB Modi even be connected to the PS4, I would assume the PS4 uses optical out for audio, not USB.

I'm not sure, to be honest.  I read a post from someone who said he used a Fiio with USB to his PS4, but I doubt it's the case.  More than likely he was confused, and connected it through optical.  I just couldn't find a DAC that was in the same price range and yet delivered.  I want an epic sound when gaming.  Do I want virtual surround for that?  I'm trying to eek out the best audio quality I can while getting a theatre experience, and immersive gaming.  I probably shouldn't have gotten the Modi, but everything else seemed so lacking.  Is the Mixamp really the best solution here?   What about with movies?  Is there a DAC that would give me that theatre experience? 

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 15
Wow, so the Modi does in fact work with the PS4... of course you're only getting 2 channel, so no immersive virtual surround.  Just received my Modi + Vali combo a couple of hours ago.  Not too impressed with the audio quality using standard headphones.   The AKG's I'll have tomorrow (Sunday), and the Sennheisers I'll have on Monday to test with.  I really feel like I should have gotten a DAC with optical.  Still need advice as to which to go with for the best gaming and movie experience.   The Vali produces a whole lot of hiss!!   it's a little annoying, but not at all noticeable when listening to music.  The ringing goes away in seconds... so not really an issue. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 15
  Wow, so the Modi does in fact work with the PS4... of course you're only getting 2 channel, so no immersive virtual surround.  Just received my Modi + Vali combo a couple of hours ago.  Not too impressed with the audio quality using standard headphones.   The AKG's I'll have tomorrow (Sunday), and the Sennheisers I'll have on Monday to test with.  I really feel like I should have gotten a DAC with optical.  Still need advice as to which to go with for the best gaming and movie experience.   The Vali produces a whole lot of hiss!!   it's a little annoying, but not at all noticeable when listening to music.  The ringing goes away in seconds... so not really an issue. 

cool! glad it worked out!

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 15
  cool! glad it worked out!

Well, it did work, but not ideally... I think I'd still like a DAC with optical for the virtual surround.  But cool that it works all the same.  What's interesting about the PS4 is that you can connect headphones to your controller, and the audio quality is actually quite good.  So in reality, I could have just gone with the Vali alone, and plugged the controller's jack into the vali with a stereo to rca cable. 

Having a bit of buyers remorse on the Modi... though I didn't notice until now that Schiit's 15 day return policy requires a 15% restocking fee for the Modi! Wonderful how they put that in the fine print and have the 15-day satisfaction garbage in super large print on every page.  So after return shipping and 15% I don't think it would be worth returning.  I'd be out about $20-25 on a $100 product. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 15

Well, it did work, but not ideally... I think I'd still like a DAC with optical for the virtual surround.  But cool that it works all the same.  What's interesting about the PS4 is that you can connect headphones to your controller, and the audio quality is actually quite good.  So in reality, I could have just gone with the Vali alone, and plugged the controller's jack into the vali with a stereo to rca cable. 

Having a bit of buyers remorse on the Modi... though I didn't notice until now that Schiit's 15 day return policy requires a 15% restocking fee for the Modi! Wonderful how they put that in the fine print and have the 15-day satisfaction garbage in super large print on every page.  So after return shipping and 15% I don't think it would be worth returning.  I'd be out about $20-25 on a $100 product

i would just hook the ps4 to a home theatre receiver - and use the headphone jack off the receiver.

that's better than having a 99 dollar paperweight you weren't gonna use - or just keep it and use it.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 15

I'm not sure, to be honest.  I read a post from someone who said he used a Fiio with USB to his PS4, but I doubt it's the case.  More than likely he was confused, and connected it through optical.  I just couldn't find a DAC that was in the same price range and yet delivered.  I want an epic sound when gaming.  Do I want virtual surround for that?  I'm trying to eek out the best audio quality I can while getting a theatre experience, and immersive gaming.  I probably shouldn't have gotten the Modi, but everything else seemed so lacking.  Is the Mixamp really the best solution here?   What about with movies?  Is there a DAC that would give me that theatre experience? 

I'd go with the Schiit Bifrost; it has optical, and can also have USB for an additional charge.  It should meet all of your cirtieria.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 15
How do you like the Akg's with the vali? I have the headphones and am looking for what kind of amp to buy. I have a little e10 at the moment. Also, I wouldnt expect much from the akg's at first. Mine sounded better out of my computer when I first bought them. I know im a bit late coming in to the conversation. Your description will be very helpful

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 15
  How do you like the Akg's with the vali? I have the headphones and am looking for what kind of amp to buy. I have a little e10 at the moment. Also, I wouldnt expect much from the akg's at first. Mine sounded better out of my computer when I first bought them. I know im a bit late coming in to the conversation. Your description will be very helpful

Well, my Modi / Vali combo sits here unused as masterwu predicted, but it's solely because I want surround sound, and for that I'm connected directly to a Soundblaster Z.  The Modi / Vali sound great though.  I upgraded from the Q701 to the K712, but they both sound great through the setup.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 15
Well, my Modi / Vali combo sits here unused as masterwu predicted, but it's solely because I want surround sound, and for that I'm connected directly to a Soundblaster Z.  The Modi / Vali sound great though.  I upgraded from the Q701 to the K712, but they both sound great through the setup.

You want surround sound with stereo headphones?

Use the modi/vali and be happy.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 15
You want surround sound with stereo headphones?

Use the modi/vali and be happy.

Way to resurrect a year old thread to post that.  Do you often like telling people what they should and shouldn't like? 

I've actually been getting really nice surround sound using a DSS with stereo headphones (K712).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back