Just picked up a pair of ATH-M50x HP
Feb 12, 2016 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

12many

100+ Head-Fier
I just started listing about 1/2 hour ago after letting them play on their own for about an hour.  Got them at lunch on sale for $150. 

I would say they are safe. I don't find much annoying about them.  Treble is not bothersome.  Bass is present and a bit strong but that is ok for the volume I listen to because at low volume the bass needs a bit of a boost.  Might be too much though.  Not sure yet.  The mids are fine I guess.  Nothing to get real excited about though.  Build quality seems good.  The sound stage seems a bit closed in and not very wide.

This is one of my first pair of closed HP and I am not sure I like it.  It is very quite and I can not hear my typing, which is a bit odd, like I have shooting or work muffs on.  And my ears are getting hot.  I think I like open headphones better.   The comfort is not bad but could be a bit looser and the ear pads could be bigger, but I have a big head so these would be ok for others.   

Not sure if I will keep them.  Will give them more time.  Might keep them just to have a closed back pair.  There is nothing glaringly wrong with them.    I was looking at the open back K701Q which I read are the same as the K701 which cost more.  Or they had the K553 for about the same price, but those are closed too.  I am going to compare these to my HD598 next over the weekend. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 2
Need more comfort and a more open sound than the HD598? Check out the Philips SHP9500 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back