Just pick speakers from this list.
Sep 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Anax

New Head-Fier
Heh I get ignored when I go into depth with something . Basically I want new speakers for my computer for gaming + chamber music + jazz .

AudioEngine A2
AudioEngine A5
Bluesky Exo
Genelec 3010a
Axiom Audiobytes
Dynaudio's MC-15's are over priced so are the amphion ions or whatever so thats a no .

or Other

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 13
not to be entirely not following the rules or anything:
NS-777

I love mine, honestly wasn't expecting this level of sound quality (or build quality) for the price (about $50 more than the A5's, check newegg), and I've just been blown away

they're not B&W 800 series, but they're easily better than the Mirage OMNI's, cheaper Klipsch RF, Polk Monitor, Bose whatever, and so on that I spent the better part of last summer driving all over creation to audition

Newegg.com - YAMAHA NS777 Single Three-Way/Four-Driver Bass Reflex Speaker

granted, they are large, and require an amplifier, etc

if they've gotta be active monitors, I like Mackie's active monitors (compared to Yamaha, Genelec, M-Audio, etc) but they're probably a tad over $400

Mackie - Studio Monitors

second to those, I'd probably put the Yamaha active monitors (they're a bit bright for some, but it isn't like screeching)

aside from that, you might look for B&W's 600 series bookshelves (used of course) on audiogon or similar, as they're pretty decent sounding as I recall (haven't heard a pair in ages though), theres also Vienna Acoustics' bookshelf offering (forget what its called, check Best Buy) which is very clean sounding, probably costs about $800 though

and I know Klipsch has some new bookshelves out, Icon or something like that (not the Palladiums), that might fight into your price range, been meaning to try a pair out

and finally, Mirage's nanosat line is pretty nice, as long as you're ok with a sub or two in the system as well

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 13
Ignoring your list completely, I'd recommend Quad active 11L or 12L speakers. I have the active 12L and adore them. There is a fellow, lanemart on Ebay who sells them from time to time. Simply excellent fellow to deal with.

The powered Quads are really cool. I'm not sure of your price point, but we're talking around 400 to 600 bucks depending on the model. One can find the non-actives as well.

Cheers!

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 13
I managed to end up here twice so I've deleted what you'll see in the next post.
Paradigm speakers made an active that was pretty good, but pricey.

With a modest amp, you could pretty much run with oodles of bookshelf spekaers. I think Athena speakers are pretty reasonable (c.f., AudioAdvisor) and for the money are fantastic. PSB, BIC, Klipsch, Mission, Energy, B&W, all have decent speakers at entry level prices. If you have an old receiver or integrated amp lying around....you might just check out regular speakers.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 13
obobskivich,

I had to go Ebay on my active 12L's ($550 or so plus about 50 shipping).
I'm thrilled by their sound. I wasn't able to previw them, but I know a reviewer (TNT) who wrote a fine review on the 11L and 12L regulars. Having heard the 10L (and I really liked them) a few years ago, I took the risk. I'm glad I did. It's kind of cool to have a pair of speakers (piano black lacquer, 7 coats, 24 hrs. between each) that come in cotten bags with cotton gloves so I can handle them and not smudge the finish).

Quad has a good reputation. If I had a lot of lolly, I'd run with Quad amp, preamp, cd player, and electrostatic speakers. Since I don't have a lot dough, I run with the active 12L's, Adcom preamp (565), Philiips cd player (LHH1000--tres rare), Sony SACD/DVD/cd player (really fine--choose to run with sacd over dvd). The Quads remind me of Harbeth PL-3s. That is a high recommendation.

Audiogon also has pairs for sale from time to time.

The A5's are pretty decent re: price. I see that I've gone above the price point. Hmmmm....I still like Quads, but on a budget, the A5's sound terrific.

Cheers!

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 13
yeah, my NS-777's have a finish like that, and that'd probably explain all those white cloths and stuff I threw away (and why theres now fingerprints all over them...)

yeah, you just made me feel stupid for not realizing that that cloth/foamy stuff was for handling the speakers, lol

no idea if Yamaha really took it as far as 24 hrs between each coat, but its a mirror on all sides

idk, I don't need speakers anymore, those just looked very interesting, since they seem to be active, but hi-fi, instead of bloody studio monitors

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 13
obobskivich,

I used to have a black laquer dining room set. Would have matched my Quads beautifully. The dining room set was fingerprint heaven. All who entered the room should have had to wear white cotten gloves.

We sold the dining room set to a friend who really loved it and had a better space for it. We went back to oak and pine. However, I'm not parting with my Quads. And, yes, they are hi-fi (and don't have that dry, deadly accurate studio monitor sound), but are pretty darn revealing with a little coloration (just enough to render sounds palatable).

The blue lights on the Quads are somewhat too bright in a darkened room and now I wear sun glasses when I turn the lights off and groove to the tunes.

Cheers!

Sep 18, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
obobskivich,

I used to have a black laquer dining room set. Would have matched my Quads beautifully. The dining room set was fingerprint heaven. All who entered the room should have had to wear white cotten gloves.

We sold the dining room set to a friend who really loved it and had a better space for it. We went back to oak and pine. However, I'm not parting with my Quads. And, yes, they are hi-fi (and don't have that dry, deadly accurate studio monitor sound), but are pretty darn revealing with a little coloration (just enough to render sounds palatable).

The blue lights on the Quads are somewhat too bright in a darkened room and now I wear sun glasses when I turn the lights off and groove to the tunes.

Cheers!

Yeah actually I was watching this thats why I did not buy the a5's off the bat . Quad 12L Active Bookshelf Speakers / Studio Monitors - eBay (item 160282456951 end time Sep-17-08 19:00:00 PDT)
I liked the looks of the quads better that was my only reasoning . I do not like the off color on the a5's rings or whatever you call them around the tweeter and woofer . I have a thing for solid color polished , then the speakers in place with no trim or anything.

I set mine to 550 and it went over that a bit ( a little over 600 plus shipping if someone does not feel like clicking ) Personally i do not think I am going to be able to tell the different between my a5's and those just because besides "HT" I never really had a good stereo setup for music .

I also am getting the AS8 sub next week , I know there are decent subs out there maybe even for cheaper but it seems like No one has tested the as8 really as I was trying to find reviews on it . Guess I will find out .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back