Just performed an imcomplete phatpad mod
Oct 9, 2007 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DSlayerZX

500+ Head-Fier
Anyway, recently got a W5000, I was really enjoying it, but the excitement ended in just one day. Yes, it has a good fit, yes, it sounds great, but... MY EAR HURTS
plainface.gif

So I try to do the phatpad mod in order to create more space between the driver and my ear.
blink.gif
but apparently I can't grab rubber tube from a general store in the campus. (duh....)

so basically.. it turned out like this.

I can't find the rubber tubing anywhere, don't want to order 10 feet of it online because my bank is already empty after the W5000 purchase.
tongue.gif

I went down stair and grab my vitamin and sudden.. I saw my first aid kit.
blink.gif

I mean.. all I need is something bouncy between the earpad and the driver to "lift" up the space between them right?
blink.gif
so I grab the Gauze Roller bandages (yes... I searched on Google so I can know what is call
frown.gif
)
opened it, cut to the right length, twisted it, and stuff them between the driver and the ear pad.

my first Impression. Wow, it actually does a better job isolating the sound than the original form. The ear pad is much more puffy (my roommate laugh at me for making it looks "fat" ) so I my ear is completely away from the driver.
But everything change when I play the music.
blink.gif

when I start the music. My first thought was... is this really the W5000 that I bought?
confused.gif

because yes, now the high and mid are stuff there. female vocal (Jpop) sound as good as before. but... there is so much bass
basshead.gif

I mean, seriously, I thought it is just because I set the music to a different level or play the wrong music. but it still sounds the same with the change of volume and song. I guess that's what the Gauze Roller bandages does to the sound.

Is this an improvement? I don't know.....to be true, I am not sure. Because from what I can tell... the sound is a little bit distance and muffle (too much bass?)

I encourage the other W5000 owners to try this mod. if you ever think there isn't enough bass... but.. is it an improvement... I can not sure
frown.gif

i mean. yes, my ear feels better. but the sound.. is just... different... very very different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back