Just oredered the AKG1000 w/Stefan AudioArt extension cable ...
May 17, 2003 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ddriveman

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought the AKG1000 from Headroom. Ordered on a Saturday, delivered on following Tuesday. Great service...Headroom.
Am now waiting for the Stefan AudioArt AKG1000 extension cable.
Plan to use this combo with my Opera Cyber 30 integrated amp/headamp.
I have yet to try thic combo as I am now travelling on business. Hopefully, I can start the listening and burn-in next week.

Question:

1) Has anyone tried the Stefan AudioArt extension cable for AKG1000 and what is the comparison to the stock extension cable

2) Is the 3.5W/channel from my Cyber 30 (2A3 tube amp) going to be enough to drive the AKG1000. I hear that the AKG1000 needs 7 watts minimum but then lots of posts have stated that its a good combo with the AudioValve RKV II whihc has only 2W/channel. Any thoughts ?

Lastly, also ordered a Stefan AudioArt Equinox HD600 cable (it was a moment of weakness and impulse. My wallet is still bleeding).
Can now compare the Equinox to the Cardas HD600. Can't wait.

May 17, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 22
Although, I know nothing about this headphone but, the comments here, I have to say I think that you got an excellent phone based on the fact that I've never really heard any bad comments about the phone, congratulations on your purchase.

I hope someone more experienced can help you with your questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 22
that 7 watts is at about 8 ohms. the K1000 is closer to 120 ohms. and it really needs about 1 to 2 watts at 120 ohms. for solid state amps, that would work out to about 25 watts @ ohms per channel.

the problem for you will be that tube amp. there's a very long thread on compatible amps for the K1000 in the amp section. the RKV is probably rated 2 watts @ 120 ohms.

as to the cable, anything will be better than the stock extension cable. since I don't use an extension cable, i just wired 4" x 4 speaker copper wire directly to my amp (via a neutrik 4 pin XLR connector).

May 17, 2003 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 22
The Equinox is a vast improvement over the stock cable. Overall sound across the range becomes more coherent, and the highs are tamed a bit. You've made a very worthwhile purchase; let us know what you think about them after you've had a chance to listen.

May 17, 2003 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 22
I'm also waiting for my Equinox cable for my K1000's. I'll look forward to hearing your opinions, and I will post mine. Hopefully I'll have it in a week or so (the ship date was a month or more after the order date - apparently they are doing very well).

May 17, 2003 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 22
Congrats on your purchase. I auditioned many headphones and finally settled on the K1000s...they are as good as I have ever heard. (have not heard Sony R10s, Senn Orpheus or any Stax or Grados)

I have had the Equinox cable for about a week now and I agree with all the other comments that it does transform an already superb headphone into a magical instrument.
smily_headphones1.gif

I now look forward to my listening sessions as special events.

John

May 17, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 22
One thing to note--these cables need a fair amount of burn-in. Don't make any judgements until you've burned them in for at least 60-80 hours.

May 17, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 22
I am a day or two away from sending away my payment for some K1000's.

BTW, John, how much power does the nOrh SE9 have in reserve when driving the K1000?

All this talk about watts per channel, and impedances has got me thinking.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
I am a day or two away from sending away my payment for some K1000's.

BTW, John, how much power does the nOrh SE9 have in reserve when driving the K1000?

All this talk about watts per channel, and impedances has got me thinking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm....I'm not a techie so I'm not sure if this is the type of answer you need. I have two sources connected to the nOrh. I find that when listening to CDs on the Philips via the nOrh/K1000 combo I have the volume dial set at about 11 o'clock...when playing LPs on the Music Hall I have the volume dial set at about 1 o'clock. So, for both applications, there seems to be plenty of power in reserve.

John

May 17, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Hmmm....I'm not a techie so I'm not sure if this is the type of answer you need. I have two sources connected to the nOrh. I find that when listening to CDs on the Philips via the nOrh/K1000 combo I have the volume dial set at about 11 o'clock...when playing LPs on the Music Hall I have the volume dial set at about 1 o'clock. So, for both applications, there seems to be plenty of power in reserve.

John

I agree--when using the nOrh/AKG K-1000/Philips 963SA combo I have the volume dial set anywhere from 8-11 o'clock. From that perspective there is plenty of power. And the sound is amazing. . . .

May 17, 2003 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 22
As as has been stated many times, the RKV/AKG K1000 combo is very synergistic. There is more than enough power to drive them to ear bleeding volume. Most of the time, the volume knob is around 10 o'clock.
As for the cable, I do not have the Equinox, but I am definitely curious about its use with the RKV. I have a cable built by aeberbach, which was patterned after Orpheus' cable. With the RKV, I prefer the stock cable, as it provides more detail. The high end is not bright at all, and everything is in balance. The sense of space is stunning, easily the best I've ever heard, even better (to my ears) than the R10. Right now, I'm listening to Allison Krause, and I can hear her inhale quite clearly before she sings a note. Nothing is hidden or glossed over with these 'phones. I love it!
The custom cable, on the other hand, does bring up the bass a bit, but at the expense of detail. It's much warmer sounding than the stock cable. I'm a details man, though, so the stock cable it is.
Has anybody compared the Equinox to the Orpheus cable?
confused.gif

May 17, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Has anybody compared the Equinox to the Orpheus cable?
confused.gif

I think Frank is bringing the Orpheus he just got from me to the meet at Grados...so you may get to do that first hand
smily_headphones1.gif

John

May 17, 2003 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
I think Frank is bringing the Orpheus he just got from me to the meet at Grados...so you may get to do that first hand
smily_headphones1.gif

John

Unfortunately, I won't be in attendance today.........a lot of stuff came up.
mad.gif

Hopefully, someone will compare the two.

May 19, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
that 7 watts is at about 8 ohms. the K1000 is closer to 120 ohms. and it really needs about 1 to 2 watts at 120 ohms. for solid state amps, that would work out to about 25 watts @ ohms per channel.

the problem for you will be that tube amp. there's a very long thread on compatible amps for the K1000 in the amp section. the RKV is probably rated 2 watts @ 120 ohms.

as to the cable, anything will be better than the stock extension cable. since I don't use an extension cable, i just wired 4" x 4 speaker copper wire directly to my amp (via a neutrik 4 pin XLR connector).

Wallijohn,

Thanks for your info. Hmm, so we need min 1W @ 120 ohm. How does 3.5W@ 8 ohm translate to 120 ohm. From my calculations, assuming voltage stays constant, I think I get 0.23W (?!). Oops ! Looks like the amo may be too low powered (?). Anyway, we will know when I get back and try it. And I really like my Cyber 30 (actaully I think its more like I like the direct heated SET 2A3 tube sound)

Question:

Has anyone tried 2A3 SET tube amps with the AKG K1000 ?

May 24, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 22
Well, I'm back home and just hooked up the AKG K1000 with stock extension cables (Stefan AudioArt cables not due till mid-June).
Thankfully, my Cyber 30 tube amp is able to drive the K1000 to reasonable listening levels. Confortable listening level starts at around 12 o'clock and gets too loud around 3 o'clock. This is with the driver pads folded fully towards my ears. If I open the drivers pads out, then I need to raise the volume a little. So, a little more amplifier headroom would be preferable.
Anyway, point to note is that SET tubes like the 2A3 (around 3.5 watts @ 8 ohms) and the 45 (about 2 watts @ 8 ohms) are a little underpowered to fully drive the K1000.

Well, how does it sound ?

I like the spacious soundstage. Sound is very detailed. At this moment I would say that it is too bright for my ears. Hopefully, burn-in would help and the Stefan AudioArt cables would also tame the highs. Bass is light (compared to HD600 w/Cardas) but detailed.

Will post more listening imperessions after burn-in and Stefan AudioArt cables arrive.

Question for AKG K1000 users:

What is your preferred driver pad position - folded towards the ears or opened ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back