Just ordered UE18s, but am considering upgrading my curent PMP (160gb iPod classic 7th gen, 2009)
Aug 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ScorchedIcee

New Head-Fier
As of right now I am using the 7th gen (the 2009 version) ipod classic 160GB, with the *shivers* included earbuds (couldn't afford anything better until recently). I decided to go for the UE 18s, as I was told they were the best IEMs ever.

Now I realized tonight that the ipod might not even be able to output a good enough SQ to satisfy my 'golden ears' (which have saddly been damaged over the years, but are still better than anyone elses ears I know).  I am looking for a high storage capacity (willing to upgrade with a microSDHC) PMP, but I also want the best quality... I have no problem with swapping out microSDHC cards if that accomplishs the high capacity I desire.

I am ill experienced in the world of audiophiles, as I just stumbled upon this forum.  Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi there, welcome to headfi :)

Since you already own an ipod, you could consider getting a good Lineout-dock-cable aka LOD and a good amp.

The ipod SQ through the lineout(bottom) is certainly good but not the best. Getting an amp and a LOD will improve the sound alot especially since you're using the UE18 which require a modest amp to drive its potential.

Hope this helps :)

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Hi there, welcome to headfi :)

Since you already own an ipod, you could consider getting a good Lineout-dock-cable aka LOD and a good amp.

The ipod SQ through the lineout(bottom) is certainly good but not the best. Getting an amp and a LOD will improve the sound alot especially since you're using the UE18 which require a modest amp to drive its potential.

Hope this helps :)

Without the amp, would I hear a 'hiss'?  (also could somebody explain what that is... or point me towards a glossary?)

EDIT 1: I was also thinking about an Elite TWag replacement cable too... but I am unsure if it would be worth the money.

EDIT 2:  If Logitech lets me, should I change my order to the new in-ear reference monitors?  Or are UE18s better?

EDIT 3: Can I rockbox my 7th gen?  Would this increase my SQ?

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

Nope.

Also Im curious to know why you went with UE?

I went with the UE18s because I was told by a good friend that when it comes to earbuds, the UE18 IEMs are the best SQ.

Also, I did just rockbox my old 4th gen 20GB... fiddling around with it now... if only I knew the mAh of the battery....

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I went with the UE18s because I was told by a good friend that when it comes to earbuds, the UE18 IEMs are the best SQ.

I would do my own research before lumping out such a large amount of money.
Consider this. Jerry Harvey who established UE sold it and founded JH Audio which now makes the JH-16 and JH-16. In recent months (6+) I've heard  never ending praise towards these two high end monitors (and the rest of the JH line) but not much about UE for quite some time.

So yeah sorry to rain on your parade.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 12
I recently got the UE11 which I have been really enjoying.  I just got the Elite TWAG replacement cable on Saturday and wow am I happy.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Consider this. Jerry Harvey who established UE sold it and founded JH Audio which now makes the JH-16 and JH-16. In recent months (6+) I've heard  never ending praise towards these two high end monitors (and the rest of the JH line) but not much about UE for quite some time.

Vide the progeny of the unlikely union of UE and Capitol Records as covered by Jude. I feel the winds are shifting, but briefly.

I personally can't wait for my JH5's to arrive.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 12
     Quote:

Thanks a lot for that... So happy I did not send in the molds yet 
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Ha I'm glad you didn't blow up in my face. I suggest you look into it more, that's all. Either way I'm sure you'll be super happy with them!
ksc75smile.gif

Ha, I appreciated your feedback.  I'm glad you pointed me to JHA, otherwise I would have been dissapointed sometime down the road.

Now when I get around to replacing my MP3 player, I am looking for something that can do the following

- Have large capacity (or swappable / expanable memory)
 - Play FLAC
 - Usable.
 - Fit in my pocket
 - Connect to a car

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back