Just ordered the UE SF3.. worst mistake of my life?
Feb 28, 2008 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

LordJezo

New Head-Fier
I have been reading here for quite a while, registered so I could search because I was going so out of my mind that I needed a quicker way to do so.

Anyway, I broke down, ordered some Super.Fi 3 earphones from Buy.com for $50 and now want to know if it is the worst thing I have ever done.

What I will be doing with them:

Cowon D2 and possibly a Sansa Click in the future. I wanted something that I could use to listen to my music, sound better than the $12 Phillips Target special that I am currently using, and keep out a little bit of noise around me. Gym use as well, so I'll be laying down on a bench or putzing along on an exercise bike while listening to some System of a Down or some low bit rate podcast about video games.

Surfing these forums was a blessing and also a curse. I went from having only a couple options to being completely overwhelmed, I had a budget that kept going up and up to the point where I was going to buy something that cost as much as my player, which may be where I end up in a couple of years but I am just starting out, I don't want to go completely overboard now and then have them sit in a closet a few years from now.

The Super.Fi 3's looked like a good mid range product, it's price point was right where I wanted it to be, the reviews and opinions were good for the most part, and I think it will be a nice upgrade to the stock stuff I have in my ears as I write this.

But now comes the buyer's remorse. I know that everyone has their own opinions and will say things like "For the same price you could have bought xxx and they are much better" or "Should have saved your money and bought yyy", but how about something more along the lines of what I am hoping, "Since you are used to the cheapest stuff you can buy these will be a huge improvement for you." In the future I'll upgrade these if everything works out. If I grow used to these then I'll get something better.

I think this I am done ranting for now.

tl;dr: Bought Super.Fi 3s for $50 at buy.com to power a Cowon D2. Will they sound better than whatever is cheapest at Target?

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been reading here for quite a while, registered so I could search because I was going so out of my mind that I needed a quicker way to do so.

Anyway, I broke down, ordered some Super.Fi 3 earphones from Buy.com for $50 and now want to know if it is the worst thing I have ever done.

What I will be doing with them:

Cowon D2 and possibly a Sansa Click in the future. I wanted something that I could use to listen to my music, sound better than the $12 Phillips Target special that I am currently using, and keep out a little bit of noise around me. Gym use as well, so I'll be laying down on a bench or putzing along on an exercise bike while listening to some System of a Down or some low bit rate podcast about video games.

Surfing these forums was a blessing and also a curse. I went from having only a couple options to being completely overwhelmed, I had a budget that kept going up and up to the point where I was going to buy something that cost as much as my player, which may be where I end up in a couple of years but I am just starting out, I don't want to go completely overboard now and then have them sit in a closet a few years from now.

The Super.Fi 3's looked like a good mid range product, it's price point was right where I wanted it to be, the reviews and opinions were good for the most part, and I think it will be a nice upgrade to the stock stuff I have in my ears as I write this.

But now comes the buyer's remorse. I know that everyone has their own opinions and will say things like "For the same price you could have bought xxx and they are much better" or "Should have saved your money and bought yyy", but how about something more along the lines of what I am hoping, "Since you are used to the cheapest stuff you can buy these will be a huge improvement for you." In the future I'll upgrade these if everything works out. If I grow used to these then I'll get something better.

I think this I am done ranting for now.

tl;dr: Bought Super.Fi 3s for $50 at buy.com to power a Cowon D2. Will they sound better than whatever is cheapest at Target?

MUCH. In my experience, the Super.fi 3 easily beats any Marshmallow or Skullcandy-ish buds you'll find at Target. And for $50, that's a pretty good deal. I think you'll be happy with them. Most people I've seen on Head-fi recommend the SF3 as a great starter IEM. So remorse no more, at least not until you've tried it.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 27
So long as you don't desire copious amounts of bass you'll be satisfied.

I purchased my SF 3's roughly 3-4 months ago and had a similar case of buyers remorse directly after.

3 months after the fact, the SF 3's are constantly plugged into my X5 unless I'm at home using ATH-A700's.

Yes, I have had the itch to upgrade to the 5's already but believe me they're leaps and bounds above any basic earbud, and even if the bass is too lean Cowon's JetEffect can help you out without adversely affecting the quality of the music.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 27
Personally I love the super.fi3. It's a great little IEM, and the FS Mod makes the seal and the sound even better. I paid $75 for mine about two years ago and I still love them.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 27
Worst mistake of your life?
eek.gif

C'mon, you've made worse.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 27
For $50 bones. Dude c'mon. I mean that like a tank of gas. Just drive less for this month and you'll be even.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But now comes the buyer's remorse.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worst mistake of your life?
eek.gif

C'mon, you've made worse.

yeah, like coming to head-fi and posting =X, sorry about ur wallet. now THATS the worst mistake of your life. =D

I have the UE SF3 myself, and after a few months, I am upgrading, but i have NO regret whatsoever at getting them, they are a sweet pair of IEMS for a decent price. If I had the choice, at about the same price, I would of STILL chose the SF3s.

When you get ur SF3, and then compare it to ur 12$ target phones and find no difference, then its time for you to stop visiting these forums and getting even higher end audio =P!!! but when i swapped from the classical ibuds ---> E2C ---> SF3, i was overwhelmed with joy and a "difference" in SQ.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 27
If this is the worst mistake of your life..you ain't doing too bad.
I just got my UE 3 so far I really like them. I find them generally comfortable and not fatiguing and when sealed properly I have no problem with the bass at all. I'm not listening to rap, and the bass in jazz and rock seems about right to my ears..especially coming from something as tiny as iems.

Relax...get to know 'em before you get all depressed and remorseful (that would be your biggest mistake) This is fun..enjoy the ride.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 27
I guess my main problem is that when it comes down to blind choices about a product I have never used before I will normally go completely insane, research every possible option for days, go back and forth with decision, then read more things, read all reviews, find every possible discussion about every product..

Then at some point I will just snap, buy something, and hope for the best, which is what happened with this.

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 27
Dude, while this website can be overwhelming, take some advice from the many head-fiers here that have killed their wallets with a dozen+ purchases and counting.

If I had to do it all over again I would have went:

KSC-75 > Super Fi Pro > ER4P AND either Triple Fi or SE530 and been done and saved about a dozen other purchases.

But I did enjoy the journey getting to ER4P and TFP......
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 27
The SF3 is a great value and I feel that it has a great sound. It will pretty much sound better than any IEM that you can pick up at Target. Also, if ordering the SF3 could possibly qualify as being the worst mistake in your life, I am very jealous.

Now, on to listen to the Cubs' first spring training game.

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunkadunka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember, it is only the worst mistake of your life, so far!
biggrin.gif

Stop quoting Homer Simpson, please.

As for the OP: Hell no. Just remember to get used to the seal et al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back