Just Ordered the Hifiman HE-560's-Love My Senn. HD-650 and Hifiman 400i's-Am I Going to Like These the 560's?
Dec 8, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #17 of 30
Disagree completely. Personally I think it's Hifimans worst headphone.

Most people on this forum would probably disagree with you. You should add "IMO" when giving advice for headphones that most people will disagree with you on. Otherwise you can unintentionally mislead others.

Even on thousand dollar systems, the hd650 doesn't reach the speed of a properly driven, good planar, like the 400i and 560.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 30
Most people on this forum would probably disagree with you. You should add "IMO" when giving advice for headphones that most people will disagree with you on. Otherwise you can unintentionally mislead others.

Even on thousand dollar systems, the hd650 doesn't reach the speed of a properly driven, good planar, like the 400i and 560.
+1 or he wasn't driving it properly. When dealing with good headphones every part of the chain is critical. I've owned the 400,400S, &500 & they are nice but can't compete with the 560 in terms of imaging & detail. I own the 650's and I love them, but they can't compete in imaging & detail.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 30
Well, I am new to the forum as I came across this website when I was reviewing what people thought of the Grado GS1000e Headphones that I just received.  When I first received them, I found them to be lacking bass and sparkle compared to the SR325 I purchased nearly 10 years ago.

I was about to send the GS1000e back, but now after breaking them in for about 5 days, and listening to them, which I can do for hours at a time, I find them an excellent set of headphones as it has a signature sound that I am very pleased with.

I am now looking to get another set of headphones to complement that (not sure if you guys have backup headphones, as I sometimes do with audio equipment).

My first great set of headphones came back in 1988.  I believe it was the Sony MDR-V6.  It was a great all-around headphones, then the Grado SR-325 a few years back.  I purchased the GS1000e because I wanted to hear how a reference-standard headphone sounded like. I believe I found what I am looking for, and am now pursuing another reference standard headphones to add to it as a backup or another go-to headphones.

NOw you are asking yourself, how does this relate to the topic at hand???  ANd you are a newbie - so I don't understand your rambling here.

Well, thanks to this forum and doing a lot of research within a matter of just a few days, mainly thanks to this website - there are two things on how this relates.

1 - back in 2005, I purchased a set of Sennheisers headphones.  I cannot remember the model.  I remember it cost $300 and came in a gray ribbed outer casing protecting the box.  Inside the box was the gray-coloured headphones with black velvet protecting it.  It may have been the 650s - cant swear to it though.  I based making the purchase on a former co-worker having either the same exact model or something very similar looking to the model he had.  His headphones sounded awesome.  However, when I tried the headphones, I did not experience the same clarity and sparkle that he had with his headphones.  I listened to them for a while, then sold them off a few months later.  Note that there was a 1 year distance between when I heard his headphones, and when I purchased mine.

I did not gain the same excitement with the Sennheiser Headphones compared to the Grado SR325, and now the GS1000e.

2 - I am thinking about getting the HiFiMan HE560 as a backup reference headphone, despite the fact I never heard of HifiMan until a few days back.  I knew nothing about plannar headphones until just a few days ago, again, thanks to this site.

I am also thinking about the Sony MDR-Z7 as a backup reference.
I am also thinking of auditioning some Audize Headphones in their reference line, but I admit, I may not care to spend the kind of money to purchase those sets of headphones.  And from what I read, they may not be worth it to me.  But I want to audition them anyways.

I contemplated getting one of AKGs reference sound - over-ear headphones, but I decided to get an AKG model that is on-ear as a fun-set of headphones that I can take outside with me.  I love AKGs styling, but based on looks, some of their reference headphones may not look comfortable to wear - as others have reported.

Just think... a few days ago, I never heard or did not know of any of these companies or their headphones (Audize, AKG, Master and Dynamic, HifiMan).  I just received my Grado GS1000e on Saturday.  Thanks to this site, that all changed.  Now I am thinking of getting either a Hifiman, or a Sony to add to the reference collection.  Or maybe I will say - to hell with it and purchase them both.  :wink:

I am mainly interested in purchasing reference headphones which sound amazing, which is easy to drive.  At this time, I do not own a headphone amplifier.  I do not plan on purchasing one anytime soon.

Given my experience with the Sennheiser, contrary to the praises that others say about them, I would not put them on my radar .

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #21 of 30
Most planar headphones except maybe the he-X require a amplifier to achieve their full potential. Even the 400S that I've sold performed much better when driven through an amp. The 560's are fantastic headphones for the price but must be matched with a good source and an amp with a good bit of gain. Violectric amps are designed to drive all headphones and while they don't get much praise around this forum, they are one of my favorite ss amps. Senseless to think about the 560's if your not going to go the full yard and build a system around them.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #22 of 30
Thanks much.

Maybe I will give a headphone amp a shot.  I like PS Audio - I have their GCPH Phono Preamp with mods.  The results are fantastic!!!

If I do go for a headphone amp, I will go Solid State all the way.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #24 of 30
What amps would you recommend?
Any amp from violectric, they are all designed for most headphones. The Gustard h10 has been highly praised also. You probably need an amp that's rated at 1.5 -2watts into 50ohms. If you go to violectric' website and pull up a pdf on any of their amps they explain how they designed their amps. to work with most phones.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 30
Thanks! I will check them out.
There's a lot that's goes into matching an amp with a planar headphone. It's really very interesting stuff and honestly I still don't understand all of it. I've gone through probably 10 amps. Before I researched the violectric amp. Before you buy though I'd strongly suggest reading impression threads and search the web for reviews. It's cost me a bit of money but it's been a wonderful experience and still amazes me how good these headphones can sound. Enjoy

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #27 of 30
I just bought the HE560's during the Black Friday sale as an upgrade to my Grado RS2e's after doing many hours of research. While nice, the Grados were always lacking something... low end, and the highs got fatiguing at times. The HE560 is everything I was looking for. I have them at the office and don't ever want to take them off! I get sad knowing I can't bring them home with me (no amp there). I never felt this way about the Grados and only played them an hour or so a day. I guess you can take this as a glowing recommendation. While I am not familiar with the HD650, I think you will be very pleased with these.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #28 of 30
  I just bought the HE560's during the Black Friday sale as an upgrade to my Grado RS2e's after doing many hours of research. While nice, the Grados were always lacking something... low end, and the highs got fatiguing at times. The HE560 is everything I was looking for. I have them at the office and don't ever want to take them off! I get sad knowing I can't bring them home with me (no amp there). I never felt this way about the Grados and only played them an hour or so a day. I guess you can take this as a glowing recommendation. While I am not familiar with the HD650, I think you will be very pleased with these.

I too purchased the HE-560's on-sale. While I got a bargain, I think I also have a very excellent headphone. To think the sale price almost put me off as I thought perhaps they were not worth their retail price. Boy, was I wrong! They make me smile.

I'm looking forward to a holiday break where I can pour a craft beer, and put my 20,000 AIFF files on shuffle.

So what are you using to drive them? I'm considering an upgrade of my amp. and DAC, But my PS Audio GHCA, and Musical Fidelity M1, though old, seem to work well with them. I'm getting great advice on that topic in these forums. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #29 of 30
I too purchased the HE-560's on-sale. While I got a bargain, I think I also have a very excellent headphone. To think the sale price almost put me off as I thought perhaps they were not worth their retail price. Boy, was I wrong! They make me smile.

I'm looking forward to a holiday break where I can pour a craft beer, and put my 20,000 AIFF files on shuffle.

So what are you using to drive them? I'm considering an upgrade of my amp. and DAC, But my PS Audio GHCA, and Musical Fidelity M1, though old, seem to work well with them. I'm getting great advice on that topic in these forums. 
Amp is violectric hpa v90, with schiit bitfrost multibit. Sound is sublime

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #30 of 30

Now that's a break!

I'm using a Schiit Bifrost Uber and Lyr 2 combo. No complaints!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back