just ordered some Grado 325is..........
Dec 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

100+ Head-Fier
and would like some input on an amp. it seems like alot of people like the little dot's or any tube amps with them, but what im worried about is how hard is it to find the right tubes? it looks like the price of the "good tubes" cost almost as much as the amp.

would something like the fiio sound good? something other than a tube amp? please any advice will help.

thanks

i guess we could say the price needs to be........ $250-$300 or less.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 9
I really like the sound of my 325is out of the Matrix M-Stage.  It fits your budget and is a great amp for the $$. It will also allow you to roll op-amps for lots cheaper than tubes if that suits your fancy.
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Little Dot 1+....it's like it was made for Grados. You will probably need to roll tubes but they can be as little as $10 a pair up to, well, a lot more. I think I paid $50 for my GA-408A's 2 years ago, but the consensus is they are about the best sounding tubes for the LD. The amp can be had for about $140 shipped new or much less used. I think it's a steal at either price. And just FYI...I am using Grado SR325i's with this setup and I personally think it is fantastic though I would like to explore some new DAC options. So with the LD and even the best tubes, you should be able to come in at $200 or less.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 9
I currently own a set of these headphones and have been considering going with an LD.  Would I be better off with the Mark IV or is the 1+ a better match?  If the 1+, what tubes do you suggest as there appears to be many options.  Thanks.

Kevin

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 9
I personally don't know if the LD 1+ is better or not than the Mark IV. I have no experience with the former. However I do know that the SR325i's do work very well with the LD 1+. There are several tubes that are highly regarded used with the LD. The Sylvania GB-408A seems to be the most revered...and hardest to find/most expensive. Then there are the Mullard EF92 that seem to have really good reviews as well and can be had pretty inexpensively. There are also some opamp rolling that can be done with the LD too that seems to make some differences. I have been working on the Little Dot 1+ tube rolling thread and it has loads of great info. I am on page 30 of 64...lol...but if you are seriously considering this amp...I would recommend checking out the thread. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks, I ordered the LD 1+ yesterday with the upgraded tubes.  Paid the extra $50.00.  Considering I listened to the Grado RA1 for $500.00 and didn't like it, I saw no harm in spending $159.00.  David sent me a link to the manual, do you have to remove the jumpers and use the amp in high gain?  Or is the gain ok right out of the box?  Looking forward to receiving the amp.

Kevin

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 9
I can't remember. I do know I had to change jumpers to use my 408 tubes.

Quote:
Thanks, I ordered the LD 1+ yesterday with the upgraded tubes.  Paid the extra $50.00.  Considering I listened to the Grado RA1 for $500.00 and didn't like it, I saw no harm in spending $159.00.  David sent me a link to the manual, do you have to remove the jumpers and use the amp in high gain?  Or is the gain ok right out of the box?  Looking forward to receiving the amp.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back