Just Ordered Sennheiser HD 595's......
Jul 1, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just reading a thread that gave good reviews from several Head-Fier's who recommended the Little Dot 2 ++ as an introduction to tube amps.
Reviewers said they were a good match with Senn's.

I agree. I can't speak for the LDII++, but my HD-595 / LDII+ was an enjoyable combination, and improved, albeit not a night / day difference over my receiver's 'phone jack.

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #17 of 24
its not really fair to compare the sr 60 to the 595's
wink.gif

I've gotten a great couple years out of my 555's, but i'm ready for the other side of the spectrum as far as sound signatures go...and just ordered some sr225's last night
biggrin.gif

Hope you enjoy them!

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #20 of 24
HD595's have a huge potential. You can use a tube amp but it is not mandatory. My own SS portable design has been compared to Millet Hybrid and guys testing the equipment pointed out my amp's superiority to any other in the meeting, including Millet Hybrid with diamond buffers. This amp fares better when driving HD580's. However, I'm very curious how HD595's would pair with a tube amplifier, so I'm considering building one or ordering Little Dot MkIII with future upgrades in mind.
There is also a working trick for HD595's thin bass issue (some people perceive it that way) - resistors in series with each headphones' transducer. 75 ohms for 50 ohm version and 180 ohms for 120 ohm version of HD595. So, be happy to have ordered the headphones that cannot sound bad just because of so many ways to tune up their sound signature.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, Roger, when i got my 595's I sold my Grados. All the detail I loved was up there, but the Senns are SO much smoother. I was listening to a lot of bluegrass at the time, at the Senns blew my SR60s away. Really, I preferred them in every way. I would buy them over any comparably priced Grado all over again.

Now, not to have you spend more money, but start socking it away for some tubes. I played the 595s through a Millett Hybrid, and they absolutely came alive in the bass. I bought them originally because I didn't want an amp, too. However, wait until you have a few more posts here. If you 200 without an amp of any sort, I'll be surprised. Just don't too it so quickly that you don't know what you're listening too. get to know them for a month or two, then try an amp. They don't need it, to be sure, but they love it nonetheless.

Excellent advice Sherwood! Although I plan to keep my sr 80's also so I can enjoy the different signature sounds when I'm in the mood. You mentioned bluegrass with your 595's. I can't wait to hear some Alison Krauss & Union Station with these things!!!!!!

The wait is killing me!

Thanks for your reply!

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #22 of 24
Why sell the Grados?! The point is to amass a huge collection and hoard em alL!

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 24
Actually, it was "100 miles or more" that sealed the SR60s fate. Alison's voice is drastically clearer on the Senns. It really is night and day, and hearing it I could never go back. I can't stand distortion in my signal, and the 595 is extremely clean and clear. You'll love it.

I'm really a one headphone kind of guy, though. Get the right one, and let it do what it does best. The 595s knocked the SR60s off the ladder. Sorry Grado, you may come back.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #24 of 24
Roger, I'm sorry you have to wait! But, once you put them on, you'll be glad
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back