Just ordered Audio Technica ATH-IM03. But is this best in class?
May 18, 2015 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PinkyPowers

Reviewer: The Headphone List
Good evening Head-Fi, you evil, cash-sucking vampires. You've made me do it again and drop $300 on a single piece. I saw the discussion thread on the whole ATH-IM line, and couldn't resist.

I wanted an upgrade to these fabulous Klipsch X7is I've been loving for a few months now. Based on that Head-Fi thread, the ATH-IM03 looked as if they'll be just that. So I placed my order earlier this morning on Amazon.

But then I started thinking, was this a wise purchase? I didn't even consult you folk. Maybe there's a better choice. Maybe cheaper and better.

What say you? Is this money well-spent?

-~::Pinky_Powers::~-

May 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 3
I would head to the ATH discussion thread and ask a few members their opinion.

What you're going through is normal, we all wonder if the purchase is going to be justified. Most importantly being able to control your expectations is strongly advised. Many people make a purchase then read Head-fi threads while waiting, this builds up enormous expectation.

When the item arrives they rip the packaging open, shove them in their ears and more than often are welcomed with disappointed because the sky's didn't open up, you didn't meet Kurt Cobain in person like Head-fi said you would.

All is not lost though because first impressions should be taken with salt grains.

After a few days, once you adjust, learn the signature you begin to appreciate something.

Basically, keep it real. 

Goodluck

May 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 3
My trajectory has been interesting, if not disturbing. It was only January that I began investing in decent audio equipment, starting with Klipsch R6m. Since then I've gone from the R6m to the X7i. Then I learned about DACs and picked up the DragonFly 1.2 for my work and mobile needs. My attention turned next to my home desktop, where I spent a few months assembling this Maverick D1+>Airmotive s4/Sennheiser HD600 system.

Now, once more, I look to my work and mobile setup. I'm not even sure why. I still love these X7i. Yet I can't help wonder how much better they could be with more divers. Also, I really do hate the microphonics of these Klipsch IEMs.

I guess I'll have my answer on Wednesday. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back