Just ordered all of Beethoven's symphonies: $34!
post-156619
Post #1 of 3

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
Reaction score
The Columbia House music club has every one of Beethoven's 9 symphonies conducted by Otto Klemperer (6 CDs, not a set) on sale for $2.99 each. With shipping/processing, it came to a total of $34.

They are from the Klemperer Legacy series recorded in 1958, put out by EMI Classics (24-bit remaster). I did a little research on these CDs on Amazon.com, and it seems that Klemperer probably wasn't quite as good as Karajan, but for $34, I'd say I got a hell of a deal! Amazon doesn't even have any of them other than the 9th readily available. At just over $5 a CD, I don't think I will be disappointed.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is that they might be out of stock. Columbia House doesn't exactly make it a point to update their listings frequently.

Even if I don't get all of them, I'd say it was a good find.

What do you guys think?

post-156625
Post #2 of 3

aos

May one day solve the Mystery of the Whoosh
Reaction score
The only thing I'd worry about is sound quality. Remastering done in last year or two at least does a fantastic job - in fact I end up buying tons of remastered stuff from 60's that ends up better sounding (if you can stand a bit of hiss) than most 80's digital recordings. But 1958 is a bit of a gamble, though at the price it is hard to argue. Though, the Karajan 1960's cycle is available for $20-25 Canadian here for two years now and that's pretty damn cheap.

post-156626
Post #3 of 3

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
Reaction score
These were released in 1998, so the remaster should be pretty decent. Right?

The few reviews of the 3rd and the 9th that I read on Amazon suggested that the remastering was pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)